Solved

How can I find and delete imported images in Shopify?

dlcs
Tourist
3 0 0

I imported my store from wordpress to Shopify and have been working my way through about 3000 products to clean up the image files that managed to almost all be turned sideways.

Now that it is impossible to edit product image files, I will have to re-upload new images (thank goodness I do have them on my own computer) but that also means that there will be thousands of images that need to be deleted.

I can't find the images that were imported.  The images I have uploaded since the import are under Files.  These are not the ones that I need to delete.

Kind of sorry I changed to Shopify if something as simple as image editing has been taken away with no mention of when or if this will be fixed.  I have an almost overwhelming job in cleaning up my products and this is making it even worse.

Please, at least help me find where the imported images are so that I can delete them!

Accepted Solution (1)
Allan
Community Manager
411 73 208

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @dlcs!

You're on the right track. You can remove/delete them individually or through CSV file so you can remove them in bulk. That being said, if the image files themselves aren't huge in size to begin with, it won't have a major impact in your page loading speed. 

If you're ever concerned about the page loading speed, feel free to let me know what your store URL is. I'd be happy to go through a few speed tests to cross-reference the result with you. 

Best,

Jason

Allan | Shopify Community
Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!
Your Like and Accept as Solution are much appreciated!
To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center, or the Shopify Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 12 (12)

Jay_
Shopify Partner
148 10 25
Hey there,

I can definitely understand your frustration with the migration as Shopify’s product and image upload is very unique.

Do you still have access to all the files in Wordpress?
Jay Friedmann | Developer @ Stronger eCommerce
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Want a skilled Shopify developer? Reach out at jay@strongerecommerce.com
dlcs
Tourist
3 0 0

No, I don't.

Allan
Community Manager
411 73 208

Hey, there!

Jason here from Shopify Support.

One thing to keep in mind is that Shopify's image editor is currently down. Our development team is working hard on restoring the system. Thank you in advance for your patience with us.

I understand this task can be overwhelming. The images you've imported are in the product section only. Since you're dealing with over 3000 products, the fastest way to remove the product images is through the use of CSV file. You can export all the products through the CSV file and remove the image links from the spreadsheet. Once done so, import the file back to your store admin. Don't forget to select "Overwrite any existing products that have the same product handle" so the system will automatically overwrite the product images.

07_51-nn3w5-su3c4

Alternatively, I recommend you to look into Excelify. This app offers a great way to bulk edit your products. Feel free to try the app out and see if it can help you elevate the stress.

I hope this information helps, however, should you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reply back here and I'd be happy to help out!

All the best,
Jason

Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!
dlcs
Tourist
3 0 0

If the images are only in the product section, does that mean that the only way to delete them (other than using an app like Excelify) is individually while editing a product? 

Does having excess image files in the product section slow down the website?

Thank you

Allan
Community Manager
411 73 208

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @dlcs!

You're on the right track. You can remove/delete them individually or through CSV file so you can remove them in bulk. That being said, if the image files themselves aren't huge in size to begin with, it won't have a major impact in your page loading speed. 

If you're ever concerned about the page loading speed, feel free to let me know what your store URL is. I'd be happy to go through a few speed tests to cross-reference the result with you. 

Best,

Jason

MehakBothra
Excursionist
35 0 12

Hi Jason! 

You think you could check my website & tell me how i could improve my speed score?

Its really low for the mobile view right now! 

I have reduced all banner images sizes today for my home page.

Thanks 

April1228
Tourist
4 0 4

Yesterday I was using an app PixPix and told them that we needed the ability to bulk delete from within a product. They said that is an easy add and it would be available by the next day. I woke up this morning and they had answered the call! IT WORKS! No more deleting pics one at a time.

Thank You PixPix you all rock!  PixPix is in the Shopify App Store.  https://apps.shopify.com/pixpix-simple-image-editor

Lesson: Never miss the opportunity to ask for what you want! Good Day everyone! #enduser

PixPix.jpg

PNHM
Visitor
1 0 1

Good Day @Allan ,

when i follow your instruction to delete all image links from exported IMAGE SRC column and then upload file in CSV format without any image links in IMAGE SRC column, still all images are shown in my shop. They are not deleted. 

Yes, I selected "Overwrite any existing products that have the same product handle".

Thank you for your advise

Philip

AliStone
Visitor
1 0 1

I'm having exactly the same problem - when I re-import my CSV, ticking the "overwrite" box, my new product details do indeed overwrite the old ones, but the old pictures do not vanish when I leave the new "Image Src" cells blank...

KennyFr
Visitor
1 0 1

Is it still not resolved...? Still impossible to remove product images with csv import?!

happygo
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Hi All,

I have found an alternative to use App.

I uploaded a file with very unique name in Content->Files and copied the link.

Then I used the same link in CSV products import wherever I wanted the image to be removed

Once uploaded, I went back in Content->Files and removed all files matched the unique name I used.

I am not sure if it is a logical bug in @Shopify  as when someone's using Shopify's CDN for image upload then they shouldn't reupload image instead reference it with the product and allow people to import/link/unlink images with products directly in Content Files using CSVs.

There is a possibility to save on data storage and processing time.

I hope it will be helpful.

Thanks

movsumov
Shopify Partner
58 1 21

Hi @dlcs, I see this is an old post. I hope you already solved the issue. I would like to add a solution for people who find this post through search.

You can use the Smart Bulk Delete Products app to delete product images from specific or all products.