Cannot found the Product Collection in Tax Settings.

bestian
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

Hi Experts,

I have created 2 product collections, i.e. TABLE and CHAIR. 

When I try to setup the "Add Tax Override", i cannot find the product collections (TABLE and CHAIR).

Capture.PNG

Is it I have missed out something?

Please advice.

Thanks.

Replies 27 (27)

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hey, @bestian.

Elias here with Shopify Support. Thank you for reaching out.

I understand you have two collections that aren't appearing when you try to set up the tax override. It may be difficult to determine the cause of the issue without being able to see your collection or tax settings. However, I'd recommend checking whether the collections are available for the online store sales channel first. Also, if you have a publishing date set for the collection, you'll want to ensure that there isn't an error with the dates. If the collections are already available for the online store, it may also be worth toggling them by deselecting all the sales channels in the collection's availability. Remember to hit save, then re-enable them for the each of the sales channels and save again.

If the issue persists, feel free to let me know your store URL and I'd be happy to take a closer look!

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

CraigC
Visitor
2 0 2

I am having a similar issue.

When creating the Product Overide in the Tax Overide, I was able to see the several Collections I created a month ago to select from. 

I did not have a specific one that I wanted to use in the list, so I used the link in the Product Overide to create a collection.  After creating a new collection, the Add Product Override would no longer show ANY of the collections to choose from.  I'm wondering if by using the link in the Add Product Overide instead of using the normal Create Collection section is causing the issue?

I deleted and recreated the collection and still none of my collections are showing in the Add Product Override selection.  I am not able to create the Override.

CraigC
Visitor
2 0 2

The only thing that shows on the list is "Home Page"

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hey, @CraigC & @bestian.

There was an update earlier in the year for tax overrides and exemptions, which changed the way tax overrides work with smart collections. In short, tax overrides no longer works with automated collections and are restricted to manual collections. The reason for this is to avoid unexpected surprises at checkout. If you'd like more information on this, you can find this on our changelog

With that being said, since the 'Home page' collection is visible, which is a manual collection - it's possible that the other collections are automated collections. Can you confirm whether this is the case? 

Ricardas
Shopify Partner
3 0 1

Dear Shopify

We have a shop for optical glasses  and sun glasses. We have managed reduced VAT rates for optical glasses via collection and exceptions.

Now this possibility is closed.  What is the new way for managing different VAT rates for different product groups?

Regards

Ričardas

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hey, @Ricardas.

Thank you for joining the thread and that's a great question!

With the recent changes to tax overrides and exemptions, you can still create these exceptions using manual collections. Previously you can create tax overrides and exemptions for automated or smart collections. However, as automated collections pull products into the collection automatically, this change was made to prevent unexpected surprises with the tax settings. If you're interested, this was mentioned in our changelog on May 8, 2020.

With that being said, I'm not sure if this is the issue you're running into - Were your previous exceptions made with automated collections? If so, you should be able to recreate them using a manual collection.

If you're experiencing a different issue, simply let me know and I'd be happy to take a closer look!

Ricardas
Shopify Partner
3 0 1
Hi

Thanks for reply. I could still manage it with manual collection. The
issue is that we have about 300+ products here we need to apply.
And based on your description I need to add them one by one
manually instead of selecting category.

Regards
Ričardas
Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hey, @Ricardas.

Thanks for the follow-up! Glad to hear that you're still able to manage the tax overrides and exemptions using manual collections. As this change was made to avoid unexpected issues with tax settings during checkout, you will need to curate those collections manually. Nonetheless, I understand that adding 300+ products manually can be a bit cumbersome -  I'd be happy to share this feedback with our developers. 

If you have any other questions on this topic, don't hesitate to let me know!

Alexk123A
Tourist
7 0 7

I'm kinda frustrated with this as well. I rely often on Shopify's different filtering and automated features, ESPECIALLY when it comes to sales tax, which can be a tricky topic. I think that removing the option to use Automatic Collections because it might bring in surprise tax charges is treating your clients like children. People make mistakes, but someone who knows how to run a business would do as much as possible to be careful when it comes to tax matters. Please put that option back. Someone's tax mistake is not Shopify's responsibility.

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hey, @Alexk123A.

Thank you for joining the thread and sharing this feedback.

Those are all valid points and I understand how frustrating this change can be for an avid user, like yourself. Though I'm unable to guarantee that this change will be reverted, there's always room for improvements and I'm happy to share your feedback with our teams for future consideration. If Shopify moves forward with any changes, you will be able to find it on our changelogs or announcements page. 

If you have any other feedback or questions, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Amythi
Visitor
2 0 0

Below thread was helpful to me . Hope this helps you too.

https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-Discussion/Bulk-import-and-collections-field/td-p/592055

- Create new collection with manual type[eg:XYZ]

- Use csv file to upload products. It must include a new 'Collection' with values [XYZ]

acarter1
Tourist
3 0 3

I am also VERY frustrated. I was a trial customer until today but since I didn't see any email, phone or live chat support, I decided to sign up as a paying customer. But still, no email, phone or live chat support!!!

