Solved

Checkouts are not available for this store.

adminEWE
Tourist
6 0 7

Our Shopify development store encountered such weird issue 2 days ago. Just can't finish the checkout process. Could anyone help with this?

adminEWE_0-1625101501466.png

Accepted Solution (1)

Shay
Shopify Staff
2778 440 566

This is an accepted solution.

Hi everyone!

Thank you all for your feedback on this topic. It’s not going unheard and our Development team is aware of this thread and the feedback you have made regarding this change. 

Our developers have not turned away from this topic and continue to assess the best way to provide development store functionality along with the ability to create orders. 

Important

If an order is processed using a draft order or a live payment gateway in a development store then the ability to process any orders will be locked. This includes restricting orders through any of the supported options provided. 

If this has happened to your store, please contact Partner Support for a review of the account.

Once unlocked, processing an order in a method not shared on our Testing orders in development stores page will lock the checkout once more.

Options for order creation and testing:

If you require access to additional live orders to test an app or other custom function you will need to contact Partner Support for a review. Please be ready to answer questions such as:

• Why do the provided solutions not work for you?
  • What and how are you trying to test?
  • Is this store intended to be handed off to a client or for strictly testing purposes only?

Note: If you need to process live orders, outside of testing, then the store must be moved to a paid plan. Development stores are not intended to process live orders, which is why the order functionality is limited. 

Reminders

• You can't test orders using real transactions in a development store.
  • You can't test using draft orders you create in your Shopify admin in a development store. 
  • If your checkout is locked, contact Partner Support to have the store reviewed. 
  • Review Testing orders in development stores for further information. 
  • Review Development store types to ensure you’re using the correct Development Store for your testing needs

We will continue to share new feedback posted here with our Development team. Thank you again for your feedback.

This post will be marked as the solution to ensure other partners and merchants who are working in development stores can easily find the most up to date information about this topic. 

Shay | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 69 (69)
arsuceno
Shopify Partner
21 0 14

To update my case in this topic: After talking with Shopify support they unlock checkouts in my dev store. So now I can create orders from the online store, as a normal customer, using bogus test gateway payment.

It was easier and I definitely preferred the draft orders from the admin panel approach, but at least this is a workaround we can live with.

zcoder
Tourist
3 0 5

Contacted the partner support and got the checkout enabled again. But worth to mention that per support rep, add testing order from admin console will disable it again.

"I've gone ahead and re-enabled your checkout, but you can only test orders with the bogus gateway on the regular checkout page, otherwise the checkout will become automatically disabled again."

I didn't see good reason that Shopify should set this limit to a development store. It just created so many problems to developers and also lots of support cases to Shopify itself.

bt95
Shopify Partner
6 0 23

Bumping this because my checkouts are disabled and support can't figure out how to re-enable. Please for the love of god allow us to make test orders in the admin again. I cannot do my job.

atlasalpine
Shopify Partner
4 0 17

Can confirm that the checkout gets locked for development store when you hit 50 (as mentioned by @Ed29) orders after which it does not really matter what or how you had configured it. It will remain locked.

Workaround that I applied as it was the fastest way forward for me (guide assumes that your development store is called my-test-store😞

1. open the admin of the my-test-store
  2. export the products of my-test-store (doable from the products list view of products in admin)
  3. export the contacts of my-test-store (doable from the contacts list view of products in admin)
  4. open partners portal
  5. create a completely new store (I just chose the dev store that I used before and suffixed it with N+1, so my previous my-test-store became my-test-store2)
  6. open the admin of the my-test-store
  7. import the previously created exports for: products, contacts (functionality reachable at the same place where you performed the exports)
  8. archive the previous store (optional, but allows you to keep things nice and tidy, the store is dead anyways).
  9. keep on developing

I am not sure why the official support keeps on dancing around this without mentioning this particular hard limit. They probably have their reasons.

Notes / Rant

Initially - naively - I thought that I could re-enable the checkout by just deleting all the orders that I had created for the other (my-test-store) but unfortunately that did not solve my issue. That would otherwise be the way that I would suggest Shopify team to implement the limit (if they are really dead-set having it in place): have it dynamically assess the number of orders the user has created and leave it up to them to perform the cleanup. 

One thing that I have not yet tested: could one avoid the checkout locking if they actively keep order count under 50 by deleting them after whatever integration has been tested with them.

sameerkumar
Shopify Partner
7 0 1

This issue still exists in 2022.

