Automatic Currency Based on Customer Location / IP address.

phil_s_
Excursionist
47 0 4

I was wondering if there's an app we can use for automatic currency display based on visitor's location?

Replies 15 (15)
Keegan_T
Shopify Staff
186 0 21

Hey Phil!

Totally, it's called "Auto Currency Switcher".

Keegan | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

phil_s_
Excursionist
47 0 4
phil_s_
Excursionist
47 0 4

These apps sure are costly though at $21 / month for something which should be a standard inclusion on any serious e-commerce platform like Shopify.

Any chance of Shopify also making this app in the future and including it as built-in in their paid plans?

AaronW
Shopify Expert
30 0 5

Hi Phil - We recently released a brand-new app called Coin and it's 100% free if you install before 7/10!

Give it a try, I think you'll be pleased :)

phil_s_
Excursionist
47 0 4

Hi Aaron,

Thanks. I did try Coin yesterday as the first app for this but it seemed to mess up the pricing when going to the cart. For example a product of 40 € turned into 35 €. So I removed the app.

Then I tried the other app which messed up my theme settings ( product images weren't showing anymore ) and a bunch of other stuff so I removed that one too.

HunkyBill
Shopify Expert
4625 54 535

Shopify has posted free code for this for years. It's a copy & paste job to have currency switching. So paying $21/month is a bit of a premium, but if cut & paste is not your thing... I guess you opt to pay. I cannot see Shopify doing much in this domain, they covered it pretty well back in the day.

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
phil_s_
Excursionist
47 0 4

Is there a link with documentation of this somewhere?

Jason
Shopify Expert
10500 178 2109

These are probably a good start.

I jump on these forums to help and share some insights. Not looking to be hired, and not looking for work.
Don't hand out staff invites or give admin password to forum members unless absolutely needed. In most cases the help you need can be handled without that.
★ http://freakdesign.com.au ★
AaronW
Shopify Expert
30 0 5

Phil - That definitely shouldn't be happening, it may be something as simple as an update the base rate setting. Our support team is here to help you if you'd like to reinstall :)

As Bill mentioned, Shopify has a great help doc on this topic if you don't need to auto-detect the currency and the ~12 hour delay between exchange rate updates is acceptable for your shoppers.