Solved

Why isn't the parent link working in the Dawn theme navigation on Shopify?

smj_90
Shopify Partner
54 1 15

I have build a store using dawn theme.

But the problem is when I click the main navigation, the dropdown appears, which Is okay but it's link is disabled.

The link on that anchor doesn't work. I'm talking about the main navigation. 1st child and grandchild links are working fine, but if there is a dropdown level, the parent link doesn't work.

Any way to fix this???

If this helped you, please
mark this reply as 'Accepted Solution'
Thanks 🙂
Accepted Solution (1)
dmwwebartisan
Shopify Partner
12280 2546 3694

This is an accepted solution.

@smj_90 

Please find following code your sections/header.liquid file 

<summary class="header__menu-item list-menu__item link">
     <span {%- if link.child_active %} class="header__active-menu-item"{% endif %}>{{ link.title | escape }}</span>
              {% render 'icon-caret' %}
</summary>

Replace to 

<span {%- if link.child_active %} class="header__active-menu-item"{% endif %}><a href="{{ link.url }}" 
   class="header__menu-item header__menu-item ">{{ link.title | escape }}</a></span>
</summary>

Thanks!

If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution | Email: dmw.webartisan@gmail.com |  Instagram: @dmw.webartisan
Check here PageFly App to customize your pages | #1 Product Filter & Search app on Shopify | The most powerful Shopify page builder app

View solution in original post

Replies 55 (55)

dmwwebartisan
Shopify Partner
12280 2546 3694

@smj_90 

Please share store URL.

Thanks!

If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution | Email: dmw.webartisan@gmail.com |  Instagram: @dmw.webartisan
Check here PageFly App to customize your pages | #1 Product Filter & Search app on Shopify | The most powerful Shopify page builder app
smj_90
Shopify Partner
54 1 15
https://furnicio.myshopify.com/
Thanks 🙂
dmwwebartisan
Shopify Partner
12280 2546 3694

@smj_90 

Please share store front password.

Thanks!

smj_90
Shopify Partner
54 1 15

Screenshot.png

Thanks 🙂
dmwwebartisan
Shopify Partner
12280 2546 3694

@smj_90 

i have check your shop and all link working correctly . please share screenshot which link not working 

Thanks!

smj_90
Shopify Partner
54 1 15

The main parent navigation doesn't work if hey have Child under it.

They open the modal but anchor is disabled. Also, I want the link to open when the user hovers, not when clicked

Thanks 🙂
dmwwebartisan
Shopify Partner
12280 2546 3694

@smj_90 

check following screenshot

2021-10-17_21-17_dmwstore1 ~ Main menu.jpg

smj_90
Shopify Partner
54 1 15

i have set navigation from backend!

just go to the liquid code, it says summary and only {{child.title}}

no anchor,

Thanks 🙂
dmwwebartisan
Shopify Partner
12280 2546 3694

This code customization work

dmwwebartisan
Shopify Partner
12280 2546 3694

This is an accepted solution.

@smj_90 

Please find following code your sections/header.liquid file 

<span {%- if link.child_active %} class="header__active-menu-item"{% endif %}>{{ link.title | escape }}</span>
</summary>

Replace to 

<span {%- if link.child_active %} class="header__active-menu-item"{% endif %}><a href="{{ link.url }}" 
   class="header__menu-item header__menu-item ">{{ link.title | escape }}</a></span>
</summary>

Thanks!

smj_90
Shopify Partner
54 1 15

I did this too, but this will not work. as on click drop down also opens and it will have link too, so for dropdown, if i click, then it will navigate to the url but the dropdown will not work.

Thanks 🙂
dmwwebartisan
Shopify Partner
12280 2546 3694

@smj_90 

ok i will check your problem but click on arrow drop down open

dmwwebartisan
Shopify Partner
12280 2546 3694

@smj_90 

if add css or code any file please remove it

Thanks!

smj_90
Shopify Partner
54 1 15

hey i have done it. check the website now, link is also added and on hover the menu opens instead of clicking, and the url is also working now!

check, i will share the code too. i have removed the <summary> element, and converted it into <div>

Thanks 🙂
dmwwebartisan
Shopify Partner
12280 2546 3694

@smj_90 

ok, Great!

Solanum
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

How did you add the "on hover"? I would like to implement that, too!
I want to open the submenu when a user hovers over it (in addition to the user clicking the icon-caret). That would be a way better user experience. I could not get it done via css.

smj_90
Shopify Partner
54 1 15

Hi @Solanum you need to make the element <summary> to be <div>, and then add some css, for the <div> to be display none in all conditions and <div:hover> display block conditions, your menu will work fine.

Share your URL so I can suggest the code.

Thanks 🙂
Solanum
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

Hi! At the weekend I have been searching for a solution and found this one: https://community.shopify.com/c/shopify-design/dawn-theme-how-to-add-the-ability-to-hover-over-dropd... That did the trick as well 🙂

wasimkhann
Shopify Partner
18 0 1

I have same problem too. I need code for 10.0 version dawn theme plz

TanjaSalty
Tourist
7 0 0

Dear @DM Thanks for the solution! It works on desktop now, yet on mobile, if clicking on the parent collection, still the sub-collections appear and it is not possible to click on the parent collection and see all products at once/ main collection as on desktop. Any solutions? THANK YOU! 

smj_90
Shopify Partner
54 1 15

@TanjaSalty please share the link so that i can further investigate.

Also, please make sure you're doing this work in DAWN theme at line#305

because same code is available at line#95 but it's for mobile menu.

May be that's the reason your code is not working.

Thanks 🙂
happylifemask
4 0 0

I was following this thread and we have also the problem which I can't solve myself. Did someone manage do figure it out working on the mobile breakpoint?

smj_90
Shopify Partner
54 1 15

@happylifemask check my recent post

Thanks 🙂
TanjaSalty
Tourist
7 0 0

@smj_90 Any updates or ideas on how to make it work in the mobile dawn theme? That the parent category is clickable? 

smj_90
Shopify Partner
54 1 15

Yes, I did. Sorry I was away and for not replying.

Thanks 🙂
TanjaSalty
Tourist
7 0 0

@smj_90 Could you be so kind as to share the solution how to make the parent category mobile version clickable? That would be amazing. 

smj_90
Shopify Partner
54 1 15

Sure @TanjaSalty , please tell me for which version of dawn theme you need the code?

Thanks 🙂
TanjaSalty
Tourist
7 0 0

@smj_90 It would be Dawn version 2.3.0 - your support is highly appreciated! 

smj_90
Shopify Partner
54 1 15

Go to line # 114

replace the code

<summary class="menu-drawer__menu-item list-menu__item link link--text focus-inset{% if link.child_active %} menu-drawer__menu-item--active{% endif %}">
{{ link.title | escape }}
{% render 'icon-arrow' %}
</summary>

with this

<summary class="menu-drawer__menu-item list-menu__item link link--text focus-inset{% if link.child_active %} menu-drawer__menu-item--active{% endif %}">
<a href="{{ link.url }}">{{ link.title | escape }}</a>
</summary>

Thanks 🙂
smj_90
Shopify Partner
54 1 15

@TanjaSalty  share me the link of your store, so that i can further check. I guess you might need to add some custom css for the link, as at my end it's showing in purple color!

Le me know if the issue have been fixed!

Thanks 🙂
TanjaSalty
Tourist
7 0 0

@smj_90  Thank you very much!!! The mobile parent is now clickable, only thing is the font color is not the same as the other elements in the menu now and I had to pass the code in line 102 to make it work. 

I know it is a small detail, but is it possible to change the font color in the mobile menu of the clickable parent, so that the branding is all the same resp. font color? 

smj_90
Shopify Partner
54 1 15

@TanjaSalty Share your URL please.

