Error Importing Products - Option Value Provided for Unknown Options

Jaime23
9 0 0

I am trying to upload a large inventory into a new Shopify store. I keep getting the "option value provided for unknown options" error and do not know how to fix it. 

I am using the options "Size, Color, and Region" for each bottle of wine. I really do not want to have to go in and input this information manually for all 650 products. Does anybody know what I am doing wrong? 

I have attached my excel sheet for reference. 

Thank you in advance!

Jaime

Replies 5 (5)

Skye
Shopify Staff
1119 99 199

Hi, @Jaime23.

Thanks for posting to the forum. CSV's can definitely be tricky!!

While I can't download your file due to device security, I can still explain why you are getting that error. 

When you receive the error "option value provided for unknown options" it means that you have provided options for a variant that doesn't exist in your spreadsheet. You must ensure for every Option Name there is also an Option Value. For example, Option 1 Name and Option 1 Value must always be filled out. However, Option 2 Name and Option 2 Value and Option 3 Name and Option 3 Value are optional. The important thing to rememeber, however, is if a name is filled out, the value must also be filled out, and vice versa. I hope that makes sense!

Once you have this resolved, please let me know and kindly provide your domain name. I would love to take a look and see what additional support I can provide. As you're selling wine, I would love to learn more about your marketing strategy as well!

Skye | Social Care @ Shopify
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog
Jaime23
9 0 0

Hi Skye, 

Thank you for replying! That kind of clears it up however I am still not sure what is wrong with my CSV. For example, every wine has Option1 Name as "Size" and then Option1 Value as "750ml, 1.5L, etc.) 

I'm sure that I am setting it up incorrectly somehow but can't dial it in. I've attached my CSV file to this message. Hopefully you can open it and see what is wrong.

Thanks again!

Jaime

jaxter
Shopify Partner
27 1 9

Hi Jaime23,

The 'Handle' column in your csv appears to be empty.  I think that is a key field for the importing.

I hope this helps.  When you export to csv it should include the 'Handle' values.

Regards,

Jaxter

cfx
Shopify Partner
31 2 13

@Jaime23 as @jaxter noted (but I didn't double check your CSV file) not having a handle value could be problematic. I had a 300+ CSV and removed the handles, hoping Shopify would automatically make them. Several imports failed with the same error you saw, and some even appeared to work but after completion I found that no products were in the inventory. As soon as I re-added the handles then everything imported as expected without any errors.

TheSnowguru
Shopify Partner
1 0 1

I have few issues I am getting this all the time.

TheSnowguru_0-1684217931151.png

I think it's due to not having the variants in older products historically, it can't be created from scrach? more over, I find this yourdomain.com/admin/settings/custom_data/product/metafields

where you can preset some definitions, but still wasn't able to post the variants properly.

any ideas what's the best way to do this? thx