Solved

Checkouts are not available for this store.

adminEWE
Tourist
6 0 7

Our Shopify development store encountered such weird issue 2 days ago. Just can't finish the checkout process. Could anyone help with this?

adminEWE_0-1625101501466.png

Accepted Solution (1)

Shay
Shopify Staff
2780 440 566

This is an accepted solution.

Hi everyone!

Thank you all for your feedback on this topic. It’s not going unheard and our Development team is aware of this thread and the feedback you have made regarding this change. 

Our developers have not turned away from this topic and continue to assess the best way to provide development store functionality along with the ability to create orders. 

Important

If an order is processed using a draft order or a live payment gateway in a development store then the ability to process any orders will be locked. This includes restricting orders through any of the supported options provided. 

If this has happened to your store, please contact Partner Support for a review of the account.

Once unlocked, processing an order in a method not shared on our Testing orders in development stores page will lock the checkout once more.

Options for order creation and testing:

If you require access to additional live orders to test an app or other custom function you will need to contact Partner Support for a review. Please be ready to answer questions such as:

• Why do the provided solutions not work for you?
  • What and how are you trying to test?
  • Is this store intended to be handed off to a client or for strictly testing purposes only?

Note: If you need to process live orders, outside of testing, then the store must be moved to a paid plan. Development stores are not intended to process live orders, which is why the order functionality is limited. 

Reminders

• You can't test orders using real transactions in a development store.
  • You can't test using draft orders you create in your Shopify admin in a development store. 
  • If your checkout is locked, contact Partner Support to have the store reviewed. 
  • Review Testing orders in development stores for further information. 
  • Review Development store types to ensure you’re using the correct Development Store for your testing needs

We will continue to share new feedback posted here with our Development team. Thank you again for your feedback.

This post will be marked as the solution to ensure other partners and merchants who are working in development stores can easily find the most up to date information about this topic. 

Shay | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 69 (69)

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1695 146 302

Hey, @adminEWE!

Welcome to Shopify Community. My name is Olivia and I work here.

To make sure we get you the support you need, can you please clarify the following details for me:

Once we have that information from you, we can better guide with next steps.

I look forward to your reply,

Olivia | Social Care @ Shopify 

adminEWE
Tourist
6 0 7

Hi Olovia,

• Is this a development store on a currently active Shopify Partner account? ==========Yes.
  • Are you using Shopify's Bogus Gateway or test mode for an active gateway? ========== Tried both Bogus Gateway & test mode to no avail.
Olivia
Shopify Staff
1695 146 302

Thank you for clarifying that, @adminEWE.

Now that we have clarified that, are you specifically following the steps outlined in this help doc on testing orders in development stores?

If so, can you please describe your workflow and use case to us to ensure test transactions are being done as outlined?

I look forward to your reply,

APIANT
Shopify Partner
31 2 40

Hi @Olivia 

We just started experiencing the same issue as well.

We do have (for testing) Bogus Gateway activated:

APIANT_0-1625319980159.jpeg

We have a Development partner plan:

APIANT_1-1625320054116.jpeg

But when we try to enter these bogus credit card info:

APIANT_2-1625320112395.jpeg

Just clicking "Pay by credit card" skips the credit card entry gives us the error:

To save this draft order, 1 change needs to be made:

• Checkouts are not available for this store.

As you can see here:

APIANT_3-1625320279433.gif

APIANT
Shopify Partner
31 2 40

Could we have an update on this issue please @Olivia ?

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1695 146 302

Thank you to everyone replying on our thread.

I have been in touch with our Technical team and Partner Support team regarding this matter, and it appears that the issues in this thread are stemming from draft order test transactions. To test orders as intended, please complete checkout from the online store checkout using one of the test modes described in our doc.

APIANT
Shopify Partner
31 2 40

@Olivia Can you remove the "Accepted solution" from this issue because your instructions to "To test orders as intended, please complete checkout from the online store checkout using test mode as described earlier." and "To clarify, this is expected behaviour when testing orders with drafts and not a bug. I trust this will provide further insight." is incorrect. This is what all the developers on this thread are trying to express.

I recorded a video to review the issue. Essentially the instructions provided on this page do not work after the 50th order.

From the page:

By placing a test order, you can make sure that your development store's checkout process and settings for order processing, inventory, shipping, email notifications, and taxes are all correct. Development stores can process unlimited test orders.

There are two ways to test orders in a development store:

After the 50th order the only workaround is to create a brand new test store which is very inconvenient for all developers.

pklitscher
Shopify Partner
10 0 22

PLEASE FIX THIS ISSUE!!!!!

After talking to support multiple times they have confirmed that once a store reaches 50 orders it is locked. They can increase this limit, marginally. But there is a hard limit at which our store will become useless. 

It is all good and well to export products and customers and create new stores but we then need to reconfigure a new store every 50 orders. Then some of our apps are integrations which rely on product/variant ids and inventory levels. If we hit 50 order mid development creating a new store means starting again as ids aren't going to match anymore. 

I appreciate there must be a strong business reason for Shopify to limit orders in development stores but there has to be a better way to achieve your outcome that does not screw your developer community. 

@Olivia as a community manager can you please advocate for us? If you are going to call us partners please listen to our feedback and work with us and not just shun us. 

APIANT
Shopify Partner
31 2 40

In short, if the Shopify's Bogus Gateway is used, the 50 orders max per test account limit should be removed.

Shay
Shopify Staff
2780 440 566

Hello everyone! 

I've gone through your feedback and I reviewed @APIANT 's video, which many of you referred to as a perfect showcase of your issue. Thank you Apiant for the video clip, as it really helped me to understand where the confusion is coming in from. 

The issue you are having with not being able to use the bogus gateway is because you are still trying to create the order using the draft order function in the store admin. As noted in our Help Docs - You can't test using draft orders you create in your Shopify admin. You need to place test orders using the development store's checkout.

27-14-77415-18936

That test order cannot be created using the steps you are currently attempting. All test orders through the bogus gateway MUST go through the online store checkout and not as a draft order. 

Please continue to provide your feedback to this thread and we will review your messages. Our support will provide a like to following messages so that you know we have received it and added it to our feedback for our development team. Please know, that this change was not made idly nor was it done to make your work more difficult. Due to an unprecedented surge of abuse in development stores, this change had to be implemented this way. If you are having any issues setting this up in your development store please contact our partner support through the Support tab in your partner dash for additional help. 

arsuceno
Shopify Partner
21 0 14

So @Shay , what is the point of having a button that we cannot use? You should consider blocking or hiding the button when the shop is in development mode, even if what we really want is the option to use it with a limit.

jstaab
Shopify Partner
20 1 11

@Shay I think all that is well understood. There remain two problems with testing orders via the online store:

• The bogus gateway has a cap on the number of sales that can be processed. This is not conducive to long-term maintenance of an app. Raising it via support request is not a solution, it's a workaround.
  • Draft orders can't be tested. Not only are draft orders a much more convenient way to test orders (resulting is lower development costs for app developers), there is functionality unique to draft orders.

While the original issue has technically been solved, the bogus gateway/online store workflow remains severely broken. To bring this home to Shopify's bottom line, if new developers can't figure out how to test an order, cadence of new development on Shopify's platform is going to decline. Likewise, the more dev-hostile design decisions that are made, the more likely existing developers are going to be to partner with another eCommerce platform.

Shay
Shopify Staff
2780 440 566

Thank you for your follow up questions @jstaab!

The bogus gateway does not have a cap on it for the amount of test orders it can process. If you are seeing an error that the checkout is disabled while attempting to process a test order through the bogus gateway, this means that an attempt to make a live order was made and the checkout was automatically disabled. This can be re-enabled by our Partner support team under their discretion. 

I can also absolutely recognize the importance of being able to test out draft orders. If you are integrating an app or developing an API that needs access to that (@arsuceno), our Partner Support can also review the request and add on a limited number of transactions that can be tested through that method. Is this ideal for developers like yourself? No it isn't and we know that. Hopefully our developers can come to a better middle ground between limiting abuse of our development stores and allowing our developers access to a full testing environment without having to ask our support to unlock those features for them. In the interim I do suggest connecting with our partner support team and open a dialogue with them about the needs for your development store. With legitimate business use cases considerations can be made.

Please continue to provide your feedback, the more feedback we receive on things like this the better chance we have at making a change! I want you to know that my replies here are not meant to mitigate the importance of your concerns, but to ensure you have workable solutions you can use for now. 

APIANT
Shopify Partner
31 2 40

Hi @Shay,

This is our third development store, and our experience is that the checkout function is disabled at the same time the 50 order limit is reached.

I can guarantee no real orders were ever attempted to be placed on these development stores.

Here's what you wrote:

Solved Re Checkouts are not available for this store. - Page 5 - Shopify Community 2021-10-27 at 2.47.36 PM.jpg

My recommendation to the Shopify dev support team would be to test the process as an external developer before tagging an issue as solved, especially when so many developers are experiencing the issue.

