Solved

How can I fix the error message while transferring my domain name?

PeterAharnThai
Visitor
2 0 1

Hi, hoping someone can HELP as I am in a world of pain trying to do a domain name transfer.

Firstly please accept my apologies for length of this message.

My online shop is all set up and ready for launch.

So I contacted my old provider Vistaprint (Domain name managed by Tucows) and they were very pleasant and released the Domain name and sent me a  verification code.

I followed the steps following as per shopify instructions:

Step 4: Transfer your domain

Before you transfer your domain, your domain needs to be unlocked and you need to have a transfer authorization code. If you don't have a transfer authorization code, then make sure you've followed all the steps to prepare your domain for transfer.

Steps:

1. From your Shopify admin, click Online Store > Domains.
  2. Click Transfer domain.
  3. Enter the domain that you want to transfer to Shopify. Do not include www. at the beginning of the domain.
  4. Click Next.
  5. Click Verify domain.
  6. Depending on which message is displayed, do one of the following:
    • If DOMAIN UNLOCKED is displayed, then the domain is ready to be transferred. Click Next to continue.
    • If DOMAIN LOCKED is displayed, then make sure you've prepared your domain for transfer.
  7. In the Verification code dialog box, enter the authorization code, or EPP code, given by your domain provider.
  8. Click Next.
  9. Click Buy and transfer.
  10. Check the email account associated with your domain. Depending on your domain provider, you might have an email asking you to confirm these changes. The email message varies, but you need to approve the domain transfer by clicking a link such as Confirm Transfer or Approve Transfer.

HOWEVER:

Every time I get to step 5 verify Domain name it comes back with this error message:

Connecting your domain

A and CNAME entered incorrectly

Check that you've entered the required values, and verify your connection again.

CNAME (www)

Current value: [Empty]
Required value: shops.myshopify.com Copy

A RECORD (@)

Current IP address: [Empty]
Required IP address: 23.227.38.65 Copy

Connection incomplete

Some providers take a few minutes to update their settings. Try verifying again, or add your domain now and check back later for connection updates.

I am now stuck in a very difficult situation where my website is not able to be seen by my customers and I and bleeding money.

Can anyone help me with with. Please accept my apologies as I am not tech savvy, and I can not find a customer service number to talk to someone at shopify.

Hoping someone here would know what the problem is and kindly assist

Thanks

Peter

Accepted Solution (1)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 984

This is an accepted solution.

@PeterAharnThai 

I think you may be in the wrong area as the details you've provided would indicate you're trying to connect a pointed domain vs transferring a domain. When you go to Online Store/Domains, you should see the option to "Connect an Existing Domain" 

17-18-92185-75577

Once you've clicked this button, you'll want to select "transfer in your domain" instead of typing your domain in the text box shown: 

17-19-23377-83374

You should then see a screen that says "Transfer Domain" 

17-20-41219-26571

Enter your domain name here and follow the steps. Once done, that should begin the transfer process which can take between 10-20 business days. 

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 7 (7)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 984

This is an accepted solution.

@PeterAharnThai 

I think you may be in the wrong area as the details you've provided would indicate you're trying to connect a pointed domain vs transferring a domain. When you go to Online Store/Domains, you should see the option to "Connect an Existing Domain" 

17-18-92185-75577

Once you've clicked this button, you'll want to select "transfer in your domain" instead of typing your domain in the text box shown: 

17-19-23377-83374

You should then see a screen that says "Transfer Domain" 

17-20-41219-26571

Enter your domain name here and follow the steps. Once done, that should begin the transfer process which can take between 10-20 business days. 

PeterAharnThai
Visitor
2 0 1
Thank you so much for you reply Trevor.

You were correct, plus I also had to adjust some settings with the Domain
Provider.

My suite is now up and running.

Thank you again for your help, guidance and assistance.

Thanks
Peter
BL51
Tourist
6 0 0

Hi Trevor - 

I know that this thread is a little dated, but figure the process hasn't changed much if at all. I have 3 domains I recently purchased with Squarespace and have unlocked all 3 and also gotten authorization codes for them... twice. 

I have followed the processes you outlined several times, tried every link and read about as much as I care to read for the last 4-5 days and videos etc. - whenever I start the transfer, it just gives me a red banner that says, "Domain transfer failed" and a generic, non useful explanation of:
did not transfer to Shopify. There could be a problem with your current provider. Check that your domain is unlocked and the Auth-Code is correct."

So how am I supposed to figure this out if there are no error codes to look up, nothing to go off of? This is very frustrating as I'm spending the time for the sign up just trying to get my domain to link with Shopify.
I was able to use my domain with the myshopify.com added so I could at least get started on my store, but this is not acceptable for the process of actually having a domain that points to my soon to be storefront.

Thank you.

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 984

@BL51 

Keyword I picked up there was "recent" - If these are purchased within the last 60 days, then you're locked in with Squarespace until the required 60 period expires. That is enforced by ICANN and not something any provider can bypass. 

If past 60 days, then we're at the whim of Squarespace and whomever they use to host their domains. You may need to contact them to understand why they are rejecting the transfer request if the unlock codes and minimum criteria is met. 

If you're stuck waiting for the 60 days to expire, then you don't need to transfer the domain, you can simply point it to us by editing the DNS settings. You can find more on the differences, here.

BL51
Tourist
6 0 0
Hi Trevor -

Thank you for the fast response!
I checked with Squarespace and they say that if I purchased with them and
am the admin of the domains (which I am) they do not enforce the 60 day
lock or timeframe, however, I will look at the DNS settings you linked.
In the meantime, I am ok with building and working on the product lists
etc. with the .myshopify.com suffix until ready to go live and public.

I'll reply back with my findings about the DNS settings and see if that
does anything for what I'm trying to do.
Thank you!
Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 984

Interesting! Looked up the ICANN website and learned this is an optional lock that registrars can enforce. If thats the case, then, they'd know best why the domain is failing on the transfer request but if you're in the early stages of setup, then the domain, as you've noted, isn't imperative, its just a nice to have. 

Hopefully it'll go smoothly once you're ready to go live. 

BL51
Tourist
6 0 0

I know that this is an old post, but the domain eventually transferred about about 90 days and I've been 100% since. Sorry for not following up.