John Smith From Google - UTM Google Shopper - Creating false abandoned carts

ingramleedy
3 0 12

I am using Google Shopper to push our products from Shopify store into Google Shopper.  Google Shopper seems to have a bot that constantly crawls our products, adds an item to a cart, goes to check out and creates an account variant of "John Smith" - johnsmith+1222@gmail.com or some other number.    

Shopify doesn't track user-agent or IP address for abandoned orders. So I installed 3rd part apps to discover and found the IP addresses all belong to the Google IP allocation.  

It's frustrating as this is creating many abandoned carts which throw off the statistics and analytics for the site, creating accounts, kicks off automation scripts, etc, etc, etc.  

Does anyone else have this issue?   

-Ingram

Replies 101 (101)
Michele_Carr
Excursionist
22 0 5

How do you know that this is that case? I talked to Google Shopping and they denied this practice.

Garry46
Tourist
8 0 5

aga

@Michele_Carr wrote:

How do you know that this is that case? I talked to Google Shopping and they denied this practice.

yeah and i've already found correlations with a scam airline service.

not saying were getting abandoned carts from a scam airline service, but this bot used the same fake picture and name. 

Kyle_Russell1
Tourist
3 0 1

Our 'John Smiths' seems to come and go in waves. We won't have anything for a few days and then we'll get hit like this, this was all on Monday:

John_Smith.jpg

So apparently Google has denied that this is their Shopping bots causing this?

Garry46
Tourist
8 0 5

I think it's our competitors monitoring our pricing.

Here's a service they might be using to do it:
https://www.pricingbot.co/

Garry46
Tourist
8 0 5

Found a great resource for our bot issue!
We could be looking at OAT-021 Denial of Inventory or OAT-011 Scraping

Found a bunch of articles like this that give little dummy guides to these kinds of issues because they are selling a solution. but i like this one because of this part:

"Threat actors try their best to disguise their bad scraping bots as good ones, such as the ubiquitous Googlebots. DataDome identifies over 1 million hits per day from fake Googlebots on all customer websites."

guy12
Shopify Expert
10 0 4

Hey just wondering if you found any evidence that it was actually pricingbot causing this. That's super sketchy if so, because they also have a Shopify app. Really annoying and Shopify support wasn't much help.

Garry46
Tourist
8 0 5

I don't have much evidence for any specific bot that's doing it. I have a feeling its not pricingbot speicifically, but something less legitimate.

you should also know that from doing some searching around I've noticed that this is not a shopify-specific issue:

https://support.bigcommerce.com/s/question/0D54O00006F86egSAB/false-abandoned-carts-from-bot
https://wordpress.org/support/topic/spam-carts/

Garry46
Tourist
8 0 5

https://benbernardblog.com/web-scraping-and-crawling-are-perfectly-legal-right/

great article

Also a nice little facty image (important to make note that it was made by a company promoting their services):
eCommerce-Cart-Abandonment-by-bots.png

here's a screenshot from freelancer.com looking for someone to make a program like this:

frreee (1).jpg

ORi2
1 0 0

sHi Guys 

Any solution for this "John Smith" ?????

DHDLLC
2 0 0
I believe it is a way they are using to look through our stores to ensure everything reads and looks according to what they are comfortable advertising. There is no other way to ensure that the information is correct other than our website. You can’t get to the policy in some stores without making it to check out and registering as a customer.

It is super annoying and can throw your conversion off as they sometimes check multiple times in a day making it appear as if you have more traffic then you may. There should be a way to block it and I’m confident Shopify knows how. But ruffling the feathers of their partnership with Google is more important to them then the conversion of the customers who help them make the money they pay Google. So if you get a hold of the ip, block those as they come in.
DHDLLC
2 0 0
Whoa!

Okay, so share what you think the goal is here. Trolling other emails? Trying to mimic our sites to create others hoping people accidentally click on it and input their information?! My mind is reeling now.
Unboxllc1
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

It's Google.  I am trying to find out why they're doing it.   

Address1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy
Mountain View CA 94043-1351 
   Address Verified (AS01) No mail delivery (AS17)
Property InformationOwner: Google Inc
MAK (Melissa Address Key)2631048415      Personator Search by MAK
Lat. & Long.37.422035 -122.084345 Geocoded to Rooftop Level (GS05)
Address TypeBusiness
Postal Carrier RouteC909      (DPC: 00-0 )      Map
Suzanne88
2 0 0

Have hundreds upon hundred of these. Goes to mail chimp as well. Happening right now as I can see on live view someone in Mountainview CA on site. Anything I can do to stop this?

Michele_Carr
Excursionist
22 0 5
We have not been able to find a way to stop it...
Ecomedge1
1 0 0
Picasette
3 0 0

any updates? I wonder if we are all in similar industries...

There must be a reasoning behind this and I'm sure it's not good for us somehow.

Picasette
3 0 0
DaveBC
4 0 0

I don't really care about the abandoned cart statistics, but we are getting a flood of bounced abandoned cart emails every day.  

Everest
2 0 0

This was our first thought as well, but can you verify this info?

I'd like to block the user, but only if it will not interfere with Google verifying our products. 

ProQSmokers
1 0 0

Still having issues with this - any solution yet?