how do I email an invoice to a customer

nertanz
Visitor
2 0 2

customer ordered and paid, but didn't put email address in

later they emailed me direct and asked for an invoice, however I cannot find an option to send one, even after I have added their email address to their profile.

Replies 29 (29)

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @nertanz,

Nick here from Shopify. Great question!

You mentioned you added the email address to the customer profile, but I don't think that would automatically update the order in question. There should be a Contact Information Edit section on the side of the order where you can add an email address. Did you try adding it to that section and then seeing if it will allow you to send the invoice? 

If that doesn't work, your best bet would probably be to download the Order Printer app unless you have done already, then download a PDF of the invoice and email it separately to the customer. While that's not ideal and will take a few more steps, it would still be the easiest method other than the normal way. 

Hopefully, this helps!

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

HuyenDang
Visitor
1 0 2

My customer already has his email address with his profile, however, I still can't enable the button "email invoice" in Email Invoice tab (as image below). Is there any way to do it apart from downloading Older Printer app as you mentioned?

PSAU
Tourist
5 0 9

We shouldn't have to download an app. Please provide a solution asap, as this is an Australian taxation requirement.

The app you have mentioned (order printer) is useless as it is impossible to use and slows down our day-to-day processes. If Shopify cannot resolve such a simple request than we will look for another platform.

yassinemouskou
Visitor
1 0 0

so with orderprinter how can you adjust the tax to 21% how can you add more details

UnicornTouch
Visitor
1 0 0

As you have mentioned in post, he emailed you, so you can take email id from there.

Invoice depends on your service, so the services which you are providing for customer and what charges you are taking, so you should mention all the thing in the invoice including taxes.

UnicornTouch.com

Bjorn_Forsberg_
Shopify Partner
303 4 70

Hey there,

You can setup your Shopify email receipts to contain a download pdf invoice link in them, using the Order Printer Pro app. You set it up once, then customers can automatically download their invoices for every order.

https://apps.shopify.com/order-printer-pro

Hope it helps,

Bjorn

Bjorn Forsberg | FORSBERG+two | Award-winning Shopify Apps since 2011

jasonavada
Shopify Partner
333 11 42

Hi there,

As an owner of an online store on Shopify, your job when you have the orders is to email the invoices to your customer. This article explains the process of how to do that, have a look at it: https://avada.io/shopify/docs/how-email-invoice-shopify.html

Hope we can solve your problems ^^

I'm Jason Dao, Manager of Research & Development Department at Avada Ecommerce.
jessieDee
Visitor
1 0 25

its not "our job" to email invoices - carts should do that automatically. My big Commerce store has done that for years! 
This is a pretty basic functionality that all carts now have - I'm new to shopify - is it seriously only available with an add-on?
I have over 100 orders to send invoices to - it is NOT "my job" to send invoices. It is basic software.

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @jessieDee,

It's possible to send an invoice without an add on. The initial question was referring to when the customer didn't have their email added i n the first place. You can see the Shopify help document on how to send an email invoice here

@HuyenDang I'm wondering if you marked the draft order as paid in this instance? The reason I ask is because of the caution notice on the document saying the following: 

20-04-qefj3-14wgn

Keverv
4 0 0

Hey @Nick 

i have the same problem as Huyen on a store I’m setting up. Is there something else missing? 

F3FE736C-079D-403D-A0F6-0054C2600B66.jpeg

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @Keverv,

Without seeing any more details of the order, it's difficult to see and know what might be going on here. 

Is this a real order from a customer or a test order and did the customer or test order contain an email address when it was made? 

As I mentioned above, you can send an email invoice natively by going through the steps here or use an app such as the one @Bjorn_Forsberg_ has created which is the one I use for my store and like the best also, Order Printer Pro where there is a free plan available. 

imnewhere
Tourist
6 1 2

"Emailing natively" is not an option when the "Email Invoice" button is greyed out....

Survivorist
Visitor
1 0 5

Please Shopify, providing a tax invoice for a paid customer order is a basic core function you should provide.  It is absolutely an Australian Taxation Office requirement that the seller provide the tourist with a paid tax invoice(gst exempt)  if leaving our shores within something like 6-8 weeks.  I'd also argue is is a basic right of any consumer to request such.

joshuarowley42
Visitor
2 0 3

I'm totally staggered that this is still an issue.