For the rest of the devs out there, our workaround has been to create orders via API for testing as those are not limited. I understand that if you never planned on using these endpoints (create order) it's a pain to have to develop them just for the sake of testing orders...

APIANT
Shopify Partner
31 2 40

We couldn't create a new development store every time we reached 50 orders. This wasn't really feasible as we often test hundreds of orders a week, so we built this template on our platform Smartsheet ➞ Shopify orders. Handles discounts, taxes, payments, fulfillments.

You can install the template here.

Here's a video on how we built it.

It looks like this:

Smartsheet-Shopify.png

If you need assistance with it, reach out to support@apiant.com

RaymondVdVelden
Visitor
2 0 1

I have a test shop connected to an acceptance environment and this hooks on the location ID of warehouses based on the name. This is required because we need the fullfilment orders before we can process orders.

(another horrible thing, we need

assigned_location_id

in order to figure if if each order made is supposed to be for us).

For us making a new test shop every 50 orders is impossible as the location_id would change, all the shop items would need resync. I need a proper solution. I want to make orders in draft like I always did. 

Liquify
Shopify Expert
95 0 52

Hi @Olivia 

the accepted solution here written by you is absolutely not correct and a monumental pain in the ass - can you revisit this one internally?

6k views in 6 months on this one is a lot of developer time wasted - it reflects really badly on Shopify when staff can't be bothered to find solutions to clear problems. The limits should be lifted completely on dev stores - draft orders and through bogus gateway. It's wasting our time and slowing us down.

I can't test our app today without wasting an hour creating a new dev store and replicating what we need.

★★★ Need help setting up your Shopify store? Hire me here: https://liquify.design ★★
Shay
Shopify Staff
2780 440 566

Hi @Liquify 

Thank you for your feedback on this topic. I know that the change to how test orders are processed through developmental stores has received a lot of feedback from our partners on the platform. 

While I am not able to make any changes to your development store, you absolutely can continue to process test orders through the online store checkout as long as you have the bogus gateway setup. The bogus gateway is a specific gateway that needs to be used. 

With the bogus gateway setup, you can process unlimited test orders through the online test store checkout while still in development. If you are seeing a restriction on that, please reach out to our partner support through your partner dash to have that hold lifted.

Liquify
Shopify Expert
95 0 52

Hi @Shay 

100% - we can't. This is what we are all saying. We have Bogus gateway setup & previously encountered no restrictions. Now checkout blocked.  See here:

https://www.loom.com/share/212b60a2ed7b45cda2c56d1a29c46c91

I'll contact partners and get it lifted if that's what's needed and do this on a store by store basis.

Point is still valid that this post has a lot of views, a lot of developers getting frustrated with the same problem and an answer that is factually incorrect from 2 shopify staff.

There should be zero restrictions on orders on dev stores.

Cheers

Joe

★★★ Need help setting up your Shopify store? Hire me here: https://liquify.design ★★
bt95
Shopify Partner
6 0 23

I'll keep it real simple. We are trying to make money, and you make money from our apps. Please restore the draft order functionality for test stores so we can all make money.

You are the number 1 ecomm platform. Make it easy for us to do our jobs again and support your sellers. My company processes tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of orders a day on your system and I can't be the only one here. My QA guys can't even test our code.

pklitscher
Shopify Partner
10 0 22

@Olivia we have started experiencing this in a development store also.

To create:

1. Create new order and add products
  2. Click Mark as Paid

Result: Receive error message saying "Checkouts are not available for this store"

pklitscher_0-1625366143250.png

Have tried 

1. Setting up Shopify Payments and setting to Test

2. Setting up Bogus Gateway. 

Cannot raise orders via admin or shopfront. Super frustrating as we are currently trying to run tests with a new app. 

As of two weeks ago we could raise orders in this store without any issues. No payment changes were made prior to experiencing this issue.

This is valid development store linked to a an active development account. 

adminEWE
Tourist
6 0 7

Hi Olivia,

The checkout is currently not working, so it is useless to follow the steps nor to describe the workflow. This development store was only being used by myself from time to time while I was testing our integration. It suddenly stopped working. I would be appreciated if you could just fix it.

Thanks,

Ed29
Shopify Partner
4 0 24

Same problem here on multiple internal dev stores.

talalbsse
Shopify Partner
9 0 6

Hi @Olivia ,

I am also having the same problem. 

I am working on a development store to create test orders, when I try to create order(s), I get the following error message:

When I try to create an order using the site: (https://test-4453.myshopify.com/)
"Checkouts are not currently enabled: Merchant's trial period expired."

When I try to create an order using admin:
"Checkouts are not available for this store."

