Solved

Apply discount together with free shipping

Tehreem
Shopify Partner
22 0 26

Hi,

Is there a way I can apply a fixed discount (or percentage) together with free shipping? Or any workaround?

Thanks

Accepted Solution (1)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

This is an accepted solution.

Hey everyone,

Good news! Discount Combinations are here. You can now combine discount codes (manual or automatic) and have multiple automatic discounts running at the same time. Check out our announcement to learn more!

This also works with the newly released option to create automatic free shipping discount feature we launched September 13. 

If you have questions about Discount Combinations then please create a new post in the Shopify Discussions board. If you need account specific help with your discounts, then please contact Shopify Support directly.

Thank you!

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 354 (354)
TammyD
Visitor
2 0 0
I need this feature too. Is anyone from Shopify going to respond to these requests?

##- Please type your reply above this
danielle_LF
Visitor
2 0 2

+1 vote for this feature please

MauveMoustache
Visitor
2 0 2

You can add my vote too. Is there a way around it?

adamsmitt
Visitor
1 0 1

my vote for future changings

Switzerlander
Visitor
1 0 1

Please add my vote too!

porcupine_desig
Visitor
1 0 0

We are in need of multi and or complex promo codes. Free Shipping + Discount is a big need. When will this be ready? 

Nick007
Tourist
3 0 2

yes please add the ability to stack discount types onto ONE coupon code.  this seems so intuitive i don't know why it wasn't created from the beginning!?

AfterDarkGrafx
Shopify Partner
219 13 57

We ended up biting the bullet and used a paid app.  Discount Ninja.  I liked this app so much I made video about it here: https://www.afterdarkgrafx.com/combine-discount-code-free-shipping-shopify/  

It is silly that Shopify does not offer this simple ability on their basic platform 😞  - Anyway, we are not affiliated with them, I just tested out several apps and this one stood out.  It starts at $29/mo but pays for itself.  - good luck

James Byrne, Owner, Information Architect (USMC VET)
After Dark Grafx - Since 1992
"We Work After Dark, So You Don't Have To!"
https://www.afterdarkgrafx.com

Services: Website Design, Mobile App Development (iOS, Android, Windows), Ecommerce, Magento, Shopify, Miva, BigCommerce, Search Engine Optimization, Wordpress, Hosting, Graphic Design, Merchant Accounts, Consulting and all things web related!

Certified Partner/Developer/Affiliates: Shopify, Google Integrator, Wordpress, Zoho, AuthorizeNet, Geotrust and a Member of the San Diego Regional Chamber of Commerce, Veteran Owned Businesses, Veteran's In Business Network.

I also build custom apps for Shopify!
Maria-Colorful
Visitor
1 0 1

THIS FEATURE IS NOT AVAILABLE YET 😞 ANY NEWS GUYS???

MarianaUSA_acct
Visitor
1 0 2

Please add our vote as well! We need this and were disappointed it doesn't exist yet.

SoonerMama
Tourist
11 0 3

Hi! Please add me as a vote for this feature too. We are switching from WooCommerce to shopify and have deals with organizations that promote our brand in exchange for a %off plus free shipping if their code is used. They will have to use 2 codes as of now I guess in shopify unless i can find an app that allows the combination or stacking of discount types

RobinD
Visitor
2 0 11

Let's go already! This funcuality should exist now.  

Jeremy-GCL
Visitor
1 0 1

Add our vote as well. Loooooooong overdue for all of the reasons cited by various site owners and managers in this thread. Discount + free shipping is as fundamental as BOGO, GWP, etc. I'm fortunate, our company can afford a monthly app fee to stack a %-off discount with free shipping, but I shouldn't have to. This is nuts.

BKMc
Excursionist
11 0 9
I would suggest to everyone reading this thread and who by default is
frustrated and perplexed as to why stackable discounts are purposely left
out that a more understanding and actionable response might be available
from the 3 gentlemen listed below. Feel free to drop a friendly tweet
letting them know your thoughts.

