Variants - Link product options

TyW
Community Manager
451 63 1206

Update secondary menus in line with the current selection, to avoid showing unavailable combinations of options when a customer is choosing from multiple menus. In short, you don't want your customers to encounter this:

link-01.jpg

When your store's visitors make a selection in the first drop-down, you want the values in the second drop-down right below to be updated to list only those values that are available in combination with their first selection.

If a product has three options, you want the same to happen when one selects a value in the second drop-down. You want the values in the third drop-down to be updated to only list values that are available in combination with the two selections made above.

This works from top to bottom. Think of the typical "select a country then select a town" scenario. Selecting a country in the first country element updates the second town element to only contain towns found in that country.

Shopify does not give you linked options out of the box. It makes all choices in all drop-downs available. For example, all possible sizes will be listed in your Size drop-down and all colors will be listed in your Color drop-down, regardless what combinations exist or are in stock.

Linked options can be added to your theme in two steps.

1. From your Shopify admin, go to Online Store > Themes.
  2. Find the theme you want to edit, and then click Actions > Edit code.
  3. Under Snippets, click the link Add a new snippet.
  4. Name your new snippet linked-options.

link-02.png

5. In your new snippet file, paste this code hosted on GitHub.
  6. Click Save.
  7. Under Layout, locate the file theme.liquid, and click it to open it in the code editor.
  8. Near the end of the file, right before the closing </body> tag, paste the following code:

{% render 'linked-options' %}

link-03.png

9. Click Save.

TyW | Online Community Manager @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Replies 61 (61)
MHDB
Tourist
3 0 8

Hi @Joel-at-digish 

Are you able to share your solution with the rest of the world?

Would appreciate it a lot!

Best,

Marlon

Joel-at-digish
Shopify Partner
3 0 1

Hey @MHDB I don't know the final solution. As I mentioned before, I hired the job with Okas Concepts. I tried it myself following this video: https://youtu.be/vspWDu_POYA and it only worked after selecting 1st and 2nd Options on a Variant and then going back to select the options again, like having to do that in order for the snippet inserted (see video) activates and start working. Apparently for some themes it works right from the get go, but for others you need to tweak a little. The guys at Okas Concepts did it in less than 2 days. Probably is nothing complicated but you gotta have some good coding knowledge and understanding of Themes structures.

Wish you luck! 

PublicApps
Shopify Partner
146 5 34

The solution differs for different themes/stores. Also, when themes get updated, the solution may get outdated, because it makes assumptions about the store's code. Anyone with a little web dev experience, would be able to help you with this though.

Public Apps | Theme customization & App development
 - Was my reply useful? Like it to let me know!
 - Did I answer your question? Please mark as Accepted Solution.
 - Need more help? Contact us.

AvidBrio
Shopify Expert
295 17 29

@PublicApps   this solution work with many themes we implemented  may be all other help 

@MHDB  @Seahawksean 
https://community.shopify.com/c/Technical-Q-A/how-to-show-the-linked-option-on-Minimal-theme/m-p/103...

If you find our comment helpful, hit the like button and accept it as a solution.
Want us to implement custom changes in your store? Contact us
Email me directly - jim@avidbrio.com

Joel-at-digish
Shopify Partner
3 0 1

Hi there,

Is there now any available solution for sectioned themes? 

Thanks,

LiamR
Visitor
1 0 1

Hi there, I can get this to work on my product pages. But if I use a "featured product" block on another page, it doesn't work.

I've tried adding the {% render 'linked-options' %} tag into the includ-featured-product.liquid snippet but still doesn't seem to be working. Not sure if I'm pasting it in the wrong section or if it just flat out won't work for this type of use.

MHDB
Tourist
3 0 8

I have the same problem with my Narrative Theme. The code works fine on the product page, but not in the featured product section. Although these two sections get the dropdown fields from the same file "product-unit-price.liquid".

Unfortunately, I could not find out what is different with product-template.liquid.

I hope this topic is still relevant and there is a solution.

@TyW  Are you able to provide us with further information?

Best,
MHDB

CherryChung
Excursionist
23 0 7

Thanks, it worked perfect for Modular theme.

piranha
7 0 0

When having 2 dropdown menus for 2 variant options, I go ahead and change one option and then it says "unavailable" even though that variant-combination exists. Then I go ahead and change the variant option and it goes to "available". Then I switch back to the old variant options which showed "unavailable" which now shows as "available".

markboehlen
Shopify Partner
12 0 1

I am not exactly sure what would cause that.  Thinking on how the drops are populated, I would look at the order of your Variants and make sure the first ones are available - meaning the first ones that the system picks on initial load.

Roar_Sweden
Excursionist
35 0 10

Anyone got this to work with Prestige 7.X.X (2.0 theme) and if so, could you maybe show me where to put the code? It is really hard to find a good app for this and making a app from scratch is really costly. 😞 

Shopify Partner
1 0 0

You can try focal theme by maestroo to hide the stock out or sold out items from shopify store, it's work very well.