Is it some kind of limitation that Shopify recently introduced because we had always been working with that store without any issues.

Also, the store was created using our partner account so we dont think we should have a trial period.

Immediate help will really be appreciated.

Shop id: test-4453

Thanks.

Talal

bt95
Shopify Partner
6 0 23

You have to make a new store. After 50 orders the account is effectively burned. Don't bother with support; they never reached back out after my chat on this issue- because they have no fix.

Shopify is giving devs the middle finger with all of this. Ridiculous as we are bringing in revenue for them.

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6274 573 1319

Best in class developer experience is not a phrase easily associated with Shopify.

There has been a consistent increase in areas of friction in the developer experience for the platform.

It is an absurdity of an idea that everything has to perfectly done in under 50 test orders by new devs, or devshops needing to constantly test integrations who steadily bring value to a platform that goes out of it's way to put in strange hindrances to punish those value creators because of other bad actors in the system. An absurdity.

This type of psychotic end result from internal problems makes developers question shopify's integrity from having an inability to understand or create architecture that can support basic test mocking.

Worst in class developer experience can easily become the only phrase associated with Shopify.

Save time & money ,Ask Questions The Smart Way

Confused? Busy? Get the solution you need paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com

Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org

prashantvadher
Visitor
1 0 2

Hi @Olivia ,

I am facing the same issue with my store.

Please enable checkout for my store.

JoshHighland
Shopify Expert
175 10 65

I'm also coming up against this issue. A simple fix would have a 50 cap on the orders, but deleting some would give you back capacity.

Better solution - lift the cap if the checkouts are from the bogus gateway

Creating burner stores is a hassle to developer

SEO Manager - The FREE all-in-One SEO solution for Shopify
A powerful suite of SEO tools that gets you found in Google results

- Install SEO Manager -
jstaab
Shopify Partner
20 1 11

Just going to pile on here, this has broken the workflow I've used for years to maintain our app. Draft orders was a very convenient way to build our app, since it allowed us to avoid dealing with the online store builder and point of sale stuff, which aren't relevant to what we do. Expect development of new apps to decrease with every developer-hostile change you guys make and fail to address.

geon
Visitor
1 0 2

This is an unnecessary limitation set that is blocking our workflow.
I second this comment where he shared a video that perfectly outlines the problem. 
The accepted solution is not acceptable!

mpearsall
Visitor
1 0 2

Can confirm same issue here, development store, was working a couple of weeks ago.

pklitscher
Shopify Partner
10 0 22

@Olivia I am really sorry to open a new topic but the previous thread is locked and you said don't hesitate to reach back out . 

The solution you have provided here does not work (see below). As mentioned my comment I have tried both Bogus and Shopify Payments in test mode. 

What's more not being able to create draft orders in a development store is a major issue for some of us. Draft orders can be a valid part of app flow and testing.

Can we get some idea of:

1. Will this actually be resolved or is this now a permanent limitation? 
  2. Will other development stores that are still working stop working?

pklitscher_0-1625613551650.png

Ed29
Shopify Partner
4 0 24

I was going to open a new topic as well.

This is were we are at now with Shopify? https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-Discussion/Checkouts-are-not-available-for-this-store/td-p/1.... You provided an answer, that you accepted yourself, and we can't answer anymore after this...

That answer is not ok, a bug was introduced that doesn't let developers create draft orders in order to test our integrations. Please, don't let this bug become a feature. 

I have always been a huge Shopify fan! But a little less recently after a lot of questionnable choices and lack of help given when Shopify obviously had an issue.

KevinJ1978
Tourist
5 0 12

I am also receiving this error when trying to create orders from the admin panel (creates a draft order first) and marking them as paid.  However I have three development stores, and I'm only getting this error on one of them (the oldest one), all settings are identical across all stores, so not sure why this error is occurring.

BileetaSahan
Visitor
1 0 0

We are also getting the same error. have you found any solution? 

ziggazagga
Visitor
1 0 0

We have this problem as well. I am using the draft_orders API but then just want to test what happens if an admin coverts that draft order to an order (marked paid for example) So these standard admin features now do not work in a dev store. That has to be a bug. You cannot have intended to break your own functions.

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1695 146 302

Hi, everyone.

We appreciate all of the feedback mentioned in this thread. As explained in my last reply this is not a bug, rather expected behaviour when completing test orders with dev stores. If you are following our published guidelines on testing orders in development stores, you will not be impacted by this. 

APIANT
Shopify Partner
31 2 40

Hi @Olivia 

You wrote "If you are following our published guidelines on testing orders in development stores, you will not be impacted by this."

