Solved

Bulk Assignment Products to various Shipping Profiles

KerryAlx
Tourist
5 0 2

Hi 

I have 1000+ products uploaded into my store. I now need to assign each product to one of five shipping profiles that I have set up. How can I do this in bulk? Is there an import/export CSV option? Can I bulk edit anywhere?

Many Thanks

Kerry

Accepted Solution (1)

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1693 146 297

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @KerryAlx!

Olivia here from the Shopify Team.

Great question - let's look into some solutions I can offer to help save you from manually sorting each product. At this time, there is no way to bulk assign products to shipping profiles within the Admin. The good news is that new products are automatically assigned to the General Shipping Profile. Make sure to set-up your default shipping options there.

We have some really cool app solutions to help you bulk assign products to custom profiles. Check them out below:

They are both super simple to add to your store, and include further instruction on automating profiles for your products. Remember, if you need further assistance you can reach out for support from the app devs.

With that being said, I run my own business on Shopify and can understand there's huge value in having this functionality within our bulk editor or elsewhere in the Admin. Therefore, I've gone ahead and passed this feedback along to our devs for future consideration.

Please let me know if this answers your question,

Olivia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 15 (15)

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1693 146 297

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @KerryAlx!

Olivia here from the Shopify Team.

Great question - let's look into some solutions I can offer to help save you from manually sorting each product. At this time, there is no way to bulk assign products to shipping profiles within the Admin. The good news is that new products are automatically assigned to the General Shipping Profile. Make sure to set-up your default shipping options there.

We have some really cool app solutions to help you bulk assign products to custom profiles. Check them out below:

They are both super simple to add to your store, and include further instruction on automating profiles for your products. Remember, if you need further assistance you can reach out for support from the app devs.

With that being said, I run my own business on Shopify and can understand there's huge value in having this functionality within our bulk editor or elsewhere in the Admin. Therefore, I've gone ahead and passed this feedback along to our devs for future consideration.

Please let me know if this answers your question,

Celeste-Tse
Shopify Partner
1 0 1

Hello @KerryAlx 

That is an excellent question! You can bulk assign your products by using Automated Shipping Profiles. What you'll need to do is create your Shopify Shipping Profiles, download the app and define which products should go to each profile. When it is time to run a bulk sync, our system will sort your products into their respective profiles.

Our app doesn't require Shopify's carrier rates feature and it also doesn't require an outgoing app cost; once your products are assigned, you can uninstall the app. 

If you leave the app installed, it will automatically assign new products to the proper shipping profile. You can check out our walkthough here, we also have an example store listed on the app page! 

@Olivia  Thank you so much for recommending our app! 

If you have any other questions at all, feel free to reach out to support@intuitiveshipping.com and we'll be happy to help!

Many thanks

Celeste Tse 

General Manger @ Intuitive Shipping Inc.
Intuitive Shipping | Smart Boxing | Automate Shipping Profiles
AvocadosLab
Shopify Partner
51 4 42

@Olivia any update around Shopify product development side? Couple merchants asked for this feature recently so would really love to hear insights.

I think to start with even if you provide product filters on shipping profile product selection, that would would save ton of time!

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1693 146 297

Hey, @AvocadosLab.

Thanks for connecting with us and providing your feedback.

I don't have any information to share currently, however, with all things development these things often take consideration, time and lots of testing. While I can't guarantee if or when these changes might occur, you can find updates to any of these innate Shopify features on our changelog page.

In the meantime, I'd be more than glad to pass along your additional feedback for product filters within shipping profiles. I definitely agree that would be efficient and convenient for many merchants.

Warm regards,

AvocadosLab
Shopify Partner
51 4 42

Thanks @Olivia for update.

If anyone spending ton of time selecting products, we discovered that search bar supports text filtering. So you can do things like "tag:xyz" which would automatically filter down associated products. I haven't tried other filters like "product_type, published" but I'm sure they would work out too.

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1693 146 297

Yes, definitely @AvocadosLab.

I have shared your comments with the right team for consideration, and I very much appreciate you taking the time to connect with us and help us make Shopify better.

Warm regards,

robertkros
Tourist
3 0 2

I find that this is a huge oversight by Shopify. It seems fairly obvoius to me that if you ship from a differnt location then it is highly probable that your are going to pay different rates. 

I have followed on from the comments above. 

I tag all of the items I want to put in the custom location with a tag that is the same as the loction name. 

Then when I do a search in search bar when adding to the location I use the one tag name and it finds them all. 

I also create my new products from a template that I duplicate so this saves on time a bit. 

dhansen
Visitor
1 0 4

Why is Shopify the only large ecommerce platform that doesn't have the option of assigning a shipping profile when adding a new product.  Why can't this option be added to the shipping section when creating a new product listing like Etsy and Amazon:  

Etsy Shipping Options for New ListingsEtsy Shipping Options for New ListingsAmazon Shipping Options for New ListingsAmazon Shipping Options for New Listings

I have a retail gift shop and we are always adding new innovative items with different weights and dimensions.  Having to manually add products to my 3 different shipping profiles is insanely time consuming! 

Shopify - PLEASE add this feature! 

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1693 146 297

Thanks for your feedback, @dhansen.

We have logged this internally and will make sure it gets to the right team. Thank you again for connecting with us on this matter.

Warm regards,

EnergyFox
Visitor
1 0 0

Any update on this? It has been over 2 years!

GlasBoutique
Visitor
2 0 2

It seems like Shopify kills us by paying for apps for everything. Uninstalling a lot of them is a pain and causes leftover code even though they say it doesn't. Apps, Apps, Apps.. I dislike apps so much. I had leftover code from Xoot that totally messed up my site. It went from an SEO score of 100 on Ahrefs to a 4 after I uninstalled it and gave me tons of parsing errors on google search console.. I tried for a few days to look for this code and finally had to pay a freelancer to fix it. There are rarely very very good apps (judge.me being one). Most of them slow down the site so I have to check GTMetrix and Lighthouse before AND after I install the app to see how much the app slows down the site. Facebook (which I've had for several years) permanently banned me from advertising because all the products were dumped into facebook without a product type (me being a noob then) so the products went into facebook's "medical" category. If I had the money, I would get a hosting site that I pay yearly for, pay someone to build the website the way I want it to so I don't have to pay 360 a year. Add apps to that and I used to pay almost 100 a month. I used to have my own website w/ a hosting company that I only paid $133/ year for everything. 

Shane-404
Tourist
4 0 0

Hi Olivia,

Thanks for reporting this. It is crazy that this is still an issue and that you have to use an app for functionality that already exists in shopify but hasn't been utilised. If you could submit a new ticket, it would be most appreciated.

Pippd
Visitor
1 0 2

@AvocadosLab your searching "tag:xyz" tip is a HUGE help for us, thank you for pointing this out!

Caidra
Excursionist
40 1 8

@AvocadosLab thanks for the tip on how to use the search function to assign products. Tried Tag:xyz, vendor:xyz (i have a multi vendor marketplace) and they worked like a charm to ensure the correct shipping profiles were selected. Appreciate it

Keybler
Tourist
7 0 1

"I've gone ahead and passed this feedback along to our devs for future consideration."

In New speak; We have no interest in improving the backend because we make a percentage of all app sales. We're actually motivated to make it more difficult to use, such as making you click an extra step to find the product search bar (which just happened). I have marked this request complete.