Fraud Prevention In Store Pickup Guidance

ProEdgePB
Visitor
3 0 2

We are considering offering in store pickup but can’t seem to find any guidance on preventing fraud when a customer picks up the product. 

I have no way to prove the customer picked up the product and if we check ID and they do a chargeback, how do it fight the dispute without any tracking to validate it was delivered? 

I reached out to Shopify customer support and didn’t get any answers. 

If anyone wants to share their process or rules they follow to help prevent this issue it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you everyone for your help

John Jackson

Pro Edge Paintball

Reply 1 (1)

Ren
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1032 66 153

Hi @ProEdgePB

Thanks for the post and for bringing this to our attention!

I believe that essentially, you'll want to protect yourself the same way a brick-and-mortar store would. This includes printed/physical receipts and signatures, as in the event of a charge-back, you would have very compelling evidence to suggest the transaction was legitimate. 

I found a helpful third-party resource here, which supports my recommendations above. As far as Shopify related content on chargebacks, we do have this comprehensive guide that discusses fraud that is specific to retail. The section on keeping accurate records and clearly defined store policies is especially important to note.

I will be sure to put in a request for more content and resources specific to scenarios that involve store pick-up and will post a reply when I have any relevant updates for you. 

If I can help in any other way, please let me know.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.