100 VARIANT LIMIT

Chase3
Tourist
8 0 7

Please for the love of God Shopify increase this. I'm begging you with all of my heart and soul. 500-1000 would be amazing. Literally on my knees at this exact moment. It can't be that difficult of a fix. 

Yes I know there are ways around this with apps and line items. We can't use those hacks as we are using a fulfillment app which only allows us 100 variants.  

Replies 28 (28)
Jason
Shopify Expert
10500 178 2109

What sort of products do you sell that require 1000 variants?

I jump on these forums to help and share some insights. Not looking to be hired, and not looking for work.
Don't hand out staff invites or give admin password to forum members unless absolutely needed. In most cases the help you need can be handled without that.
★ http://freakdesign.com.au ★
Chase3
Tourist
8 0 7

Basically we need to be able to list our products on Amazon as parent products.

Here's an example:

https://www.amazon.com/Boilermakers-Tri-Blend-Football-T-Shirt-X-Large/dp/B01KQ3DDZ4/ref=sr_1_11?ie=...

See how there are 50 different schools and 4 different sizes? That's 200 variants on Shopify. The reason this is so much better is because it helps monumentally with Amazon SEO.

Like I said, I have thought in depth about this and I know there are apps which allow you to exceed this limit, but I use a fulfillment app which prevents me from being able to do this so it's not an option. 

Juan_Rivillas
Shopify Partner
2 0 2

Hi, 

Actually I need the same. I have one custom product (t-shirt) that comes into 30 colors, 5 sizes and have 10 custom messages. I wanted to have all this options as variants of the product. In the future it can have more custom options.

What should I do? What options do I have? 

Thank you

Playful_Bantere
3 0 0

Yes, please raise the variant limit. 100 is way too low. 

Chase3
Tourist
8 0 7

Jason is there anything you can do about this? I will literally pay $100 more to have my variant limit raised. This is a huge limitation for me and I have to switch to Magento if there is nothing that can be done about this. 100 variants is for the birds. 

Jason
Shopify Expert
10500 178 2109

It's a limit that is set by the platform so there's no workaround to increase that. The options you have right now would be:

• Use line item properties (assuming the line item property doesn't change the price)
  • Split the product in smaller products.
  • Split the product in smaller products, but use theme code join multiple products into a larger looking one. Example.
  • Build an app that uses the Shopify API to create a single product on the fly, based on what the customer adds.
  • Or some combo of all.
I jump on these forums to help and share some insights. Not looking to be hired, and not looking for work.
Don't hand out staff invites or give admin password to forum members unless absolutely needed. In most cases the help you need can be handled without that.
Chase3
Tourist
8 0 7

Why does the platform limit it to 100 variants? There is no workaround here I have to change platforms as a result of this. Why don't they allow customers to have more then 100?

Jason
Shopify Expert
10500 178 2109

Infinite is not a valid limit when you're building software that can scale on demand and handle huge volumes of traffic as well as Shopify can. Limits define the upper end (eg: every single product times max variants = max possible variants on the entire platform to deal with) so would give devs, hardware ops, network team, etc something to run their modelling on. Without a limit, you can only guess.

I have zero knowledge on the reasoning behind picking that number. If I was to guess it would have been a number that made sense for the vast majority of stores on the platform. There'll always be some edge cases limits don't allow for.

Gabriel_Bourke
Tourist
5 0 1