How can I start a Shopify store if I am under 18

Solved
entre
2 0 1

Hello, I am 17 years old from the US, and I am looking forward to starting a Shopify store. I have a few concerns about the payment setup: Do I need to use the name and SSN of my parents, as well as their banking information, or can I use my bank account? Will it affect my parents' taxes? How can I manage the money I own if I use my parents' banking info on Shopify?

Replies 16 (16)
oetsuru
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi! Sorry, just to confirm here, I’m still a little confused. If I am 15, would it be a violation of Shopify’s Terms if I register a Shopify account undermy parents legal information but input my own bank account for transactions? 

Nick
Community Moderator
4247 422 884

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @oetsuru,

As a minor you can add your bank account for payouts but the credit card (CC) used for billing would need to be your parents. Your parent's would also need to be the account owners (AO) and you (the minor) a staff member.

There can be a few steps to this process and getting it set up. Your best bet could be to create an account (so you can log in when you reach out to support for authentication purposes) and then reach out to our support team directly to get the account set up properly. You can contact the support team directly here for that. Let me know if you have any other questions! 

Nick | Community Moderator @Shopify 

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 

- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

oetsuru
Tourist
4 0 1
Hi Nick! Thank you for your quick response. Does this mean that all profit
I make will be put into my bank account, but fees and taxes will be charged
through my parents credit card?

Nick
Community Moderator
4247 422 884

Hi @oetsuru,

Great questions. What would happen here is the same as any other account, if you're using Shopify Payments (SP), then transaction fees are deducted from your payouts and the remainder is transferred to the bank account. If for some reason your payouts didn’t cover his transaction fees then it would be charged on the CC for billing which would be your parents in this instance yes. 

Can I ask which country you're based in to see if you're eligible to use SP's as your payment gateway?

Let me know if you do have any other questions about Shopify or setting up your account! 

oetsuru
Tourist
4 0 1
Hi Nick,

I am in the US so I believe that I am in fact eligible to use SP. So as
long as I retain a steady profit, and (hopefully) no customer issues, my
parents card would not be billed?
Nick
Community Moderator
4247 422 884

Almost! The credit card will be billed for any Shopify-related charges. For example, the card will be charged every month for the Shopify subscription. You may also be charged for any apps you install or any shipping labels you may create. The funds your store generates can not go towards the monthly invoice as they will need to be paid separately. 

Wishing you the best with it all and like I said if you have any other questions about Shopify or setting up your store. Don't hesitate to ask. 

oetsuru
Tourist
4 0 1
Ok, thank you so much! You’ve been super helpful.