How can I change the default Blog url

NSheppard
Tourist
3 0 1

Simply add a URL redirect: https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/sell-online/online-store/menus-and-links/url-redirect

If you add /blog to go to your /blogs/blog URL, it works.

Ie. I added a redirect from curlshoppe.ca/blog to curlshoppe.ca/blogs/blog

2020-03-18_15-21-54.png

0 Likes

There's a real serious problem here that Shopify needs to address asap. This is because, as I've just found out from my Google Ads guys is that last year Google stopped crawling pages where the URL contained the word blog. This was a decision taken by Google in order to prevent sites that are using this to increase their status on Google search by posting loads of blogs, etc. It's part of their trying to return only quality search results.

This is a serious issue as I'm sure all can appreciate that Google is not crawling our blogs, so we need to be able to have the ability to change the URL from blog to something different or have blog taken out from the URL equation all together so that if you wanted to see news it would be domain.com/news not domain.com/blogs/news as Google won't crawl the latter!

Kjankko
Pathfinder
154 3 18

Hi Friends,

Could it be possible to change URL structure in blog pages. I mean: mydomain.com/blogs/news/awesome-images-for-kids

Is it possible to remove that "news/" from the URL in somewhere editing code?

-TSA

You can it's the name of the blog section - so you can call it something
else. Just go to Online store > blogs > manage blogs and you should have a
"news" section there.
Kjankko
Pathfinder
154 3 18

Okey, thank you for the quick reply @ZeroWasteCo.

0 Likes
EComWiz
Shopify Partner
6 0 5

The ideal way to do what your looking to do is the following:

1. Use a ‘sub domain’ - such as “https://Blog.AquaSupercenter.com” —> which you can make that be a fully customizable Wordpress.org blog. 
  2. The other way is to just not get caught up in the ‘minor details’ due to perfectionism. The amount of time and energy you will use trying to figure out a good solution and to be honest; the more you dig and learn the more you will just put your head in the sand and never do anything... (I’ve been doing this a very long time, so I’m speaking from experience from friends who own ECOM sites or myself who owns multiple 7-8 figure Shopify sites).

Just remember that doing a ‘sub domain’ - Google looks at that as a 100% separate site than your core domain ‘AquaSupercenter.com’. In my experience most people don’t create blogs to just write letters and expecting no benefits out of them... The *point* behind a blog and your question is to help build authority, links, audience, etc. 

So trust me; this will get very confusing. I suggest choosing a path and focusing on GOOD content (30%) and focus on marketing and sharing that content (70%) and again - trust me by the time you figure out a plan you will get much farther with Shopify’s default option. I can say that I have blog  posts showing up on page 1 of Google for very very competitive search terms.

*IF* you use a ‘app’ or ‘iFrame’ to get around the default structure; you will likely loose all SEO value or a major amount of it. Redirects do not pass thru 100% of the redirects. Google does not index inside of a iFrame as far as my knowledge and Google’s best practices. They actually do not recommend iFrames for content on a page. 

I’d be happy to talk to you on  the phone about this and share my experiences (I  wish someone gave me this advice a LONG time ago to be honest with you). Feel free to email me at SmithCOVentures@Gmail.com.

Good Luck & Happy Selling!

- Owner of multiple Shopify 7 and 8 figure annual sales websites.Started first Ecommerce Company in 2001 and have since started over 60 Corporations since. 5 time INC500 Company and 10 time Internet Retailer Top 500 Largest Internet Retailer in America award winner. Shopify Partner - I love to help and share knowledge as well as coach / consult on a very limited basis.
0 Likes
EComWiz
Shopify Partner
6 0 5

I hate to call anyone out; but for this post - I can say with first hand experience that Google is not doing that. Maybe thats their future ‘plan’ and with Google its common that they test it with 1% of users or a specific geographic area and pretty much 80% of Google’s ‘plans’ end up just being scrapped after a short testing period. 20% end up live and even when that happens; they allow years of explaining this before they start to ‘ding’ sites for this.

