Solved

Apply discount together with free shipping

Tehreem
Shopify Partner
22 0 26

Hi,

Is there a way I can apply a fixed discount (or percentage) together with free shipping? Or any workaround?

Thanks

Accepted Solution (1)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

This is an accepted solution.

Hey everyone,

Good news! Discount Combinations are here. You can now combine discount codes (manual or automatic) and have multiple automatic discounts running at the same time. Check out our announcement to learn more!

This also works with the newly released option to create automatic free shipping discount feature we launched September 13. 

If you have questions about Discount Combinations then please create a new post in the Shopify Discussions board. If you need account specific help with your discounts, then please contact Shopify Support directly.

Thank you!

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 354 (354)
mvu00
Excursionist
14 0 33

Posted this today on their page. Will see how long it lasts :

"Shopify, 21 pages of the same, basic, feature request for over 2 years, with no reply or update. Just tumble weeds. Businesses on the Shopify platform need a solution to allow Free Shipping + Discount at the same time, like 'all' other shopping cart platforms. It's a basic feature. We shouldn't have to install buggy bloat ware apps to achieve such a simple task that should be natively supported. Are you really interested in being the best shopping cart platform? Do you really listen to your customers? 21 pages. 2 years. Zero. Please put a run on the board.

Direct 1 developer on a sprint for a day and get this done, pretty please."
netfast
Tourist
8 0 12

At least you got a response. Nice response from them but doesn't really help the many businesses who need a broader solution. So keep "voting" for feature change our way ...
I cant update my original link from above but continue adding here until they fix it:
https://www.facebook.com/shopify/community/

Geeze Shopify just fix it.

not_a_bot
Shopify Partner
7 0 8

Wow. What's the problem with Shopify to not allow both Free Shipping and Discount. Vote +1. 

not_a_bot
Shopify Partner
7 0 8

Now we up to page 22! LOL

brettcasson
Tourist
6 0 4

I'd really find this feature useful too.  Another +1 please.

abbie789
Visitor
2 0 0

Amazing time get a discount and perfect timing on this amazon fba courses review website.

ModernSocieties
Visitor
3 0 0

Hello,

I am keen for this feature as well - for when customers win competitions and their prize is a free product and free shipping. Unsure how I can offer this without applying two codes at checkout. 

Kurt12
Visitor
1 0 0

We also desperately need a more functional discount code system that can handle tasks like "Buy X and get free shipping" or stackable discount codes.

Very disappointing to see no movement on this with so much demand in the community and threads dating back to 2013!

amwrapuk
Visitor
1 0 0

Our store really needs this functionality. Since we have added shipping to our order value under £10, we have had to stop giving fixed amount discount codes. 

I believe the reason Shopify will not offer the combination of discount with free shipping is that then no one would upgrade to the next plan up as it effectively replaces gift cards. 

pony
Visitor
2 0 0

I think an alternative option that would work for me is to have the "free shipping/PICK UP IN PERSON" shipping option NOT BE THE FIRST AUTO-SELECTED SHIPPING OPTION. Let's be honest, customers don't always read things through. Let's force them to personally select a shipping option. That way, they're forced to read through the options and hopefully leave the "pick up in person" option alone. 

WineMeatsCheese
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi - wondering if this has been resolved yet. Seems like a lot of people need this feature of two things in one discount code.

belindaa
Visitor
2 0 0

I'd love this too - it's perfect for new customers. Please implement!

@Trevor wrote:

Hey, @Hyascent!

Thank you for expressing your interest in getting this feature added to our platform. I've gone ahead and added your vote to our existing feature request so that our product team knows there's further interest in getting this implemented. 

Androo
Tourist
4 0 2
Can we please get some action on this as so many people have requested with good reason for it!
Andrew
cbrookerd
Visitor
1 0 0

It seems like the issue for me is that I can't create a conditional free shipping discount as an Automatic Discount. The "free shipping" option as a discount code is no good, because if they use that discount code, they can't also use another. If I could create an automatic discount that applies if the customer spends $100 or more, then this would be a perfect fit. With as many websites out there that have a "free shipping for orders over $X" options, it seems crazy that Shopify doesn't have this capability.

barelife
Visitor
1 0 0

We want this too!

