Metafield not showing with Dawn theme

designsbymcn
Tourist
6 0 1

Hey everyone,

I'm having an issue where metafields are not showing with the DAWN theme. I'm still in the process of setting up my store. The password to enter is: diadap

Replies 11 (11)

Ecommpremium
Shopify Partner
512 43 92

hi @designsbymcn you forgot to write your store URL?

- Did we solve your issue? Like & Mark As Solution to help the community
- 300+ Video Tutorials
-Website
Ecommpremium
Shopify Partner
512 43 92

hi @designsbymcn  Are you following meta fields setup guideline by shopify for Dawn 

- 300+ Video Tutorials
-Website
designsbymcn
Tourist
6 0 1

You're right I did forget it. It's designs-by-melissacb.myshopify.com. As for the metafields set up for DAWN, where can I find that information.

designsbymcn
Tourist
6 0 1

Actually, I found that article with the setup, but I believe I've already set it up correctly.

designsbymcn
Tourist
6 0 1

Nevermind. I actually figured out the step I missed lol.

fineartprint
Excursionist
11 0 3

would you like to share it with us? I also have metafields but when i go to my products page and add a text block and try to insert dynamic sources, i can only see TITLE and VENDOR (i managed adding  NUMERIC and single line TEXT metafields but this is way to limited! )

Ecommpremium
Shopify Partner
512 43 92

can you tell me what you are doing or just give me DM so I can solve your issue! @fineartprint 

- 300+ Video Tutorials
-Website
designsbymcn
Tourist
6 0 1

Okay, I can go through each step that I did for you. Maybe you've already done these steps, but if not, hopefully this helps.

1. First under Settings>Metafields, I clicked products and set up the metafields that I wanted to show up on my product pages. In my case, it was "Details" and "How it Works". 

You can do this by clicking "Add Definition" in the upper right corner, adding a name for your definition (like Details), and then selecting a content type depending on what you will use that metafield for.

2. Once you have your metafields set up, you go to Online Store>Customize. Then from the dropdown at the top of the page, click "Default Product".

3. Under product information, click "Add Block". Choose "Collapsible Tab".

4. Add a Heading (E.g. Details). Then, in the tab content section click the "Insert Dynamic Source" Icon and choose your metafield. (Or alternatively, if you're gonna have the exact same text on all products, you could just type into the tab content section.)

5. Then on your products, you can add the metafield information, which is at the bottom of the product page.

fineartprint
Excursionist
11 0 3

thanks designsbymcn,
I also used collapsible tabs, it seems all metafield types can be displayed there.

The issue was that i could not add custom metafields on a text block where there is the button/option to add metafields as well. But not all, only TITLE, VENDOR (default) and the custom metafields of TEXT (single line) and numeric, maybe others. But not TEXT multi-line, URL etc, 

It does not make sense to add all metafield info in collapsible tabs!

In my case i can now display the info i want but i am thinking about other options where collapsible tabs are not the way to do things. How do you display multiline TEXT metafield then? 

designsbymcn
Tourist
6 0 1

Oh I see. Sorry. For my purposes, the collapsible tabs are good. You can set them as multiline text when you create a new metafield.

For your case,  where you want to use a text field. I'm not sure the best solution. I'm not a Shopify expert haha.

StrangeSpecies
Tourist
6 0 2

@fineartprint I've just been struggling with the same for the last hour, and I think @designsbymcn actually mostly has it. My theme (like yours probably, I'm on Craft) came with some collapsible fields already built into the product page for things like care instructions, materials, etc. I could not for the life of me get them to give me any of my metafields as an option. So I followed designsbymcn's instructions right down to the letter, including creating new collapsible fields. Like I literally just made new ones exactly like the ones that had already been there, and when I went to link up the metafields to the new collapsibles, they were just there. I have no idea why that worked and I'm incredibly frustrated that the original ones were placed there just to make me mad. 😄 But give it a try maybe? The only issue I continued having is that some types of metafields still don't show up. Like I was trying to use Measurements and it just wouldn't acknowledge that it exists, so I put it in as a simple text field instead. (It's faster for me to enter in my product listings that way anyway.)