How to get standard mail (envelope) rates (not parcel) for Canada Post?

mm1989
Visitor
3 0 2

My Current items are pretty thin and can fit through the slot size limit for standard mail (i.e. what you would use to mail a letter or thin envelope).  Therefore, I should be able to pay around $2-3 for shipping. 

But if I want to print labels using my store I have to pay at least $10 for an expedited parcel.  Even though there is an option for envelopes (and the dimensions are slim enough to fit) it does not change the rate or method.  

I've heard you can connect to Canada Post for $20 extra a month, but does anyone have experience with this and it working for thin envelope (standard mail) rates?

Thanks. 

Replies 24 (24)

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hello, @mm1989.

Elias here with Shopify Support. Thank you for reaching out.

I can confirm that the Carrier Calculated Shipping add-on ($20/month) does not include lettermail rates from Canada Post. I also found another forum that discusses this and it provides a couple suggestions, feel free to take a look right here

Another solution is to set up manual rates using Canada Post’s lettermail prices, which will help get your manual rates as close as possible to Canada Post’s. By using weight-based rates, it will be like creating your own calculated rates for lettermail.

Having lettermail rates from Canada Post is definitely worth putting forth a feature request to our developers, and I’ll be happy to take care of that. 

If you have any further questions regarding this topic, feel free to reply to this thread and I’d be happy to help.

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

pagexrage
Excursionist
12 0 6

Hi Elias, has this feature gotten a go ahead from Shopify? 

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hey, @pagexrage.

Thank you for joining the thread!  

I'd be happy to add you and the others to this feature request, so that it can help our Development Team prioritize new features for our platform. However, as feature requests often involve significant changes/updates to the platform, this isn't something that I can provide a time expectancy on when it will be available. That being said, if Shopify moves forward with this feature, you'll be able to find it on our changelog and announcements page. 

I'm open to any other feedback that you may have about this. Thanks again!

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

EdSe
Visitor
1 0 9

Hi Elias,

The reply is quite polite, but not quite helpful. Customers purchasing little trinkets online are being repellent by shipping prices. Not everyone has a luxury business online selling products for 1000 bucks per ounce so shipping costs will be an insignificant part of the total amount.

Shopify shipping calculation by weight (part of any basic plan) has standard "sample box" sent for "meagre" 14.20CAD in Canada. Adding Canada post small business app into shop chop the cost to 8.40CAD and became really weight-sensible (good). But the price is still based on BOX even if default package set to be soft envelope. At the same time there are no any limitations to create exact package via Canada post small business account directly and pay 2.40CAD instead of 8.40CAD though I can't bill the Customer for the right price in my store. Surely store visitors will not complete the purchase if shipping price is twice bigger than purchased products. and will abandon their carts.

This thread is hanging active since 2019. Is the solution THAT difficult for Shopify devs team so they can't resolve it for two years now?

Elies_Bows
Visitor
2 0 3

I am also looking for this solution and i am surprised that since 2019 this STILL has not been added to shopify.... Is there any progress on this?

Pictoria
Visitor
1 0 3

If Shopify gets a cut of all the charges that pass through Shopify Shipping, then that might explain why Canada Post Lettermail has not been set up in Shopify Shipping:  Someone in management just thinks the returns from the vigorish on the shipping charges don't justify the money spent on development.  I wonder just how many potential Shopify storeowners are being turned away because of this.  I am one for sure, if I can not find a solution.  We are looking into doing what we did 30 years ago, renting a postal meter, if that is still a thing. 

pagexrage
Excursionist
12 0 6

Hi Shopify team  -  any updates on this - looks like many people are struggling with the same issue here

Jestami
Tourist
4 0 7

Posted in 2019 and still not added? This is quite stressful for those of us who only require letter mail rates with canada post. Surely you guys can see why charging people $10+ to ship them a sticker is quite ridiculous.   

shopcami
Explorer
49 0 18

I will also like Shopify to add discounted lettermail rates and an option to print lettermail customer labels.

pagexrage
Excursionist
12 0 6

Hi Elias, any word on this?? Let us know if it would be helpful to start collecting signatures XD

Frekkle
Excursionist
14 0 4

Hello,

I am commenting on this thread because I'm hoping someone will reply!
I am too looking for a solution to this issue.  I am wondering, if the reason that we cannot create a printed shipping label for Letter Mail is simply because letter mail is stamps?  That is the only logical explanation I have been able to find.  Because it's letter mail, there is no shipping label?  I was looking for solutions for this mostly out of wanting to have my package look more professional.  If anyone figures out a way to print a shipping label with only paying Letter Mail rate, please reply!

Thank you!!!

HobbyChampion
Tourist
3 0 0

More than 4 years to get this resolved.  This feature is ABSOLUTELY essential.  Any news please ? MANY THANKS !

N.B. I would have liked to know about this problem before because I definitely would not have used the Shopify solution.

Anindo
Shopify Partner
555 1 27

As per my knowledge, if you are using Lettermail rates, then printing labels with this is not possible with Canada Post. You would require to use a standard service for label generation. You can try a few options. First adjust the cost of the Service that would be using for shipping in product price. If the difference is huge, then you spread this adjustment based on Zones, product type, collection and then charge Lettermail shipping rates at checkout with the Multi Carrier Shipping label app. This should give you relief to some extent right?

Product Owner @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping

DB9
Tourist
3 0 3

mm1989, did you ever find a solution to print labels for lettermail shipping? I'm looking for a similar setup.

smallbooks
Visitor
2 0 2

I'm also looking for this exact solution, any updates?

LOLACOCO
Visitor
1 0 2

I am in the same position right now. Has there been an update?

gingerbrooks
Visitor
1 0 1

Following. Also in the same boat.

teresaagyemang
Visitor
1 0 1

Me as well 

Gariep
Excursionist
29 0 9

looking for same feature

tmarentette
Visitor
1 0 1

I am also having this problem!

thewitch-nextdo
Excursionist
12 0 5

This needs to be added asap!

RJInc
Visitor
1 0 0

We are also in the same boat!  Hoping for a solution soon.

naturallysask
6 0 0

Wondering if theres a solution for this, I can't sell a product for $15 and ship for $15 (parcel rate), when it can be shipped via Oversized Mail for $3-5