FROM CACHE - en_header

Inventory management on manual orders

Janna_Netland_L
Tourist
7 0 23

When I make a manual order, I want the inventory to be deducted before the order is paid. Is there any way to do that? I thought maybe it would get deducted if I marked it as pending, but mark as pending is not an option for me, for some reason. Any idea why?

Thanks.

Replies 35 (35)
Elle_old
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
272 1 32

Hey, Janna!

Stephanie here from Shopify.

You can reserve the items before the order is paid. The option to reserve the items is within the draft order.

It looks like this:

As long as you reserve the items, the inventory will be held 🙂

Hope this helps! Here is our doc on draft orders for your reference: Click here.

If you have any other questions, just let me know! Our support is also available 24/7 🙂

Cheers!

Stephanie | Shopify Support
Janna_Netland_L
Tourist
7 0 23

I've tried that, but it doesn't change my inventory numbers. Shouldn't it?

Janna_Netland_L
Tourist
7 0 23

Okay, I see that in the "draft orders" documentation you sent it says that reserving items won't change your inventory numbers.

I did a test with a product whose inventory is being tracked by shopify. I have a total of 45 items. I made an order for 40 items. I set the order to "reserve" the items. Then I went back and made a second order, and reserved 30 more of the items.

So, if reserving items doesn't change my inventory numbers, and it doesn't prevent me from making orders for those items, and there are no notes on the inventory page telling me that some of these items are reserved, what good is reserving items??

Queenie_Prentic
1 0 6

Please Shopify..... I have the same issue! No point reserving an item if I can't see the change in my inventory. Help! Thanks

Katie_Hart
2 0 6

I'm having the same problem. First, I would think that a draft order would automatically reserve the items and change my inventory levels, but it does not. I have wholesale customers who place draft orders so I can manually calculate and add shipping before they make payment. If inventory is low, I don't want another customer to be able to order those same items that are no longer available even though payment has not been processed yet. Second, since draft orders don't automatically update my inventory, I have tried manually reserving them. But when I test it by reserving items in a draft order (for example 4 if there are only 4 left in inventory), and then try to place another draft order for those same items (the 4 that have been reserved), I am still able to submit that order. This is very confusing and frustrating! I'd prefer that draft orders automatically reserve items because I may not be able to manually do it immediately after a customer places an order. But if that is not possible, reserving the items should at least WORK! What is the point of reserving items if inventory doesn't change????

Philip_Dexter
Shopify Partner
9 0 23

This comes down to a big flaw in Shopify's logic: Draft orders pay no attention to the 'Allow customers to purchase this product when it's out of stock' setting. Please shopify, allow us to choose whether draft orders follow storefront rules or not. A simple yes/no setting would work.

Erin_Houston
2 0 4

Adding fuel to this discussion: this doesn't change the inventory count so customers can still buy the items that are reserved. Could you please update us on when Shopify plans to fix this error? 

Isaiah_Vasquez
Tourist
7 0 2

Has anyone come up with a solution to this for inventory management purposes?  This is definitely something that I need to find a work around on.  Any help would be great!

Jon_Tang
2 0 1

Yes! I am making draft orders for customer who will pay later. I'm reserving items for them. Some are the last of the stock. After saving draft, the reserve items are still in stock. How can I get it to pull these off the site? 

Isaiah_Vasquez
Tourist
7 0 2

So this is my update of what i have decided to do.  I have customers that are on Net Terms.  The frustrating part was not having my inventory deducted from properly after a Draft Order was made.  I had been using an app called Wholesaler by Supple Apps and that still did not help much in this area.  Reserving items did not pull from inventory either, so i decided to split my store into two stores, one for B2C customers and another for Wholesaler Customers.  I'm continuing to us the Wholesler App by Supple Apps on the Wholesale store but only to allow Wholesalers to log in the Wholesale site and for my Net Term customers to place their orders.    

I have come to the conclusion that the only way to have my inventory pulled from properly after a draft order has been made is to mark it as Payment Pending, fulfill the order as normal, and process any credit card payments outside of Shopify Payments.  It looks like I will be using Paypal to process these payment in the meantime until I find a better option for payment processing.   

By doing it this way the Draft Orders become orders and you don't have to worry about your inventory count being off since only Orders will pull from your Inventory after being marked fulfilled.    

MarcoM
Excursionist
16 0 10

The RESERVE ITEMS works just fine!
Note that as stated in Shopify manual (https://help.shopify.com/manual/orders/create-orders?utm_medium=Forum&utm_campaign=Guru+Ask&utm_sour...) the available quantities are NOT changed on the front end, BUT when the item is added to the cart in an amount over the reserved limit it does not allow the purchase.

ALSO please note that in order to work:

- The Item inventory MUST be tracked by Shopify, and
- The item MUST NOT be set to "Allow customers to purchase this product when it's out of stock".

freundschaft
Shopify Partner
4 0 2

nonetheless there is an issue with draft orders, since they can create negative inventory on a product that isnt supposed to have negative inventory.

e.g. a product variant has 0 stock, but then a draft order is marked as fulfilled with 10 units ofthis product variant.

The resulting stock on the product variant will then be -10, even though the policy on that variant is that it should stop selling after running out of stock

JB6
Excursionist
14 0 17

I am still struggling with this and it seems enough others are, too. I encourage shopify to allow a "reserved item" to actually change the inventory number. 

Ben_Lowe
Tourist
4 0 3

I seem to still be struggling with this issue of reserving items. Could someone from Shopify please clarify what is meant to happen when items are reserved on a draft order? I would assume this would temporarily downtrend the stock levels of those items until the reserved date is reached, when it would put them back into stock, unless the order has been paid for and moved from drafts to orders?

Renee_O_Neill1
Tourist
6 0 3

It still doesn't work. My stock is tracked by Shopify and most of my items cannot be ordered when out of stock, but still, when I send someone a draft order, the "reserved items" are still in my inventory AND still available for purchase! Shopify, do you have anything to say about this?

L__Rivera
Tourist
7 0 23

It does work and I was confused too but you have to go all the way through the purchase process to see that it won't let you purchase it. It isn't until you reach the payment page that it then says "Some Items Became Unavailable". It just looks like they are available (which would suck for the customer who thinks they are going to get some goodies and don't find out until they reach the payment page that they are unavailable). It would be nice if Shopify would make the items show as "Out of Stock" for Reserved Items instead of allowing the items to be added to the cart, only to be taken out on the payment page.

dfsc10
Tourist
6 0 2

Bumping this up in July of 2019. 

umiajhu
Tourist
9 0 18

Bumping this in August 2019. It seems as this thread (and multiple others) have been going on for years with no response from Shopify...

dfsc10
Tourist
6 0 2

I got a response directly from them.

Why they aren't tackling this is beyond me, but in short, when you do manual orders, like a "Draft" order that holds inventory, it DOES remove from your inventory, but it isn't reflected on the front end of the site. Which is problematic.

So, theoretically, someone could go through the add to cart, purchase/payment, but once they get to the cart, it will say that there is an error and the item isn't available.

It is not good from a customer service standpoint as it's confusing as a buyer because you "see" it is available but you try and purchase and it says it is not.

Shopify needs to change this so that it's reflected across the inventory on the site for front end guests. But, you can at least feel secure knowing that it's not going to "double sell" items that you have held for manual orders.