Thanks 🙂
TanjaSalty
Tourist
7 0 0
smj_90
Shopify Partner
54 1 15

go to your base.css

add this at the bottom of the file

.menu-drawer summary a{ color: currentColor; text-decoration: none; }

This will fix your issue

Thanks 🙂
TanjaSalty
Tourist
7 0 0

Thank you so so much! It worked! 🙏🏽 Great support! Thanks a lot @smj_90 !!

smj_90
Shopify Partner
54 1 15

@TanjaSalty most welcome 🙂

Kindly mark that reply as accepted solution so that anyone else looking for the fixing in mobile version can easily navigate through without going to the whole conversation

Thanks 🙂
Shopinista
Visitor
2 0 1

The styling CSS doesn't seem to work in Dawn 4.0. Are there any other options? The URL's are now mighty fine and purple🙂

(The URL clickable fix does work!)

smj_90
Shopify Partner
54 1 15

@Shopinista share your url

Thanks 🙂
nathan1001
Tourist
4 0 0

Hi @smj_90 - thanks for this! I am using Dawn 5.0. The solution seems to work in mobile but on desktop, clicking the main menu still opens the dropdown and will not take me to the parent page. 

Note, for me the lines of code were on #118 - not 114 (not sure if that matters).

Thanks!

smj_90
Shopify Partner
54 1 15

@nathan1001 hi there, share your store link, so that i can help and check into the issue

Thanks 🙂
nathan1001
Tourist
4 0 0
Thanks @smj_90 — Site is in preview mode. Hope this works: https://qxvlt7lgq9v39fwb-2582806643.shopifypreview.com <>

smj_90
Shopify Partner
54 1 15

@nathan1001 

Go to line # 118

replace the code

</summary>

with this

</summary>

go to your base.css

.menu-drawer summary a{ color: currentColor; text-decoration: none; }

Thanks 🙂
Gam696
Tourist
6 0 4

Hi Smj_90

Hope its ok to jump on this thread I have the same issues I have done what you have suggested above and it works perfectly on mobile but not on desktop is there something else I need to do?

Thank you in advance

smj_90
Shopify Partner
54 1 15

@Gam696 

Go to line # 118

replace the code

</summary>

with this

</summary>

go to your base.css

.menu-drawer summary a{ color: currentColor; text-decoration: none; }

Thanks 🙂
Andrew136
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi @smj_90,  

I'm using Dawn 6.0.2 and followed these instruction which has partly fixed my problem.

The menu I'm using is 3 levels deep and only the child links were working.  Following these instructions the top level parent link now works as well but the sub link under that don't work.  So the grandparent links now work fine, the parent links do not work and the grandchild links work fine.  Do you know which code will need to be altered to add the <a> tag in?

Thanks,

Andrew

EDIT:

Actually think I've sorted this now by making the following changes

Line 165

Original

<summary class="menu-drawer__menu-item link link--text list-menu__item focus-inset">
{{ childlink.title | escape }}
</summary>

Changed to

<summary class="menu-drawer__menu-item link link--text list-menu__item focus-inset">
<a href="{{ childlink.url }}" style="padding-left: 0;" class="menu-drawer__menu-item link link--text list-menu__item focus-inset{% if childlink.current %} menu-drawer__menu-item--active{% endif %}"{% if childlink.current %} aria-current="page"{% endif %}>
</a>
</summary>

Line 419

Original

<summary class="header__menu-item link link--text list-menu__item focus-inset caption-large">
<span>{{ childlink.title | escape }}</span>
</summary>

Changed to

<summary class="header__menu-item link link--text list-menu__item focus-inset caption-large">
<a href="{{ childlink.url }}" style="padding-left: 0;" class="header__menu-item list-menu__item link link--text focus-inset caption-large{% if childlink.current %} list-menu__item--active{% endif %}"{% if childlink.current %} aria-current="page"{% endif %}>
</a>
</summary>

Hopefully that's OK - I added the inline style just to get a quick fix on it.

AceLearns
5 0 0

same problem 

Andrew136
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi @AceLearns I think I've sorted that although Shopify is all new to me - have a look at my reply above and see if that helps...

What I can't understand is how something so basic doesn't just work out of the box...?? 🙄

AceLearns
5 0 0

yea right? like this should be a no brainer, alright ill try to see thnx!

AceLearns
5 0 0

what about Dawn 6.0.2 a code that fixes the problem for mobile version aswell, thanks a lot!