Going to try and reach out to Partner support for any block lifting 😞

Shay
Shopify Staff
2778 440 566

This is an accepted solution.

Hi everyone!

Thank you all for your feedback on this topic. It’s not going unheard and our Development team is aware of this thread and the feedback you have made regarding this change. 

Our developers have not turned away from this topic and continue to assess the best way to provide development store functionality along with the ability to create orders. 

Important

If an order is processed using a draft order or a live payment gateway in a development store then the ability to process any orders will be locked. This includes restricting orders through any of the supported options provided. 

If this has happened to your store, please contact Partner Support for a review of the account.

Once unlocked, processing an order in a method not shared on our Testing orders in development stores page will lock the checkout once more.

Options for order creation and testing:

If you require access to additional live orders to test an app or other custom function you will need to contact Partner Support for a review. Please be ready to answer questions such as:

• Why do the provided solutions not work for you?
  • What and how are you trying to test?
  • Is this store intended to be handed off to a client or for strictly testing purposes only?

Note: If you need to process live orders, outside of testing, then the store must be moved to a paid plan. Development stores are not intended to process live orders, which is why the order functionality is limited. 

Reminders

• You can't test orders using real transactions in a development store.
  • You can't test using draft orders you create in your Shopify admin in a development store. 
  • If your checkout is locked, contact Partner Support to have the store reviewed. 
  • Review Testing orders in development stores for further information. 
  • Review Development store types to ensure you’re using the correct Development Store for your testing needs

We will continue to share new feedback posted here with our Development team. Thank you again for your feedback.

This post will be marked as the solution to ensure other partners and merchants who are working in development stores can easily find the most up to date information about this topic. 

Ed29
Shopify Partner
4 0 24

Hi Shay,

Thank you for taking the time to answer but I am not sure how this is giving us any new information or making us believe that "It’s not going unheard and our Development team is aware of this thread and the feedback you have made regarding this change. Our developers have not turned away from this topic and continue to assess the best way to provide development store functionality along with the ability to create orders.".

We still don't have an easy solution to create to orders.

Macaque
Visitor
1 0 5

This really isn't a solution and shouldn't be marked as such.

Development stores are supposed to emulate the functionality of managed/live stores. This restriction makes development stores distinctly different from managed stores and prevents developers from creating integrations that follow merchant workflows that utilise draft orders. The restriction seemingly flies in the face of Shopify being an open platform where developers can create third party integrations.

The real and only solution to this issue is to rebuild the development store every time you reach the draft order hard limit set by Shopify.

ferasWB
Shopify Partner
6 0 0

thanks for your reply and the info!

But this is still very problematic and unhelpful for developers!

We use some dev stores for working on webhooks and having to go through the whole checkout process, or even worse through an API call, each time we want to test an order is just tedious and produces more overhead.

Secondly, once a shop's checkout is disabled, all payment methods are disabled (including Bogus Gateway), why is that?!

in other words, the test shop is now completely useless...

Also, the admin panel doesn't show any warning about this. Which is very unhelpful for new Shopify devs!!   

stefanosx
Visitor
2 0 0

I got the same error when I was able to create an order normally through the admin UI, and suddenly I started getting this error. Looks like Shopify has a limit of how many orders you can create for a development store, in my case was 50 and if you exceed this limit the checkouts are blocked and you have to contact their support.

if found this answer here: https://community.shopify.com/c/shopify-apps/checkout-system-disabled-merchant-s-trial-period-expire...

Shay
Shopify Staff
2778 440 566

Hi @stefanosx 

I wanted to clarify that the thread you were referring to is a few years old and the processes for a development store have changed since then. 

Shopify no longer provides the ability to have 50 live test orders through a development store. You can review the help center documents I linked in my earlier post to read more about the processes for a development store currently. If you are developing an app or another feature that requires live orders to test please reach out to partner support for a review of the account. 

stefanosx
Visitor
2 0 0

@Shay 

Thank you for your reply!

I tried things mentioned in the previous post, but nothing worked. I also contact support but they couldn't provide a solution at the moment.
I end up creating a new development shop and I was able to create orders and test the things I wanted to test.

PRC1
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Hi We have encountered this today...

I read somewhere that I need to rebuild the test shop as it is limited to 50 trasactions.... Is that so?
I am asking beacuse we have built diffrent integrations etc...

Thanks

atlasalpine
Shopify Partner
4 0 17

Indeed. There's a silent 50-order limit for development stores. I'm not sure what you mean under transactions (the transaction entities?) where I'm quite sure you can have more of those 🙂 It's just the order entities that are limited.