If I am not mistaken, most developers here are trying to explain that we are indeed testing orders in development stores using the guidelines mentioned by using Shopify's Bogus Gateway: https://share.apiant.com/rRujAjx6

But that it is not working. The Pay by Credit Card button doesn't allow us to do so and it jumps to the error. Therefore we are not able to use the Bogus Gateway. See the video recording: https://share.apiant.com/mXurQrOw

Yes, we can process orders via API, but is it possible to create orders in the admin using the Bogus Gateway, because we are not able to do so.

Please advise if I am missing anything.

Thanks!

pklitscher
Shopify Partner
10 0 22

@APIANT you are 100% correct and frustrating being treated as developers who can't follow basic instructions. It is indeed a real issue and can be resolved. The answer is you just need to contact partner support. Seriously they just re-enable it

I have posted an answer here.https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-Discussion/SOLUTION-Checkouts-are-not-available-for-this-sto...

At the time this was locked again so couldn't add it to this thread. @Olivia perhaps you can merge it.

APIANT
Shopify Partner
31 2 40

Looks like I lost the ability to mark an answer as a solution...? I hope I didn't upset you @Olivia and you demoted me LOL 🙂

KevinJ1978
Tourist
5 0 12

This issue has now started happening on my second store, however I can still create orders and mark as paid on my third store.  To test the water further, I created a brand new development store, for which I am again able to create orders and mark as paid, therefore this is either a bug, or there is some kind of threshold related restriction on creating orders for development stores.

KevinJ1978
Tourist
5 0 12

Also I forgot to mention in my post above that your workaround does NOT work for me.  Enabling bogus payments and trying to order through the store results in the error below:

Capture.JPG

KevinJ1978
Tourist
5 0 12

I have just had a response from Shopify support which fully explains this situation.  Basically a change has been made recently that limits the number of real orders that can be placed for a development store (orders created in the admin section of the store are classed as real orders once marked as paid), once this threshold is reached, checkouts are disabled across the board, including via the Bogus Gateway and Shopify Payments Test mode, so the workaround stated in this thread won't work.

You need to contact support and ask them to raise this limit, which will enable checkouts again and allow you to use either the Bogus Gateway or Shopify Payments Test mode.  Be warned, they only increase the limit by one, so if you create an order in the admin section of your store, the order limit will be reached and checkouts will be disabled again.

arsuceno
Shopify Partner
21 0 14

We also affected by this change in our app. We cannot tests orders in our development stores, no matter if using drafts with bogus payment or manual method or whatever. This just has stopped working as it usually did. It's quite important for us to be able to do it in order to test our integration app. Hope the change done by Shopify side can be rollbacked or any other solution can be provided for developers.

KevinJ1978
Tourist
5 0 12

@arsuceno if you read the post directly above yours, it explains what you need to do.  You can also create orders via the Admin API which I have found much easier.  However, you are limited to five orders a minute.

Bulxar
Shopify Partner
82 2 22

I don't accpet solution with API.

GUI is more faster than creating private APP's for each future client for only placing order and testing. 

I hope Shopify will revert this change or if they want to decrease checkout throttling provide real test gateway

This will decrease developers amount of loving Shopify.

APIANT
Shopify Partner
31 2 40

I wanted to up everyone on this issue.

The key in @Olivia response is this:

Note: 

Going forward, test transactions cannot be completed using drafts, however, unlimited online store test transactions can still be made.

I was able to make this work by creating a new test store. Choosing the (test) bogus payment method and by completing the orders as a customer from the store (not as an admin).

This is definitely a workable solution.

I hope this helps everyone.

bt95
Shopify Partner
6 0 23

This is frankly ridiculous. My company needs to create test orders often to help maintain an integration with shopify. We used to be able to just create orders in the admin. Not only cannot I not do that now, if I place orders via the store I will reach a limit and not be able to continue testing. Please reconsider this change; any developer that relied on this functionality now has to create orders via an API or create new stores in order to bypass this limit. I can see zero reason why this change needed to be made regarding developers that are not processing real orders and help to bring in revenue for Shopify by creating other applications with integrations.

Ed29
Shopify Partner
4 0 24

That decision doesn't make any sense, we are all stuck having to create new store. In the past, with a dev store, we had 50 orders for "free", then, we only would have to create orders from the admin to not trigger that limit, which made total sense. 

I suspect that everyone is saying (including me) that it is working with a new store now because that 50 orders limit is not reached yet. But problem will probably be the same after those 50 orders.

I really don't get how this new limit is helping anyone, not even Shopify. It is just causing real issues for developers...