Customer cannot reapply same discount code after first order cancellation

Solved
KvChow
2 0 0

Good morning, our store is currently running promotion and has created a discount code which is limited to one use per customer. My customer has applied the discount code, and done successfully checkout. Unfortunately, the order has been cancelled due to insufficient credit after an hour later. When my customer reapply the same code in a new order in checkout screen, it prompts a message and told the discount code has already been used.  May I know why system did not release 'used' status from customer's canceled order? Please advise is there's anything I can do, except untick 'limit to one use per customer' from discount code settings? Thanks in advanced.

0 Likes
Hilary
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
276 49 53

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @KvChow

If the box "Limit to one per customer" is checked when you create your discount code, this will track a customer's email address or phone number to limit discount to one use per customer. I can confirm that the discount does not become available again to this customer if their order is cancelled or returned. I do understand why it may be convenient to have this automatically become available for the future, and will pass this feedback on to our developers on your behalf. 

That being said, your best option for a workaround in these situations will be to create a one time use discount code for this specific customer. To do this, when you create the discount code I recommend: 

1. Under Customer Eligibility, select Specific Customers then click Browse and add the customer that the discount is intended for. 
  2. Under Usage Limits, select Limit number of times this discount can be used in total, and enter 1.
  3. Under Active Dates, set an End date if the promotion is time restricted. 

This will ensure that the discount created can be used only once and by this customer only. You will then need to share the discount code you have created with the customer directly. Alternatively, you could not check the "limit to one per customer" box when you create the original discount code, but this may not be the best solution if you prefer to limit customers' usage. 

Let me know how this goes! 

Hilary | Community Moderator @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
KvChow
2 0 0

@Hilary Thanks for your prompt responses, and suggestion. Yes, hope there is such feature to cater such scenario in future. 

0 Likes