How can I get a county-wise sales tax report in South Carolina?

mmyburgh
Tourist
5 0 4

When filing taxes in South Carolina, I need to provide the sales total per county then the department of revenue calculates the tax. Shopify only provides a report on taxes paid not the sales total. Has anyone had this similar problem? Is there a solution for the problem, Shopify has not been able to provide this report? They say that Shopify does not store the county the sales were made in.

Replies 7 (7)

Report-Pundit
Trailblazer
304 11 20

Hi @mmyburgh ,

By using Report Pundit, you can view the sales & tax figures per county.

You also get access to more than 80 pre-made reports on sales, tax, and payouts.

You can reach us at support@reportpundit.com

Thanks!

Report Pundit - Instant reports and custom dashboards

tongbo
Shopify Partner
12 0 0

Hi MmyBurgh,

Sidr Tax is built for exactly that. We provide state, county, and city-level reports readily made for you.

You can email us at support@sidr.io. We also provide chat support directly in our app.

Best,

Tongbo

CTO at Sidr Tax

BetterReports-C
Shopify Partner
77 0 6

Hi @mmyburgh 

Claudia here from Better Reports.

Have you been able to find a solution? If not, I would recommend our app Better Reports for this.

We can create a report showing sales metrics by tax names in their unique combination. The report can also be sorted or filtered by state to only show South Carolina's figures.

In addition to this, Better Reports has more than 60 built-in reports available out of the box that cover many common use cases for merchants. You can schedule reports to run at set frequencies to your email or Google Drive or export the reports in CSV, Excel or PDF format.

I encourage you to install Better Reports and start your free 14-day trial and I'll be happy to set this up for you.

What do you think?

jsygiel
Visitor
2 0 4

Hi Mmyburgh, I'm dealing with the same issue in New York. It is ridiculous that Shopify's Sales Tax report doesn't include the sales total. I just filed my sales taxes and had to do hours of work in Excel to match up the order totals with the order numbers provided on the Sales Tax report. Sorry I don't have a good answer for you. Hoping that the Shopify team will add that information to the report soon!

vitalbody
Visitor
1 0 3

Yes, same issue here. I cannot believe they are now charging for Shopify Tax, which is totally useless without showing the sales total per county/district. When you file in CA it's the same thing - they calculate the tax total based on the sales total. Shopify - FIX THIS!

dannye770
Excursionist
20 1 9

Same in MN -- States all want us to report TOTAL SALES in each jurisdiction; then they tell us how much we owe. 

I write formulas in Excel to calculate the total sales from the percentage and tax collected, but this is imperfect and leads to incorrect totals. A Total Sales column within the existing report would take care of this problem. Please and thank you!!

msaltzman
Tourist
10 0 4

Same problem for doing taxes in New York. Sadly, this is a known issue that I commented on in 2021 (but that post is now no longer on here? presumably archived, even though its still very much an issue). 

What Shopify is doing wrong (and made worse for 2023 taxes): The state doesn't want you to TELL THEM what you owe-- they want to know your numbers, specifically your gross sales on a county or district level and then they TELL YOU what you owe. Which, honestly makes sense. Shopify doesnt break down the sales/sales tax that way, in the past, they told you the county level tax due (with state portions removed), you could reverse engineer it by dividing by the tax rate to get the gross sales line by line (I use google docs). Unfortunately, Shopify has "improved" the way they feed you this info, by now separating out the shipping expenses... so... now you need to add those back in first, because Shopify loves to "help us" do taxes.

Here's what Id recommend: Export as CSV, import into an excel-like program of your choice. Add the shipping tax due and item tax due, then take that number and divide by the tax rate to get your gross sales. Formula all of that, copy paste for very county/city/district. Goodluck.

Shopify: Im sure someone on their Shopify technical team wanted a pat back for making the report look slightly prettier-- you wont be getting that from me. If I sound salty, I am. There's just no excuse for 4+ years of a tax report that feeds the wrong pieces of information to shops. Shopify is a multi-billion dollar company thats failing on a very basic report level.  Here's hoping Shopify eventually gets someone whose actually done sales taxes before into their technical/design team... but so far, they've just made it worse. Or, Shopify, maybe just buy one of the vultures in these comments, so we can get functional reports without paying their absurd ($50+) monthly fees for all their extra "great features".