FROM CACHE - en_header

Is it possible to start blogging and waiting to launch the online store?

Sara36
1 0 0

Hi everyone,

I'm still in product development, but would like to starte blogging for 3 months before I launch the online store.

Is it possible to hide the store page and only have the front page and blog posts visible for visitors until then?

Best, Sara

Replies 4 (4)
TORNEH
2 0 0

I have the same question. Can anyone please answer? Has anyone done this before? 

Sophia
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1183 81 140

Hi! Sophia here from Shopify.

You can definitely start blogging and keep the store hidden until you're ready to launch. This is a great way to start building SEO and an audience, or let an existing audience know to keep an eye out for your upcoming online store. You can also collect email addresses during this time if you'll be sending out a newsletter or promotions via email.

After your 14-day free trial ends, you can move to an active plan to keep working on the store. Depending on how long you'll be blogging before launch, you can move to the Pause and Build plan to operate at a reduced cost. The future publishing tool will help you create products and collections to get them ready for launch while keeping them hidden from the online store. Publishing products and collections can also be done manually if you don't have a specific launch date in mind yet.

I recommend setting up your store navigation ahead of time, too. You can build the store's future menu in the admin while a menu for just the home page and blog is visible on the store. Then you are ready to launch the store, you can simply switch the menu to one that includes the collections and other pages for the store.

Let me know if you have any questions about setting this up! I'm happy to help.

Sophia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

TORNEH
2 0 0

Thanks for the response Sophia, I've had my store activated for the past two months; however, I don't have Pause and Build plan option! So, I did downgrade my plan and removed my store with the hope that I will be able to continue blogging prior to my product launch. However, apparently Blog option was under Online Store and I don't have access to it any more. Am I missing anything here or has Shopify made any update in the process you explained?  

Sophia
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1183 81 140

You're correct—the Blog lives on the Online Store sales channel, meaning you'll need to be on the Basic Shopify plan or higher in order to maintain a blog. The Pause and Build plan will also include the blog, but it is available 60 days beyond the trial period. Essentially it will appear as an option once your store has been open for 74 days total including the 14-day trial.

If your store has been open for at least 60 days beyond the trial period and the Pause and Build plan still doesn't appear, please get in touch with our team via live chat, email, or callback so we can take a look at the account with you and get that sorted out.

Sophia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog