Is my recent online purchase a scam or a server error?

lover061206
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi, I have some decent experiences with shopify but this time it feels off. A few days ago I ordered some items off of duh.Store which was a store that used shopify to create the shop, I ordered items off of it but now that I check it it has been removed or currently unavailable. I just want to know if this is a server side error or did the shop get taken down. Would also be great to know if the store was indeed a scam is there a way for me to get the money back? 

Replies 4 (4)

jefflhlow
Shopify Partner
18 1 4

Hi @lover061206 , If the store is a scam or not, it had nothing to do with Shopify but more of the store owner. Fraud on Shopify certainly isn't a rare problem, as there are consumers getting scammed by these fake stores. The great thing about having Shopify platform is that your transaction details is safe from these scammer as minimal information is shared to the store owner. Also you can report these scammer to Shopify and they will take it down for you after investigation.

Report a scam or violation: https://www.shopify.com/legal/report-aup-violation

lover061206
Visitor
2 0 0

I know that shopify is a legit and trustworthy site but what are the reasons that shops usually get taken down? The store that I ordered from is currently down and I'm just wondering if that is a common thing. I just checked but the site is now permanently gone instead of just temporarily.

jefflhlow
Shopify Partner
18 1 4

Hi @lover061206 ,

If it taken down means Shopify team had receive the complaint and taken action against the store owner or perhaps the owner felt that the scam had successful met his objective and shut it down. 

Scam is something we can't predict, just like banks! They allow anyone with identification to open a bank account even a legit fake ones. Once the scammer had complete their purpose, they will keep on creating new accounts and move on to next target. As a consumer, we need to trust that this store is genuine and they able to deliver their promises. If all failed, a police report would do justice.

KissOfKarma
Visitor
1 0 0

To further understand your response and my duties and responsibilities as a consumer of a shopify store.  Shopify, if I am not mistaken, does not perform due diligence or screening of store owners who establish and set-up a shopify store.  Next, as a consumer when dealing with a shopify store owner I would need to establish the store owner's reputation, legitimacy, essentially perform my own due diligence if an item is price as too good to be true.