@tobi
@danielweinand
@scottica

If these 3 can’t get something done then Shopify is truly rigged

Palys
Visitor
2 0 5

To whom it all may concern,
I am taking the time to write this as this feature would be extremely valuable to me and I have wanted it since l opened my store.
A one off discount code with free shipping has been asked for since I looked into it and launched my store in July of 2017. It is clearly a valuable for Shopify store owners and if you own a store, you know why this ask is valuable for new customer growth. I am not so sure this request is falling on deaf ears and taking votes for something that is clearly desirable for shopify store owners, asking for it in a chat forum, appears NOT to be the way to get this feature added to the platform. It seems like such a simple software tweak to the platform, that one would think, why was this not within the platform when it hit the ground running initially? Maybe there are other reasons that we, storeowners, cannot understand. But the fact remains, it continues to be asked for with no response to a timeline to get this done. This request/feature needs bigger attention and it needs to be escalated and asked for more in some other ways to get more attention, maybe social media or at a shareholder conference call question and answer session to get a senior "C" suite official to answer.
I suspect maybe one of these individuals below could get this done quickly or at least to the top of the “to do or change request list” and maybe if they are reading this will act on it and not just add my name as another ”vote”.
Tobi Lütke, Founder & Chief Executive Officer
Craig Miller, Chief Product Officer - Product and User Experience Teams at the Company.
Toby Shannan, Chief Support Officer - Customer Service Strategy for Shopify
Let me be clear, this is not a vote “yea or nay” request. It is a valuable request/feature for a shopify store owner. So if any of the individuals above are reading this, let’s get this done! And if Peter is still around, or some other shopify guru is reading this, why don’t you take a printout of this forum chat history and get it in front of the executive through your internal email network or drop it in the suggestion box!
I am sure this request shows up in several other forums/topics and is a popular request, so let’s get this done for the New Year!
Respectfully yours,
Paul R Lystiuk Shopify Shareholder & Store Owner - 3C Underwear

Thomas_Romer
Explorer
45 0 30

@tobi, @danielweinand, @scottica

Why are such basic things so HARD to get Shopify to offer. It is astounding that such basic features not only cannot seem to be added in over 2 years of requests, but shouldn’t have to be asked for to begin with. Additionally, we have to pay 3rd party companies $$ on a monthly basis to get basic functionality. I see very little change on the platform over the three years I have been here. I used to make websites so I know coding such things can be tricky, but should be very manageable for such a large company. This comes from someone who is not only using the platform for my core business, but I am also a share holder.

Get to these basic requests.

Truenorthmapco
Visitor
2 0 2

Add my vote as well!

Jorstar
Shopify Partner
1 0 0
I need this feature as well. My customers want it and I don’t want to set free shipping all the time.
wiklondon
Visitor
1 0 0

Hey Peter

We need this feature urgently as well

shopamapa
Shopify Partner
18 1 3

@Trevor this is very important feature because we want to give products away for completely FREE. For promotions, gifts etc. This is the age of influencer marketing and you need to go with the ages or become brontosaurus of ecommerce!

JessLeon
Visitor
2 0 1

We would like to use free shipping fo friends and family who will pick the products up in person, plus give them a discount as thanks. 

Right now they have to pay for shipping despite not needing it. We could discount further but the feeling then is that they still paid for the shipping service which was not used

Delbarton_Shopi
Tourist
12 0 2

We need this too.  We are a non-profit school store.  We give our faculty customers a discount on all products so have a discount code set up for them.  But since they can come and pick up their orders from the school store since they are already there teaching, we don't need to charge them shipping.  We don't want to offer local pickup because during this pandemic, parents are not allowed at the school so we wouldn't want this option offered to everyone. Is there a way to offer local pickup only to a select group of people?

Delbarton_Shopi
Tourist
12 0 2

Also, why isn’t free shipping one of the options under automatic discounts like it is for discount codes?

Rewindd22988
9 0 0

This seems to work, it’s not the best idea but it’s something

https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-Design/How-to-give-free-shipping-with-100-discount-code/td-p...

RubyOfTheSea
Visitor
1 0 0

we need this desperately as well. This will allow us discounted $ + free shipping (for local pickup) and simplify our account. Seems pretty straight forward needs for business owners. 😉

Count me vote in pls

Pedroy
Visitor
1 0 0

I would also like my vote added

PublicEnemy
Tourist
7 0 6

We would urgently like this feature. In our case, we want to send out promotional inventory to people and have a discount code that allows for 100% discount + free shipping.  

we are trying to avoid someone getting to checkout and being required to cover shipping. 

AfterDarkGrafx
Shopify Partner
219 13 57

Don't know if you read all of the posts in this thread but I posted on 3/21 this

"We ended up biting the bullet and used a paid app.  Discount Ninja.  I liked this app so much I made video about it here: https://www.afterdarkgrafx.com/combine-discount-code-free-shipping-shopify/  

It is silly that Shopify does not offer this simple ability on their basic platform 😞  - Anyway, we are not affiliated with them, I just tested out several apps and this one stood out.  It starts at $29/mo but pays for itself.  - good luck "

Services: Website Design, Mobile App Development (iOS, Android, Windows), Ecommerce, Magento, Shopify, Miva, BigCommerce, Search Engine Optimization, Wordpress, Hosting, Graphic Design, Merchant Accounts, Consulting and all things web related!

Certified Partner/Developer/Affiliates: Shopify, Google Integrator, Wordpress, Zoho, AuthorizeNet, Geotrust and a Member of the San Diego Regional Chamber of Commerce, Veteran Owned Businesses, Veteran's In Business Network.

AfterDarkGrafx
Shopify Partner
219 13 57

AND UP VOTES do nothing except make you feel better about letting Shopify know it is needed... sorry 

What sucks is, you finally find a system like Shopify that works for you but then you are crushed with subscription apps for some basic functionality or have to use an expert like me. The good thing, it keeps me working but they really should implement some basic features that 99% of other commerce carts have. 😞     

If you do not need advanced features, your budget is low and are selling basic widgets then Shopify is for you. Otherwise, at some point in your, "I have so many apps it cost me X dollars" it may be time to upgrade your Shopify plan or start visiting other vendors.  I have found that upgrading to the plus plan, although expensive, sometimes ends up being cheaper than all the apps people add to their websites (and yes, you will need some apps on Shopify Plus). 

Remember, you do not need a Merchant Account with Shopify. You also do not need to manage the day-to-day updates that other systems require. So, there are good and bad things about all carts. Good luck!

#theloveandhaterelationshipofecommerce

bdmarsh
Tourist
3 1 6

@PublicEnemy 

You may be able to handle this without a discount code update.

We do the same thing and we have our pricing table in the shipping settings set up so that the shipping cost for any $0 order is $0.

So when the promo code gets applied for 100% off then the customer will see an option for $0 shipping cost.

We use the Advanced Shipping Rules App and that is where we define the rates.  Not sure we actually need this app anymore as Shopify has beefed up their shipping settings over the years but is it relatively inexpensive and probably more of a pain to change.  If you use another shipping app or the Shopify native settings I think you can set up the same structure.

JackTr
Excursionist
24 0 12

Genius!!!!

ShushiSocal
Excursionist
11 0 22

Exactly what I wanted!!! > Offering free shipping for free order.

michaelduff
Tourist
4 0 5

Any news about combining free shipping with discount codes? Store owners have been asking for it for years. 

zqlimy17
Visitor
1 0 3

Hey guys,

I managed to make something work for my store:

I have multiple products, say product A (most expensive), B, C, D.

I have a discount code for product A which gives 100% to that product alone, but there is no free shipping if the discount code is used.

Others have said that you can create a shipping rate where if the total cart value is $0.00, create a new shipping called Free Shipping. This works, but if someone adds product B, C, D to the cart, then no free shipping.

Solution:

Change product A to 100kg.

Change the free shipping (in General Profile) so that if the total weight of the cart is more than 100kg free shipping (provided that product B, C, D are no where close to 100kg).

This way, if someone adds product A to the cart, they get free shipping regardless of price - so that when the discount is applied, they will also get free shipping.

The downside is that if someone simply buys product A alone without any discounts, they too get free shipping for product A (unless they add product B, C, or D).

Oh, and Shopify, go suck a pp.

jvyenielo
Visitor
1 0 0

I want this feature and seeing as its now 2021 and a while since this was posted, and I still cant do this - obviously Shopify hasnt added yet.

Please add.  I want to do a giveaway and give the winner a free item with free shipping.  It would have been nice to let them pick out their own item online and place the order but that doesnt seem possible without this option.  I will have to have them select what they want, provide their information and send the order that way.  As I dont want them to have to enter in any credit card information.  Shopify - please add this option to stores & listen to your customers. 

PublicEnemy
Tourist
7 0 6

@jvyenielo - We run into this same issue ALL THE TIME.  We are a new company, and constantly doing promotions or offering free product to influencers, athletes, etc.  With a 100% off promo code, our promo customers inevitably get hit with a shipping charge at checkout.  Our work around has been to just have our promo customer tell us their address, and manually create a order with 100% discount and free shipping.  Not ideal.

Conversely, we have also ran into the issue with not having the ability to "charge" shipping with big discount promo codes.  Our goods are very high-end, heavy, and we run on slim margins, so when we offer someone a Friends/Family 40% off promo code, we want to charge them shipping.  Our store offers free shipping on orders over $50.  So, when someone across the country purchases our $95 product, uses a 40% off promo code, they still end up with free shipping.  Well if that person lives across the country, shipping can easily be ~$20 given the weight.  This is crushing.  Of course, we could just change to to 30% off, but that's not really a "deal" from most peoples perspective. 

Moral of the story......Shopify simply needs to create two options/toggles in the promo code setup settings:

1) Free Shipping in all circumstances

2) Charge for shipping in all circumstances

Sixbarrelsoda
Visitor
1 0 1

We need this updated, it's been three years, surely it can be done.

Parent_Road_Min
Visitor
1 0 0

Trevor,

I'm wanting to create gift certificates to give away at a conference Apr. 1-2, 2022. How can I offer a discount with free shipping?

briangable
Shopify Partner
3 0 2

Vote me up! Stacking discounts please.

akscai
Excursionist
14 1 8

Voting for this as well. We are switching from WooCommerce where this was possible so we are in need of this feature asap. 

Aksel, Norway

FastMask
Visitor
1 0 0
Please add my vote as well. Really need this feature
SimplySpruce
Visitor
2 0 0

Just hopping on the bandwagon!

I'm running into similar issues that others have described and would love this feature!

Add a vote in from me 🙂

GonzoP
Visitor
1 0 0

Please count my vote too! 

Though given that this thread has stretched on for going on two years now, I won't hold my breath... 

Bradley_Bernhar
Tourist
6 0 2

Add a vote from me.

You're killing me with not having this functionality Shopify!

...and you've been killing me for 8 years by not having this option!

RocketResource
Visitor
2 0 0

Please add another vote from us.

How does one manage an affiliate campaign without free product and shipping?

Are you able to give an update on how many votes you have received to have this feature implemented?

Thomas_Romer
Explorer
45 0 30

It is like talking to ghosts in here. 

haydenbjewelry
Tourist
7 0 7

+1 here.

Palys
Visitor
2 0 5

FYI: All sent this letter to all Applicable Executives at Shopify this am through Linkedin

Topic: help Us Shopify Store Owners

March 30, 2020

Attention: Shopify Executive

Dear Sir,

As we all struggle through this “thing” we find ourselves in, maybe Shopify development team can help eliminate one of the problems/issues we Shopify store owners face every day.

There has been a Topic circulating for some time now (3 years?) with respect to “Apply Discount with FREE Shipping”. I won’t go into the nut and bolts of the want, however, during this time/crisis, it sure would help all of us Store Owners, especially given the fact that most of our sales revenue have fallen off or stopped completely.

Thank you in advance for looking into this.

Be safe,

Paul R Lystiuk CUO @ 3C Underwear

Ps:  https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-Discussion/Apply-discount-together-with-free-shipping

netfast
Tourist
8 0 12

Did you get a response from this?

I think maybe the best way is to bombard their Facebook. Ridiculous there is no update on this. So rather than their suggested feature request vote lets do it on their facebook directly.  Publically. Go here and add a post about it.

Copy and paste something like this or copy mine so maybe they will get the message:
21 pages of feature requests over 2 years to such a simple request. Businesses who use shopify need a solution to allow Free Shipping + Discount at the same time like all other shopping cart platforms. Come on Shopify are you really interested in being the best shopping cart platform or not???????

https://www.facebook.com/shopify

shabeer
Visitor
2 0 0

no response yet from them, thank you for making me aware about their social media platform,