adding a line to robots.txt file

Solved
MB1
Tourist
43 0 1

Hi, I need to add a line to robots.txt file for my SEO to trace, how can this be done??

Regards

Martin

0 Likes
Benjamin_C
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
368 0 42

Hello There, Ben here - your Shopify Guru! 

The robots.txt file is techincally not editable. Our documentation can be found here:

https://docs.shopify.com/support/your-website/navigation/robots-txt

What exactly are you trying to add to the robots.txt? Are you trying to implement a trackign pixel or some sorts? If you can elaborate we might be able to find a solution for you :)

Cheers,
Ben Czegeny - Shopify Guru
Support@Shopify.com

0 Likes
HansMast
2 0 0

I need to add a line to robots.txt as well. This line, which Shopify generates I believe, is broken:

Disallow: /collections/*sort_by*sort_by*

It should be:

Disallow: /collections/*sort_by*

I've tested it in the Google Robots.txt test tool and found that the former does not disallow crawling of duplicate "sorted" pages while the latter line (which I manually fixed) does disallow crawling URLs of duplicate sorted pages.

Please fix the underlying bug and show me how to manually add a line to robots.txt.

0 Likes
Trevor
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
2786 365 563

This is an accepted solution.

Hello!

As of today, June 21st, 2021, we have launched the ability to edit the robot.txt file to give merchants more control over the information that is crawled by search engines. You can learn more about how to edit your robot.txt file through our community post here

Due to the age of the topic, I will be locking this thread and marking it as resolved to help direct anyone that lands on this page. If you have any questions about the new feature, please do not hesitate to create a new post under our "Techincal QA" board.

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes