Draft Orders - No codes allowed?

Solved
choochoo75
Tourist
9 1 0

Hello, asking a question about draft orders. We frequently take orders from customers over the phone due to the demographics of our customer base. My customer service team is telling me that when creating a draft order for the customer, there isn't a space to enter a promo code, a loyalty points code, or a gift card code. It does pull over our shipping rates though. So what's going on, and how can we accept codes and digital gift cards on draft orders?

0 Likes
Nick_Marketing
Shopify Partner
609 146 180

Discount codes can't be applied at checkout for orders created as draft order invoices.
If you want to apply a discount to the current order, then you can choose to discount the entire order or just individual items within it (amount or percent). Both item and order discounts are applied to the total price of the order.
https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/orders/create-orders#set-item-or-order-discounts

- I am an eCommerce and Marketing Technology consultant based in Toronto, CANADA.
- To inquire about consulting work availability, please send me a Private Message.
- For Shopify Tutorials, Subscribe to my YouTube Channel.
0 Likes
choochoo75
Tourist
9 1 0

duplicate post, sorry

0 Likes
choochoo75
Tourist
9 1 0

What about gift cards? They go in the same place as a discount code. Do we void the gift card and deduct that from the total of the order? If so, how do we partially void a gift card or draw down its balance when, for example, a customer uses a $100 digital gift card to buy a $20 item?

0 Likes
Nick_Marketing
Shopify Partner
609 146 180

This is an accepted solution.

Can't use gift cards in the draft orders. However, in the other post, a Shopify staff has provided a workaround.

At the moment it is not possible to use a gift card as a payment method when creating orders manually through the admin. The only workaround that I can think of as an alternative, is when creating an order in drafts and marking it as paid, include a note in the order that this was "paid" with a gift card, and then you can always disable the gift card in the admin if the funds are fully used. You also have the option of creating the order the same way a customer would through the checkout, including their information and using the gift card normally through the checkout but this would just send them an order confirmation instead of an invoice.

https://community.shopify.com/c/Payments-Shipping-Fulfillment/Gift-Card-Code-in-Draft-Order-Backend-...

- I am an eCommerce and Marketing Technology consultant based in Toronto, CANADA.
- To inquire about consulting work availability, please send me a Private Message.
- For Shopify Tutorials, Subscribe to my YouTube Channel.
0 Likes

Hi @choochoo75  ,

The default checkout generated from the "send invoice" button of a draft order does not allow customer to input discount code, but there's a workaround which we can create a separate checkout from the draft order, which have a discount box that lets the customer to input the discount code as usual.

Unfortunately this requires some coding to achieve, I have then made an app that allows you to create a separate checkout from the draft order, and you can set a discount code on the checkout, or let customer to input it on the checkout. 

You can then send the link of this checkout to your customer.

You can install the app (Draft Order Helper) here : https://apps.shopify.com/draft-helper , there's a free plan which you can try it out.

After installing the app, go to your draft order, click "More actions" on top right > "Generate discountable checkout link"
Create checkout from draft order, which have discount code input boxCreate checkout from draft order, which have discount code input box

Hope this can help!

Regards,

Axel

Spent too much support time dealing with order cancellation request from customer? Wouldn't it be good if customer can cancel order on their own without bugging your support? Try out Cancellable app! https://apps.shopify.com/cancellable . I also write articles about store customization that can improve your customer shopping experience here : Yagi Software Blog
0 Likes