Ronald2
Tourist
9 0 3

Hello

Thanks for reading and I hope you are making lot of money online 😄

I am trying to change blog url, For example

Current URL structure:
https://domainname.com.au/blogs/category-name/how-to-make-nice-photo-frame

From the url all the parts are clear, Except one. The word "Blogs" in the URL, I am looking a way to remove that or change the text.

Any idea how can I do it ?

Thanks

Replies 39 (39)
quirkyeclectic
1 0 0

I want to change my blog to where it has the url blog.mydomain.net so that I can link it up with medium.com and hopefully monetize it.  I tried this redirect message but it's telling me it only works with broken links?  Is there a way to make this happen?  If I can leverage whatever audience I get on this page and send them to my medium.com publications I can make money from medium.com.  Thanks in advance for your help everyone!

Tobias5
Excursionist
11 0 9

I too would like to see my blogs urls as: https://example.com/blog-title instead of the https://example.com/blogs/blog-category/blog-title. But it won't let me from creating awesome new blog posts every week, as (even with the long urls) my blog posts are ranking fine. 

Andresfep
1 0 0

Hi Ava, Is there a specific Shopify resource you can provide for how to host a shopify blog onto Wordpress?

Ava
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1161 77 190

Hey, @Andresfep! Just so I'm sure on how to best answer you, can you give me a little more context on what you'd like to do here? Do you have a WordPress site and you want to feed your Shopify blogs onto that site? Or is it the other way around; bring your WordPress blog onto your Shopify site?

Ava | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

mahnunchik
1 0 0

Any news?

Dirk
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1635 200 361

Hey, @mahnunchik 

At this time, our URL structure is still hardcoded into our system as such. If you would like, I can pass this feedback up to our development team for potential future implementation.

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 

Tarantinos
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi @Dirk Our store is looking for this feature as well, we too would like the option to change the "Blogs" to either just "blog" or something more custom such as "flower-blog". We see any future improvement to the blog section to be highly valuable as we continue to develop SEO rich content for our customers and our domain. 

Dirk
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1635 200 361

Hey, @Tarantinos 

We really appreciate your input on suggesting the ability to edit the URL slugs. Although we don't have a timetable on this being considered to roll-out as a feature, we certainly appreciate the feedback. This helps us steer the direction of the Shopify to continue developing a feature rich platform.

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 

Tarantinos
Tourist
4 0 1

Sure happy to help,
We have an excited development team here at Fiftyflowers.com and are happy to help push any new feature, API or other improvement to it's max. Please feel free to use us for feedback - or to test any beta features you're looking to implement.

hichris
Tourist
4 0 2

Hi,

Is there any update for this feature?

Actually, I really want to change the default URL structure, the current is so unfriendly for SEO.

If I can't remove the '/blog/' item, could I remove the 'category' item?

Thanks,

Chris

Andrew
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1461 149 268

Hi @hichris

While there is no update to this as yet, I will be sure to add your comments to the feedback we provide internally.

Shopify has built-in search engine optimization (SEO) to make sure that search engines can easily find all of your content, but there are a few other steps you can take in the meantime as outlined in our guide Optimizing your site structure for search engines.

I hope that helps in the meantime!

Andrew | Social Care @ Shopify 

hichris
Tourist
4 0 2

Hi Andrew,

I know that, but this problem has been there for many years.

I saw many people complain about this because it's really bad for SEO.

Hope you can fix it in the future.

Thanks,

Chris

DavidR2D2
Tourist
9 0 5

I can't believe it's been years and nothing has changed. I think just having the root domain as "blogs" is silly, it should be "blog". I would actually just like to change it to "blog" and be fine with that, or ideally, add a custom root domain. Shopify should really just make it singular, not sure why they made it plural to start with. 

Don
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
2097 147 281

Hi there @DavidR2D2!

Thanks for chiming in here to share your feedback with the Community!

What I can do for you from here is to file this feedback with our developer team internally, so they know this is being sought-after by our merchants.

While we can't confirm if a given request will be processed, we do rely upon and appreciate getting these requests from our Community.

To keep up to date with any changes or new features added to Shopify, I'd recommend you check out our Changelog page here.

All the best!

Don | Social Care @ Shopify 

hichris
Tourist
4 0 2

Hi,

We know that, but does your team really care about this?

This problem had been out there for many years, I saw many people complained about this issue.

I don't know what should I say.

Thanks,

Chris

Don
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
2097 147 281

Hi again, @hichris!

I can confirm that our developer teams review every request filed in this way, and take into account all such merchant feedback when considering updates to the platform in the future.

As above though, we're not able to give a timeline on or even confirm if a given change will be implemented in the platform.

The more requests we have on a topic, the more likely that will be considered; though there are technical considerations behind the scenes that will also play a part in the feasibility of a given feature request.

I cannot confirm when or if this will be introduced, but I can confirm that taking the time to file this request is the best thing you can do to make it happen one day.

Best of luck with everything!

Don | Social Care @ Shopify 

ezkentucky
1 0 2

Shopify definitely needs to make the blog category URL editable at the very least. I agree with the other comments that this needs to be a priority. The blog URL's are terrible, and are keeping us from migrating our blogs to Shopify. Please make this issue a priority!

Andrew
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1461 149 268

Thank you everyone for your feedback and rest assured that the feature request has been raised with our developers. We will share updates if and when they become available! In the meantime, as mentioned previously, please keep an eye on Shopify's Changelog for platform changes.

Andrew | Social Care @ Shopify 

roowilliams
Tourist
4 0 0

Another one for option to change this part of the URL structure. My client wants to refer to their blog as a 'zine'. Right now for a post titled 'introducing future now' I have /blogs/zine/introducing-future-now 😑 when I'm working so hard to build a custom feeling site this just feels cookie cutter and also redundant. Would love it to simply be /zine/introducing-future-now. I was surprised by this pretty opinionated blind spot.

something
1 0 0

The feedback it seems has been passed on for years, but no movement on a very basic issue. Wordpress is a dream compared.