What can be done if the official Shopify store owner leaves the company?

Jakob-Gronndug
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi,

We can`t deactivate this store as the "official" store owner is no longer in our company. The ones that actually runs the company only have limited access. We both get customers that pay for a product we no longer provide, and billing from Shopify for an account we dont use. 

We have tried to get the listed "owner" to deactivate the account, but he can`t be bothered. What do we do??

Replies 3 (3)

MrGrif
Shopify Partner
22 2 4

Sounds like a job for Shopify Support.

The owner (of the business) may need to prove ownership of the company, photo ID, tax certificate, address matching etc. I would have these ready. 

Contact support here via their chat ( I find their live chat best ) : Contact Shopify support

Alternatively, I am thinking there may be another way if the account was set up under the business domain so for example : john@thebusinessname.com 

If you have access to this domain registrar and hosting account, you could force change the password of the email and then access it, after all, the contents are company property. 

Then you can request a change of password on Shopify store, login and deactivate the account .

I've had to do this for some businesses in the past, its no easy task when someone leaves with little or no information left behind, and to be honest, its pretty poor practice. Always keep a top tier administrator account for these kinds of situations and never let someone set something up under their own personal emails for a business.

Hope this helps.

KG 

MrGrif

AvadaCommerce
Shopify Partner
3879 839 951

Hi @Jakob-Gronndug 

With this type of issue, the best bet is to get in touch with the Support team directly and ask for some help.

You could refer to this link, and you'll be presented with options to contact their Support via chat or email
I hope this helps.

banned

Andrew
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1746 173 316

Hi @Jakob-Gronndug

Apologies for the delay!

I empathize with the difficulty of reorganizing a business once someone leaves the company. As @JonaDeGuzman, @AvadaCommerce, and @MrGrif have all correctly pointed out, if you were to reach out to our support we may be able to verify you in order to help with the ownership transfer so that you can close the store.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.