JulieSev
Visitor
1 0 0

We need this too!

Barksocial
Visitor
2 0 0

Please add my vote.

This is absolutely crazy that it's not already a feature!

selahatin
Visitor
1 0 0

Please add my vote to this

This is silly. 

shoploulous
Tourist
7 0 4

Please add my vote as well. It is very frustrating I cannot offer free shipping and % off, or stacked coupons. Overall I really like Shopify, however this is a big downside to online selling through Shopfiy.

religym
Visitor
1 0 0

Any news about combining free shipping with discount codes? If not, I would love to vote for it if possible! 

Thanks!

teamsewell
Visitor
1 0 0

@Trevor We need this too. Can you add us to the feature request?

netfast
Tourist
8 0 12

Does anyone read more than the last post? Shopify are not reading or actioning this topic. There is no vote mechanism. It's a 3 year old topic. The only way to get through to them is to complain on their social platforms maybe they will listen then!!!

Luxonis-Brandon
Tourist
3 0 6

Just wanted to throw my vote on this feature as well.

Also, waxing philosophic... on feature requests like this where clearly a ton of folks want it (31 pages and counting of requests) it makes me wonder:

1. Is this the thing that prevents platforms like Shopify become more popular?  Or conversely
2. Is this actually some key of business - not implementing features that folks want - but that don't make the business any additional revenue/cash-flow.  

I'm guessing that the negative impact to Shopify's bottom line isn't big (i.e. customers won't leave or not-sign-up because of this, so 1 really isn't true) and that 2 is actually why this doesn't exist - implementing this doesn't make Shopify any more money, it just makes Shopify's customers lives a little better and this isn't a functionality that would cause a customer to leave Shopify, so then it just likely will never be implemented because:
a. There are things Shopify can implement with the same developer time that will make them money and
b. They expect to not lose a substantial number of (existing or new/potential) customers because of this limitation.  

So with that analysis, I'm guessing this will never happen.  Unless someone in Shopify reads this and says: "You know what?  Let's just crank this out as it will make so many customers happy!  Happy New Year, 31 pages of Shopify customers needing this!"

Cheers,

Brandon

sikksikk
Visitor
2 0 1
Why is this still not done?

shoploulous
Tourist
7 0 4

Couldn’t agree more. Between this and  the fact that you have to buy an app to do the most basic things I’m considering switching my POS system.   To do an exchange in store it’s a 5 minute process and god for big the customer doesn’t have their phone on them to get the email for store credit. It’s a nightmare. Shopify should really take this seriously bc it rooks will realize paying a little more IS worth it once you start adding up all the costs. 

ozzyonfire
Shopify Partner
47 2 17

As far as I know, this is possible with Shopify Plus and some custom code during checkout. 

However, Shopify Plus is very expensive, which is probably the reason that this basic functionality isn't built into their core product. It's forcing people to jump into Shopify Plus...

Matt_Hopkins
Visitor
1 0 0

You said shopify plus does this? How? Did you get it to work? I need this feature as well.

EaBraddock
Visitor
1 0 2

Shopify + still does not support this functionality. Absolutely ridiculous for a company of this size to have completely ignored this feature request for so many years. 

Slurrie
Shopify Partner
20 1 34

From memory this was possible in Shopify+ using Flow rules.
It's been awhile since I've used the plus system so not sure if it's still possible though.

CFC
Visitor
1 0 0

Where can I go to add my vote? This is very important to us especially when our shipping zone is limited to our Province which is bigger than most countries. 

My only other thought is to customize shipping zones that could allow customers in our city to have free shipping. 

Thanks!

Rachel40
Visitor
1 0 1

We need this feature too! Add my vote!

Thanks!

jwin
Visitor
1 0 0

Add my vote please.

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@jwin @ChefsBFF @briangable 

Thank you for expressing your interest! I've added your votes. 

@AllINSP 

I'm afraid I'm unable to provide an ETA on a feature request as it does take time for these features to be considered, created, tested, and implemented. If this is something we're able to add to the platform, we'll update our Changelog with further information. That said, I have added your vote to the existing feature request. 

stuckonhue
Tourist
4 0 4

Please please add the ability to discount products AND offer free shipping. It seems crazy that this is not available. I'm trying to clear out of slow-moving inventory, so I'm running a warehouse sale. It would be so much more enticing to offer 20% off AND free shipping instead of just 20% off.

