STUCK need advice, thank you! (LEARNING SHOPIFY)

zully786
Visitor
1 0 0

hi guys

with the new 2.0 update, and even before that just generally speaking I was struggling to find an effective way to study Shopify theme development and some basic ecommerce UI/UX design.
I have given myself a goal to study intensively over next 6 months; upwards of 40+ hours a week, with the end goal of setting up a solo business and acquiring freelance clients post study in 6 months time hopefully! 

Im really passionate and excited about e-commerce and want to study the ecosystem well enough to be able to develop/edit shopify themes for customers at an advanced level, and potentially even take care of some basic e-commerce UI/UX design (I have a little study/experience in this) & marketing (example: FB and Insta ads, and basic SEO).

Could you please suggest a plan/pathway and study resources/courses that would solve my problem?

thank you in advance! 🙂

Reply 1 (1)

Mac
Shopify Staff
1642 167 258

Hi, @zully786

Mac here from Shopify. Thanks for reaching out in our Community forums. I’m happy to help. 

There’re many different pathways to consider when learning a new skill like theme development. Some prefer to read documentation beforehand, while others prefer the more hands on approach. I will share a few resources that you can use to develop and grow your Shopify theme development knowledge.

• To get started, the Shopify Partner Academy is a great tool that will introduce you to the Shopify platform and provide a solid foundation for you to test your knowledge. 
  • Once you are familiar with our platform, we offer a free guide that will cover all of the commonly used tips, tricks, and techniques to start modifying, developing, and building Shopify themes.
  • Another great resource is Kurt Elster's three-hour course that is intended for beginners and will teach you how to get started with theme modification, along with business techniques to start out your business. 

Also, feel free to visit our Shopify Developers page to view all our up to date documentation on how to build with Online Store 2.0.

I don't want to overwhelm you with information right now. So, let me know when you're done reading through those resources on themes, and then we can move on to how to get your learning started with ecommerce marketing.

Mac | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog