Solved

Why am I getting an error when uploading a .glb file?

LeaARdrobe
Visitor
1 0 3

Hi, 

I am having problems loading a new version of a .glb file. 

The previous files were working properly, but I get the error here below

"Media upload failed

Some of your media failed to upload, please retry again.
  • 3D model: Failed to convert model to USDZ format"

There is no retry again as the same problem has been following me for the past 5 days, so I am giving up and reaching out. Anyone has solved it successfully?

Thank you!

Accepted Solution (1)
JonW
Shopify Staff (Retired)
7 2 0

This is an accepted solution.

Hi everyone,

I'm a product manager on 3D here at Shopify. peng_yu is correct, 99% of the time this process fails it is because the .glb files are using a compression called Draco on their geometry.

The issue is that the usdz file format, the file iPhones and iPads use for AR, does not support this compression and we want to ensure all your customers get to experience your models in AR.

We do have a solution to this problem on our roadmap, and in the future will accept files with draco compression and still be able to produce files for iOS users, but I cannot provide a concrete timeline at the moment. In the interim, the solution is to save your .glb without the draco compression and re-upload it. 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 9 (9)

snouty
Visitor
1 0 2

Yes, I'm having the same issue! Did you find anything useful somewhere else? Thanks.

christurner48
Visitor
1 0 1

I am having the same issue (see below), Shopify support keep telling me it my theme but I have other GLB files loaded into the store without any issues. I think the GLB to USDZ converter on the Shopify server is broken. Had anyone else made progress with this?

Some of your media failed to upload, please retry again.
3D model: Failed to convert model to USDZ format

NewBee
Tourist
6 0 0

I am having the same problem Shopify 

peng_yu
Shopify Staff
1 0 0

after try a few .glb files, i think it's due to the Draco compression. 

JonW
Shopify Staff (Retired)
7 2 0

This is an accepted solution.

Hi everyone,

I'm a product manager on 3D here at Shopify. peng_yu is correct, 99% of the time this process fails it is because the .glb files are using a compression called Draco on their geometry.

The issue is that the usdz file format, the file iPhones and iPads use for AR, does not support this compression and we want to ensure all your customers get to experience your models in AR.

We do have a solution to this problem on our roadmap, and in the future will accept files with draco compression and still be able to produce files for iOS users, but I cannot provide a concrete timeline at the moment. In the interim, the solution is to save your .glb without the draco compression and re-upload it. 

PompK
Tourist
5 0 1

Hi JonW,

Are you able to give an approx timescale for this? 

A couple of months or 6+?

Is there any workarounds?

Without compression my file is 188mb!

Cheers

JonW
Shopify Staff (Retired)
7 2 0

Unfortunately I can't give an exact timeline.

As far as a work around its going to be model dependent. Going from 188MB down to <15MB from Draco compression alone is quite surprising as Draco only effects the geometry/shapeof the model. There is probably far more geometry to the model than is necessary for a good looking model. You'd have to consult a 3D modeller about simplifying the geometry of to get rid of any excessive geometry or if it was something created through photogrammetry lowering the geometric detail it targets.

PompK
Tourist
5 0 1

Understood. Even a rough guide would be amazing? 

Would be great to know if it's worth continuing the modelling in preparation!

Can't say I know a lot about how it works, but at max compression, blender took the glb file down to 11mb!

JonW
Shopify Staff (Retired)
7 2 0

Unfortunately its a complex topic and I'm not a 3D artists so I can't give much guidance. 

Your model should have < 100,000 triangles if you want it perform well on mobile phones. With everything selected in blender you should see a triangle count in the bottom bar (you might have to turn this on in more recent blender versions)

If it is much higher you should look at different tutorials online for simplifying and decimating geometry in blender. This may be significant work.