I am trying to find out how to set a different VAT rate in Shopify. Ideally, I would like to set the default VAT rate to 9%. I don't know how to do this. So, I searched and then found this thread.

Then I tried setting up an automatic collection rule and assign a custom tax rate. I read in this thread that this is not possible. So, then I tried to create a manual collection with a 9% custom tax rate. I have only one product in the store, which is part of this collection. But the check-out page is showing a 21% tax rate! So, this is not working either.

What should I do now?

Alexk123A
Tourist
7 0 7

I can't really help you with the technical stuff, as my issue did end up getting resolved, and it was a very specific issue to New York State. I'm not sure why you're getting a 21% VAT, but have you also checked your jurisdiction settings in your Tax Settings?

What I can say, is that despite Shopify's shortcomings, they do have phone support, and it's been very helpful for me many times. To access phone support, go to the regular support site, sign in to your store and search for a related topic. It will give you a few possible answers, but if you scroll to the bottom, there's a link to contact support directly.

acarter1
Tourist
3 0 3

When I search for a related topic, I indeed see a few possible answers, and if you scroll to the bottom, I do see a link to contact support directly. When I click this link, I am asked to select a store from the list (there is only 1 store) and after clicking it I am redirected to https://help.shopify.com/en/questions#/questions , so where I started. It looks like I am in a loop.

Why does it need to be so complicated?

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hey, @acarter1.

Thank you for joining the thread!

I understand that you're running into some issues with setting up different VAT rates for your store.It's important to note that we recommend consulting with local tax authorities or tax professional to verify that you charge your customers the correct tax rates, and to ensure that you file and remit your taxes correctly. Once that's done, you can follow our tax guide to set up your tax rates.  

If you run into any issues with setting up your tax rates, then it looks like we’ll need to access your account in order to resolve this issue. While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit the Shopify Help Center and log in to your account to create a support request. After logging into your account, you'll be prompted to perform a search on the Shopify Help Center. From there, simply complete a search before clicking on the button to get support under the relevant resources generated by the search. 

Just to confirm, where are you operating from? Also, did you consult with local tax authorities or tax professional on the tax rates?

acarter1
Tourist
3 0 3

It looks like you haven't read my messages, @Elias . 

I already wrote that there is no email, phone or live chat support. When I search for a related topic, I indeed see a few possible answers, and if you scroll to the bottom, I do see a link to contact support directly. When I click this link, I am asked to select a store from the list (there is only 1 store) and after clicking it I am redirected to https://help.shopify.com/en/questions#/questions , so where I started. It looks like I am stuck in a loop and therefore not able to contact support.

Also, I wrote that I am trying to find out how to set a different VAT rate in Shopify. Ideally, I would like to set the default VAT rate to 9%. I don't know how to do this. So, I searched and then found this thread.

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hey, @acarter1.

Thank you for following up and bringing this to our attention!

If you find that you're stuck in a loop when trying to contact our Support team, then it's likely that the a search wasn't performed on the Shopify Help Center. As previously mentioned, you'll need to complete a search before clicking the button (located below the relevant resources) for support. That being said, I've found a thread with visuals that can help with accessing our available contact options, please take a look here: How To Talk to Someone?.

If you've checked the local regulations and you're ready to create tax overrides, then please follow our step-by-step guide right over here: Override taxes. In short, you'll want to create a manual collection containing all of the products that will be charged with 9% VAT and then simply use this collection when creating the tax override in your Taxes settings. 

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions!

john_T6M
Shopify Partner
1 0 2

It's very frustrating that Shopify changed the Override for automated collections away as an option. When you have 15K products you are a B2B website and you have hundreds of 0% Tax products. You're integrated with SAP and just want to tag a product via SAP so it'll go into a collection that has a tax Override of 0.  It can't be done manually.  This update needs reversing. 

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hey, @john_T6M.

Thank you for joining the thread and sharing this feedback.

I understand that you have 15,000 products and you're integrated with SAP, as a result you need to be able to use automatic collections for tax overrides. While the change to the tax override behaviour was meant to prevent any unexpected surprises with tax settings, I can see that this is a very important feature for you and I'd be happy to share this with our development team for future considerations. If Shopify moves forward with any changes or updates to the tax overrides, then we'll be sure to announce them on the Shopify Changelog.

That being said, if you're using product CSV for importing products, then one option is to add a Collection column to the product CSV. This way, you can create manual collections containing 15,000 products more efficiently and create the tax overrides. If applicable, you can also consider setting up tax-exempt customer accounts for your B2B clients and they can be exempt from taxes regardless of collections.  

