FROM CACHE - en_header

SEO problem Duplicate Titles and Meta-Descriptions, from collections pages.

redwintersleep
Tourist
9 0 4

So I have multiple issues that I seek to resolve here if anyone can help.

Firstly, it is the fact that I have duplicate URL's that lead to the same product example:

1) www.domain.com/collection/frontpage/products/product
2) www.comain.com/products/product

These show up as duplicate meta-descriptions and title cause they are the same page. Now, I ALREADY have a canonical attribute set in the theme.liquid. So when I check the souce code for both the above pages, it actually leads to the second one in both cases which is the TRUE url. However, the first url doesnt redirect to the second, is this a problem in terms of SEO? Could I do something to fix that?

My second issue is this, I have pages that end in "tag" which I really don't know why they are there, can somwhow remove these pages? 

Can I also just noindex the collections pages altogether? I mean what is the SEO value of that? I only have 6 products planned to sell anyway.

Lastly the blog is paginated and comes up with the page=1 and page=2 etc at the end of the urls, these also show as duplicate titles. Is this an SEO issue?

Lastly Lastly, how can I individually change the SEO attributes, liek H1 tags, meta descriptions, titles etc of eac of the blog posts and pages, as well as their slugs, if I want to. I could do it easly in wordpress but cant in shopify.

Thanks

Replies 3 (3)
grotful
Shopify Partner
12 0 11

Here's a post I made the other day that I think covers some of your questions:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is intended behaviour from Shopify, it will create multiple links for each collection a product is in. This isn't a problem for duplicate content as the canonical link is always set to the original product (So, google is told where the original is and not to mark down for duplication).

However, if you do want to change this, it needs to be done in the theme's .liquid files that build the links to your products. This will vary theme to theme, but in "Supply" (the one I'm using) you can find the relevent line of code in the Snippets section, as "product-grid-item.liquid". We're looking for the link to the products, like this:

<a href="{{ product.url | within: current_collection }}" class="product-grid-item">

The important part is inside the brackets {{ }}. product.url is used to generate the url for the product, but this also has a 'within' filter applied to it. This within filter makes sure that the link that's generated includes a reference to the current collection. Seeing as you want the URLs all to point to /products/ you can just remove that filter. So that snippet would like like this:

<a href="{{ product.url }}" class="product-grid-item">

More info is available here: https://help.shopify.com/themes/liquid/filters/url-filters#within
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as the SEO purposes, I believe it's to provide search engines with more context. For example:
website.com/products/cool-red-design VS website.com/collections/t-shirts/products/cool-red-design

The page=2 on the end of the blog URLs shouldn't be an issue.

To edit the SEO attributes on a product, page or blog post, scroll down until you see "Search engine listing preview" and click on "Edit website SEO"

redwintersleep
Tourist
9 0 4

Thanks I think that clarifies most of it 

David_OL
Shopify Partner
58 1 3