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@elementoutdoors @stuckonhue @lbritt 

Thank you for expressing interest in getting this feature added to the platform. I've added each of your votes to the existing feature request, so our teams know there is further interest in getting this implemented!

FRL_Jason
Visitor
2 0 2

Please add my stores to the votes list.

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@FRL_Jason 

Thank you for expressing interest.  I've added your vote! 

SarahLilith
Visitor
1 0 0

Please add me to the list of votes ! 

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@SarahLilith 

Thank you for expressing interest! I've added your vote to the existing feature request to get stackable discounts added to Shopify. 

GAckerman
Visitor
1 0 8

Please add our vote.

We are migrating from a Magento site where we have offered coupon codes combining a %OFF plus Free Shipping and/or BOGO %Off plus Free Shipping for the past 6 years! If I had known we would not be able to implement such a common promotional combination, we might not have elected to make the switch to Shopify.

I really can't believe this isn't a standard option or that none of the app developers I've looked at have truly addressed this either- at least not in a manner that is easily implemented and maintained.

GreenAndBlue
Visitor
1 0 3

Please could we add our vote to this feature. We have a show in a couple of weeks and the most obvious show offer is a discount plus free shipping, and it is a little unbelievable that this isn't something we can't just offer, leading to plenty of head scratching and work arounds. Having run wordpress and magento websites in the past this does seem a pretty basic function which, whilst I had issues with coupon codes on both platforms, I could always offer this.

Please, please shopify move this up your agenda of importance - it does seem incredibly basic functionality to be missing.

T_Otzen
Visitor
1 0 2

Hi Peter,

I've been reading through this thread and understand that you would like to know why one would need the feature to combine a discount code with free shipping.

This is the case where we really miss this feature:

Our primary marketing is done in collaboration with influencers. We have found (micro) influencers to be extremely affordable and very good for business.

In a month we might use between 10-25 influencers to promote our products. The agreement we have with influencers is that they get 2 free products including free shipping. The products have a fixed value, for which we would like to add a discount.

Then the problem arise, that we cannot add free shipping, to a discount. 

It is simply not an option to ask influencers to pay for shipment of their free products.

On top of this, we could easily increase our sales by adding 70-150 influencers per month.

I could just add all the orders manually, where it is possible to add free shipment + discount on certain products. But the time needed to handle all this manually is simply too much.

If we could give a discount with free shipping most influencers would add extra products to their order to take advantage of the free shipping already included.

Not being able to combine free shipping and discount is a real limitation to the growth of our business.

There are many things I would like to be developed from your side, but nothing more than discount + free shipping.

Beside the use I just described, in certain cases free shipping + discount is also a really good tool to use in customer service.

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@T_Otzen @GreenAndBlue 

Thank you both for expressing interest in getting this feature added, as well as providing valuable feedback on how this directly impacts your business. I've added both of your use cases to the existing ballot so our product team and developers have a clearer picture of what steps they'll need to take to ensure the feature covers the functionality you need. For future votes, I will continue to proactively add your votes to the ballot as they come in.

Rion
Visitor
2 0 3

We need this feature also. Seems like a bit of a glaring oversight.

We often ship products to influencers and can't charge them.

HelloHF
Visitor
1 0 3

We need this too. Same with lots of other shops, we need to giveaway product to influencers and 100% discount + Free shipping would be the most efficient way! Stackable coupons needs to be a standard feature!

RikardB
Visitor
2 0 0

Yes! Needed!! : ) 

raulm090
Visitor
1 0 1

@Trevor I would like to add a vote to the development of this functionality.

mvu00
Excursionist
14 0 33

@Trevor we also desperately need this.  20 pages of customers requesting this for over 2 years. Really?  Come on Shopify, it's a major limitation and this should be managed natively without having to download more clunky bloat to our store to achieve it with apps. 

danielagsb
Explorer
78 0 17

@Trevor I would also like to add my vote and wonder if in the last 2 years there has been any progress? thank you

Andrew-808
Visitor
1 0 3

@Trevor please add my vote to this as well... can't believe it's been 2 years and nothing?