Since your store is a B2B business, then I'd love to hear more about your business. What kinds of products are you selling? Does disabling taxes or setting up tax-exemption for customer accounts serve as a solution for your store?

cfc_webmaster
Explorer
47 0 104

I need to chime in here on how poorly thought out this was. It is absolutely absurd. We too have the problem described here. We have a PHYSICAL location which is our NEXUS and ALL tax rates should be based on this 1 location. Yet, the Shopify system continually adds on "taxes" for the customer's location when this does not apply to us.

1. Not allowing us to create an automated collection for the tax override? Absurd
  2. Not allowing the PRODUCT collection field to be EDITED in the Bulk Editor? Absurd
  3. Making it so the collection selector only allows manual collections? Absurd
  4. Setting up manual collections to NOT show draft or archived products? Absurd
  5. Not considering external CRM  systems need to tax sync? Absurd
  6. Not considering external INVENTIRY systems need to tax sync? Absurd
  7. Not creating "override all taxes as physical nexus"? Absurd
  8. Making us manually create collections and add products 1 at a time? Absurd
  9. Telling us to use the CSV import system for thousands of products? Absurd
  10. Gaslighting us in this chain acting like there is a workable solution? Absurd

TEN points of total abject failure on this.

I want to express how unbelievable it is what I am reading here and how poorly thought out this was. The only thing Shopify needed to do here is add 1 checkbox

Just ONE CHECKBOX that says "override all taxes" let us punch in the tax rate WE ARE REQUIRED BY LAW TO CHARGE

That's it.

That is all Shopify has to do here. One Checkbox and a text field. Done.

That was the #1 most important thing to do here. Literally the FIRST step in the development process on this sprint or task would have been "add an override" into the settings.

On top of all this? 

We IMPORT all of our sales into an external CRM and INVENTORY system that connects with QuickBooks. That system is now out of sync with taxes because SHOPIFY collects an EXTRA X% on every order for local customer home address that does NOT apply to us, then those totals do not sync up properly with our external system.

cfc_webmaster
Explorer
47 0 104

I am placing this link here for continuity and seo reasons to help people find critically important information before embarking on a Shopify onboarding:

"collection does not appear in product overrides under tax settings"

"A Warning: NO TAX OVERRIDE If You Have A Physical Nexus - TAX Settings In Shopify Are A Problem"

https://community.shopify.com/c/shopify-discussions/a-warning-no-tax-override-if-you-have-a-physical... 

Finlandia
Visitor
1 0 0

I would also like to add to this to have the change reverted.

It's very frustrating that automated Collections cannot be chosen under Tax Overrides.

Our retail store mainly sells supplements and has over 10,000 products. Supplements here in BC, Canada are only charged 1 tax GST (instead of 2 taxes GST + PST), meaning we'll need to have tax override for these products.

Your solution for adding a column "Collection" in the product import works for the initial product import, however as we have new products added weekly, it's an extra step for our staff to have to manually add every single new product into the Tax Override Collection.

I sincerely hope the development team can revert this change, if necessary, add an "Advanced" option in the "Settings" to enable this option.

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Greetings, @Finlandia.

Thanks so much for joining the thread and sharing this feedback.

I understand that your store sells supplements and they require a tax override as your products are only charged one tax in Canada. I also understand that your store gets new products weekly, which makes importing products via CSV and creating a column for collection a much more tedious task for your staff. While I'd be happy to add you and include the details you've shared to this feature request, I wanted to let you know that you can also use the CSV import option for new products without having to overwrite existing products. This way, you can add new products using smaller CSV files (with the collection column) and the import will not take as long as well. Nevertheless, if Shopify moves forward with any changes to the tax override functionality, then we'll be sure to announce them on the Shopify Changelog.

If you have any other questions on this topic, please don't hesitate to let me know!

SRA2
Visitor
1 0 0

It's quite shocking that such basic functionality is not available. I understand that it can be a dangerous feature if not used correctly, but at least allow the user to make that decision. Considering that this issue has existed for over 3 years now I can only conclude that Shopify is not a viable solution for users with large collections or users relying on automation. There is no point to having 'smart' collections if it comes with caveats that reduce its usability like this.

leesidedigital
Shopify Partner
2 0 1

Hi there,

New Shopify Plus store here with 45,000 products and very very disappointed if there is now way to automate the VAT override function. To clarify the need for this, in France there is a Reduced VAT rate for books and we sell mostly book - Any useful advice on how to get this working?

Bear in mind that we are constantly adding products (through SAP) and were relying on this straightforward function when moving from Magento to Shopify Plus!

djexus
Visitor
2 0 0

I found that if you make a collection with an automatic collection type, they will not appear in the product overrides, to set custom tax rates for those collections of products.

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hey, @djexus.

Thank you for joining the thread!

There was a change in tax override behaviour, which explains why automatic collections are no longer supported. However, if you need help with setting up tax overrides or manual collections, then we've got a step-by-step guide on that here: Tax overrides and exemptions.

That being said, I noticed that you're a new member of our Shopify Community and I'd love to hear more about your business. What types of products are you selling? Do you have a marketing plan prepared for your store?