How can the customers not automatically (or via a self-service mechanism) get an invoice for their order?

Josh

FilipposD
Shopify Partner
45 1 19

Invoice is a template in Settings > Notifications > Order Invoice 

To automatically send an invoice, and depending on which event should trigger it, you can just add the Invoice code into the order email (e.g. Order Confirmation).

joshuarowley42
Visitor
2 0 3

@FilipposD- thank you so much for your helpful response.

Unfortunately that only sends an invoice when "the order has an outstanding balance". Our customers pay using card (as I imagine is the case with 95% of Shopify stores), and so there is no outstanding balance to trigger the invoice.

This invoice needs to be issued right after the order has been created (or even better, shipped). Do you have any idea if that is possible?

Cheers,

Josh

FilipposD
Shopify Partner
45 1 19

@joshuarowley42 the order confirmation email is sent once an order is created. There's also a Shipping Confirmation email. These are in Settings > Notifications.

If you added the code from the invoice template, to either one of these templates, the invoice would be sent as part of that email. This would require some adjustments though.

Doesn't this work for you?

schosskinder
Visitor
1 0 3

Hi, did you find a solution to this problem? I don't want to send a pdf as an invoice link, I just want to send the invoice to show my customer that the product is paid for automatically. That is what you needed too right? Best regards

landed
Excursionist
19 0 24

This is really basic and what most other shops I have used enable within the basic package. Sending an invoice for an already paid order is what we want to do for people.
The customer email is there. How come we have to add an app for this functionality? Every time you add an app you slow your site down. I don't want any more apps.

I just want to send an invoice for an existing order.

JustJC
Tourist
4 0 7

Ditto to all the complaints and frustration posted here!

I would LOVE to see this as an option under the "More Options" dropdown on good old native Shopify.

"Email Receipt" Option"Email Receipt" Option

I also sell Wholesale and some customers pay me AFTER the order leaves my warehouse. When they call telling me they never received order details because of an email address issue we or they have or ask for a copy of their invoice, it sure would be nice to click a few times while they are still on the line and have it dealt with so I can move on before my phone rings again.  

BartLimber
Tourist
8 0 2

Yes to this! 

fr3eze
Tourist
8 0 11

I too don't get it why we can't automatically send invoice for all paid orders, just like the order confirmation email, WITHOUT AN APP.

I'm in the middle of customising all my transactional email. It would be great if I can keep all the Shopify email in one place without additional charges.

Sufio
Shopify Partner
182 2 58

Hi all,

In case you would like to automatically send invoices to your customer via an app, Sufio is here for you 🙂 With the Sufio app, you can create designed invoices and send them to your customers once the order is created, paid, or fulfilled. You can also edit the email template.

If you have any questions on how the Sufio app can help you, feel free to get in touch at support@sufio.com!

Lenka from Sufio

jtframe
Visitor
1 0 1

For anyone who's stuck here reading this and seeing there's no solution, here's a BS hack to work it on any computer:

Go to the order (paid, archived, whatever), and top right: Under "more action" is the 'print order page' which offers everything - and too much info than what you need to send the customer. (what you paid for shipping, times, notes, etc)... However, if you print to PDF, scale up to 100, and ax the bottom margin... you have what shopify should have offered years ago. A PDF invoice copy with only the relevant info for the client. Party. 

LanaP
Visitor
1 0 0

Thanks for this tip! I've just done exactly this and sent it to the customer who requested this. Fingers crossed that it meets his needs. 🙂 

TimAU
Excursionist
28 0 6

there is now another free app for sending the PDF invoice link within the order confirmation email/notification from Shopify, and it's customisable , i.e. could change the name to "Tax IOnvoice" for Australia. We've just started to use it but no feedback as yet. https://apps.shopify.com/invoice-wizard?st_source=autocomplete

Karen1975
Visitor
1 0 2

Thanks Tim for this, you are a lifesaver. Spent ages trying to work this out & this app is great. Now need a rather large beer 😪

Cheers 

jamroll
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

I love I had to scroll and read right to the bottom to find the perfect answer. Installed Invoice Wizzard - it's exactly what you're all looking for. (invoice download button, rather than attaching as a pdf... but that works for me)

BartLimber
Tourist
8 0 2

Just signed up to this and looks great and I am able to use it in a way that means I meet all requirements for Aus and other markets individually. Thank you @TimAU