Feature Request: Product Admin - Hidden Notes Fields

Sarah_Shelton
Tourist
5 0 24

It would be nice to have a notes section that's not seen by customers on admin product pages.

Why?  I need to store Manufacturer links with my products (AliExpress, Etsy, and others).  And possibly some other data.

Would you guys consider adding a hidden notes field that can only be seen on the admin product page?

PS - I know there are apps that can do this, but it seems silly to have to pay money for this functionality.  Plus, it's really painful to have to navigate to the product, then select the app, etc.  It takes a long time to grab a simple note or in my case a link. 

Replies 19 (19)

Lulu
Shopify Staff
911 87 223

Hey, @Sarah_Shelton!

Lulu here from the Shopify Support team. Thanks for reaching out here, and I'll be more than happy to help you out.

Thanks for reaching out about your feature request! I can definitely see how this would be helpful for you. At Shopify, we pride ourselves on the continued growth and development of our platform, and we are only able to strive towards this goal with feedback and comments from merchants just like you.

There is never a guarantee that a request will get a green light, or make it to a product launch, but we really do appreciate you reaching out with your suggestion, as I’m sure you’re not the only merchant with this request. 

Kind regards,
Lulu

Lulu | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

ShopMaster99
Excursionist
31 0 25

This is an enhancement that we would be glad to see as well. We have the option to add notes to customer accounts and sales, it would be very helpful to be able to do the same with our product files. We use the Shopify platform as the main database for our products, but it lacks some vital information options, like the original poster mentioned, no place to manage supplier data, manufacturer order numbers or ordering history. We could use a hidden notes field to handle most of this.

herbgrinders1
Visitor
1 0 4

We really need this option! Put in our suppliers link so when its time to reorder a product we know exactly where to go. 

Sarah_Shelton
Tourist
5 0 24
The workaround we have for this, is we use Stocky. It's a Shopify owned
app that let's you set up 4 custom fields for each product. So we have the
link to the product in one field, the variant name in another, and like a
notes field.

It's also what we use now for forecasting our reorder quantities.
ajizzle
Excursionist
14 0 9

Hello!

I just found this reply.

Are you able to please help me by elaborating on how you set this up and how it looks from admin point of view 

Thanks!

L__Rivera
Tourist
7 0 23

Couldn't a "Timeline" field be added, just like Shopify has on the Orders pages or the Transfers? If we could get the code for the "Timeline" which allows comments, attachments and mentions and be told where to insert it in the Product Template, I feel this would be an easy fix.

MarcoM0857
Excursionist
34 0 115

Lulu/Shopify: The PRODUCT admin page really need at least a couple of more fields just like the current "BarCode" (AlphaNumeric) field that could be used for different purposes like adding info to the actual public page.
ALSO and equally important: An extra note text box for INTERNAL notes is badly needed!

Does Shopify has a kind of "Suggestion/Wish List" where requests such as this one can be posted?

Thank you.

James_TGP
Shopify Partner
34 2 6

Keep it easy and download a metafields app.

youll be able to create custom fields for public and/or private. (as many as you want)

you can the use https://apps.shopify.com/specification-charts to display the public custom fields on the product pages.

Bobbi_Jo_Quigle
Visitor
1 0 4

That specification-charts app looks great for building charts but it is not free, and I don't see how that address this specific issue anyhow. We should not have to pay extra to simple write a backend note to ourselves. 

I simply want to be able to make notes like "inventory last counted by.... on date..." or  "this product did great at the fair..." etc. or "stored in Bin #215". 

mreynolds419
Visitor
2 0 0

@Sarah_Shelton@ajizzle 
@herbgrinders1 
Perfect work-around - when on the product page in the description box where you normally write your description hit the </> in the top right corner of it to enter show HTML from Editor Mode.
In there at the top add a blank line and use <p hidden>
Example:
<p>this will show</p>
What you type in here will show in the description box when you are in editor mode.

<p hidden>Thill will not show</p>
What you type here will not show in description or on product page but when you go to the product  and hit </> to show the HTML again it will be saved there

I always add mine as first line so when I click from editor mode to HTML mode it's at the very top!

Hope this helps 🙂

MarcoM0857
Excursionist
34 0 115

@mreynolds419 Great solution but the new Shopify implementation of the METAFIELD solved the shortcoming as now user can add as many field that appear directly on the Product or Customer admin pages and if needed can be inserted in the web page front end visible to the public.

Congrats to Shopify that I have to says they read and eventually act on user comments and suggestions...

mreynolds419
Visitor
2 0 0

@MarcoM0857 

For some reason I do not see them options on my product page!

MarcoM0857
Excursionist
34 0 115

@mreynolds419 

You need to create first the metafield(s) for them to show up a field at the bottom of the Product/Customer pages.

In Admin go to: Settings > Metafields to created the metafield  you nee.

In my case in the product page I created a metafield for the Product Size and another for Product (Private) Comments.

There are many Apps that offer the creation of Metafield in Shopify but cumbersome... The beauty of this Shopify's implementation is that the field appear in the admin pages! Very simple and convenient.

linknecklaces
Visitor
2 0 2

Will those metafields be used for SEO, can they been seen when you pull up the 'inspect' view for a website or can they been found by anyone without logging into my Shopify? I want to include supplier details and don't want that to be visible anywhere. Thank you!

MarcoM0857
Excursionist
34 0 115

Uhm... That is a VERY good question! I assume that those metafields, being made for "internal use", are not visible to SEO or "inspect", unless you opt to use them on your live product page like we did for the "SIZE" metafield, but your question is a legit one, definitely worth to inquiry Shopify!

Do not wait for an answer here... Just email Shopify Support directly, and it would be nice if you would post here any further info. :). Thanks!

linknecklaces
Visitor
2 0 2

Thank you. I got in touch with Shopify Support. This is the question I asked: "I know how to add Metafields to products and variants (via settings). Will those metafields be used for SEO, can they been seen when you pull up the 'inspect' view for a website or can they been found by anyone without logging into my Shopify? I want to include supplier details and don't want that to be visible anywhere."

And this was their response:

Shopify: "Regarding your questions those information will not be included once you pull up the inspect"

Me: "Can it be seen by anyone who is not logged in?"

Shopify: "No, those information will not be visible/seen by anyone. But let me check about the SEO"

Me: "Thank you. I need to make absolutely sure no one can pull that info from our store. And I don't want SEO to link our store to certain suppliers that I buy from"

Shopify: "Thank you for patiently waiting on the line with me. I definitely understand the concern and urgency of this matter as you want to make sure that no one can pull that information from your store. I was able to replicate this on my end and no worries, I was able to confirm that those information does not show since those are edited from theme itself and can only be seen/edit within your theme only"

Me: "So to confirm: Any text I enter into metafields that I have added to my store (and for which 'storefronts' and 'automated collections' are not checked) cannot be seen by anyone not logged into my Shopify. It can also not be seen by 'inspect' and SEO doesn't 'see' text in these metafield. Correct?"

Shopify: "That's absolutely correct!"

MarcoM0857
Excursionist
34 0 115

Thank You! You provided a VERY valuable information to the Shopify community.

Truly appreciated.

IrishIron
Visitor
1 0 0

Would these hidden notes be visible if someone were to view your source code? 

Paul-Etienne
Visitor
1 0 0

It will be very helpful to have a timeline like for the order page to put personal notes. We sell cooking kits and we modify the recipes when we have client feedbacks. I currently use a Notion.io database to keep track of those modifications. It creates duplicates between Shopify and Notion and it will be easier to have everything in Shopify.