How to handle unexpected yearly fees on new ecommerce platforms?

Lazzoceramico
Visitor
2 0 0

I’m new to Shopify and I’m still building my store. I made the classic mistake of not being on top of my billing date and was not prepared to be charged a yearly fee when I was. My fault but I’ve done this before and it’s always been a quick and easy fix to change to monthly billing. Not on Shopify. I’m astounded by their incredibly poor customer service. I spoke with someone (a bot?!) on chat two days ago and they told me billing would contact me after reviewing my account. No word. No response from my friend in the chat after I reached out to him twice. I know I’m not a “premium member” and so I don’t deserve to talk to anyone on the phone but come on! You’re a huge company. This is what drives people crazy. Just speaking into a void and feeling like nothing will be resolved. I’m trying to figure out if I deactivate my shop will I be refunded because I don’t know if I want to have my store hosted by a company with such terrible customer service. Figured I post something here to see if a Shopify person would acknowledge me. I see others have posted similar critiques and wanted to add my experience to the mix. 

Replies 2 (2)

PageFly-Theodor
Globetrotter
595 78 90

Hi @Lazzoceramico ,
This is Theodore from PageFly - Shopify Page Builder App.

You accidentally signed up for Shopify's annual plan instead of monthly. While directly changing plans isn't possible through the admin panel, you can contact Shopify support again and explain your situation. Request to switch to monthly billing or get a prorated refund for the remaining months. Deactivating your store stops future charges but likely won't result in a refund. Be clear, concise, and polite when contacting support.

Best regards,
Theodore | PageFly

Please let me know if it works by giving it a Like or marking it as a solution!

PageFly - #1 Page Builder for Shopify merchants.

All features are available from Free plan. Live Chat Support is available 24/7.

Lazzoceramico
Visitor
2 0 0
Thanks Theodore. I know what my mistake was. I had to restate my desire to change to monthly billing three times to the person on chat. I’m still waiting for an answer. I’ll definitely reach out again but the main issue I and it seems like so many people have is how support is set up. It’s frustrating, poorly run, and you truly don’t feel like anything will be resolved. I understand that setting up call centers can be challenging in 2024 but like I said in my first post I’ve never experienced customer service as inefficient and impersonal as Shopify and I know I’m not alone in this.