Remember the major ‘whole website SSL’ recommendation Google gave us in 2017(?) or earlier.... It wasn’t until late 2018 which they started putting some ‘https’ sites ahead.... 2019 was the year where the browser went live that changed the game and therefore everyone had to be https or they would look bad on Google Chrome browsers. Yet, even then; we had competitors with ‘http’ links ranking over our ‘https’ links in 2020. 

Point is like my other post I wrote in this topic, don’t focus on things like this. There has been *ONE* core thing that Google says and has been saying for over 15 years now and yet everyone focuses on minor changes/tests vs the most important ranking factor. Google recommends that you create a blog post with *GOOD* content, written well, they want to see customers staying on that page for long periods and not bouncing off the page due to poor content. Google also wants to see people sharing the blog post as the content is AMAZING. The facts are very very basic and once this is done and done well - THEN fine tune details like ‘blog’ vs ‘blogs’ in the URL or no ‘blog’ at all in the URL. The facts are there is more content written in 1 day than if you took every word written in history as we know it..... So imagine just how much content that is that’s posted daily.... Google is all for content being good and written for the users; the users are your #1 benefit and they will share good content. 

The ironic thing if you just Google “Blogs” or “Top Blogging Tips” = Some of the most competitive keywords on the web right now and the majority of them included /blog/ in their URL and were in the top 3 ranked in google for organic listings.....

Sorry! I really hate going against a fellow Shopify User & Partner but I don’t want to put things in people’s head to get them over thinking simple things then they should be focusing on writing the most amazing piece of content there is about the topic your writing about..... Then market it and share it on ALL social media channels, boost the post w/ $10, invite comments and shares. Go on Fiverr or Odesk and hire someone to create a video for $15 + $15 professional voice over and insert the video in the post as well as have the blog video transcribed and posted on YouTube, Vimeo, Etc. Linking back to original blog.... Again, remember how much content is out there - you MUST market your blog post to win.... The LEAST thing you should be worried about is your URL to be honest at this point unless your site has authority where your posting a blog post and your on top 5 pages of Google within a month; then the little details will matter but I guarantee your blog post isn’t on Google unless you posted a sitemap to Google Search Console after a month.....or it may show up but on page 8,250.... Facts are 90% of users never go to page 2 even...

I hold us ‘professionals’ ‘ ‘Shopify Partners’ in a different light as its our job to give best advice to our customers; so this is not meant to say “your wrong” - I feel my job is to put other Shopify Ecom Sites best interest #1. Thats my only goal with this. 

- Owner of multiple Shopify 7 and 8 figure annual sales websites.Started first Ecommerce Company in 2001 and have since started over 60 Corporations since. 5 time INC500 Company and 10 time Internet Retailer Top 500 Largest Internet Retailer in America award winner. Shopify Partner - I love to help and share knowledge as well as coach / consult on a very limited basis.
Rob_Lent
Tourist
9 0 7

So, as an ecommerce site, "blogs" doesn't exactly sound professional. It would be great to change it to "articles" or something similar, but blogs just has that casual feeling to it.... any way to change the name of "blogs" overall?

0 Likes
Josh_Carr
2 0 0

3 years on since OP first posted this issue, any fix?

I too would like my blog URL to be www.mysite.com/blog

P.S. Why have more than one blog anyway? I would have a guess that 1 in 100 sites have more than one blog.

0 Likes
Ryan_B_
3 0 0

@ZeroWasteCo I'd love to see a source proving this claim that Google stopped crawling pages containing "blog" is true.

I'm sure it's NOT true.

One example, of thousands, is Ahrefs blog. They use /blog/ in their URL structure. They have a hugely successful blog and are one of the most prominent names in SEO, and their blog web pages are definitely crawled/indexed in Google. 

Having "blog" in the URL is a non-issue.

0 Likes