You'll just have to bite the bullet and create a new store (with some extra effort you can probably carry over the products/customers).

The error they give in this case i cryptic for a reason I'd take to fight some kind of abuse that has not been publicly disclosed.

CC: @PRC1 

Shay
Shopify Staff
2778 440 566

Edited::::

Updating with the most recent changes to this: The option to process draft orders in development stores is accessible (up to 50 per development store) BUT using draft orders to test or simulate transactions while using the manual payment option or manually enter payment details is still considered processing a live order. This means using the draft order feature to test transactions in your development store still goes against the Shopify Partner Terms of Service. Please continue to use the options noted in our Help Center and in this thread to process test transactions.

Hi @atlasalpine and @PRC1 

I just wanted to clarify that previously there was a 50 live order/transaction limit available for development stores but that no longer is the case. 

All transactions and orders made on a development store must go through the actual checkout using a test or bogus gateway. The option for draft order creations in a development store is not available at all.

I am still sharing feedback on this topic with our developers, so please don't hesitate to share how this change may impact your app development. 

bashunaimiroy1
Shopify Partner
9 1 5

Hi @Shay . Thanks for being in this thread. Just checking in to respond to two things you said:

I just wanted to clarify that previously there was a 50 live order/transaction limit available for development stores but that no longer is the case...

...The option for draft order creations in a development store is not available at all.

This is confusing me, because the option for Draft Order creation in a development store is definitely available - I can see it. In my Development Store, there's a button marked "Create Draft Order" which creates a Draft Order. I know, because I've been using it for the past 10 months. However, it has just stopped working, after letting me make 50 orders in total.

Also, here is a store I just created to check. There's the button

bashunaimiroy1_0-1660880451180.png

Here is the draft order I just created using that button:

bashunaimiroy1_1-1660880510889.png

I could try to make 51, but I feel pretty certain that the same thing would happen again- I'd be stopped at the 50 order limit.

Maybe it's possible you've received inaccurate information from the developers? It would be good to at least clarify that in this thread. Thanks.

Apart from that, I'd still like to add my voice to say: This state of affairs presents a huge barrier and delay in the Shopify app development process. We need to be able to create orders quickly and with existing tools, meaning not through an API and not through the store checkout page. I don't mind if they're not "live" orders, just as long as there's a quick way to create them via the Shopify Admin. (In my case at least they don't even need to be draft orders- just regular orders)

Thanks for understanding and passing this on.

Shay
Shopify Staff
2778 440 566

Hi @bashunaimiroy1 

Thank you very much for the screenshots, additional information and feedback. I want you to know that I really appreciate all of it!

Based on the information you shared I did check in with our partner team for clarification in case I missed any updates on the state of the draft orders within development stores. I will add that clarification here, and update my earlier posts to include this as well. I'm committed to sharing this feedback from our partners as well as updating this thread with any information that becomes available to me.

The option to process draft orders in development stores is accessible (up to 50 per development store) BUT using draft orders to test or simulate transactions while using the manual payment option or manually enter payment details is still considered processing a live order. This means using the draft order feature to test transactions in your development store still goes against the Shopify Partner Terms of Service. Please continue to use the options noted in our Help Center and in this thread to process test transactions.

While the option to remove access to draft orders in development stores was reconsidered and is once again an accessible button that does not mean that it is acceptable to use to test orders with. 

Please feel free to continue to share your feedback around this and don't hesitate to reach out to partner support from within your partner dash if you have additional questions!

IvSegal
Shopify Partner
15 0 7

@Shay 
|using draft orders to test or simulate transactions while using the manual payment option or |manually enter payment details is still considered processing a live order. 

Apologies, but I could not find this anywhere in the ToS. I am confused as to why any simulated transactions would be considered live. Can somebody explain?

Shay
Shopify Staff
2778 440 566

Hi @IvSegal 

You can find this information in our Help Center here: Testing orders in development stores · Shopify Help Center

Don't hesitate to reach out to partner support through your partner dash if you have additional questions. 

LeeOGrady
Shopify Partner
7 0 11

A better solution for detecting misuse of stores should be found. It's a lame attempt, that mainly frustrates developers. 
Creating through API means that things could be unexpectedly coded/missed causing errors when later introduced to production.
Using the checkout is tedious with too much click and type interaction. 
A workflow with draft orders is much faster for development. The only downside is Pickup orders cant be tested with this method. 

I try hard to get on with Shopify but every corners theres something to bite you.