Solved

Can you merge duplicate customer accounts on Shopify?

makers18
Excursionist
21 0 214

Has there been any updates or progress on the ability to MERGE CUSTOMER ACCOUNTS that are duplicates?  We have a ton and we basically began online sales in early March.  This is really needed to keep up with past orders and preferences.  We also offer rewards for our repeat customers and this system has really made tracking sales difficult.  

Accepted Solution (1)

ekeshen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
12 8 10

This is an accepted solution.

You can now merge customer profiles. Thanks to your advocacy and feedback - you can merge customer profiles to ensure you have the most accurate view of your customers.

Identify duplicated customer profiles with the same name, phone number, email address, or another overlapping attribute then merge customers to make sure you maintain quality customer data.

To merge customer profiles:

1. Search for a duplicate customer in the Customers page of your Shopify admin
  2. Click on the customer’s name and review their customer profile data to identify what data needs to be kept or removed. 
  3. Click into one of the duplicate profiles 
  4. On the bottom right of the profile you will see a heading called, Customer Data
  5. Click the button in that section that says Merge customer
  6. Search for the customer profile you intend to merge. 
  7. Complete the merge steps. 

Keep in mind, not every customer profile can be merged. There are some limitations for merging profiles that you can review in the Shopify Help Center.

We know this has taken time, and we appreciate your patience. We are excited to be launching this improvement for you today and look forward to hearing your feedback so we can keep improving your experience maintaining customer data in Shopify.  

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 415 (415)
MichelPlante
Excursionist
12 0 40

It always amaze me how some people/companies are wasting so much time on workarounds instead of adressing the real problem with a real solution ... Damn!

Edit ; You guys at Shopify should give a loook at how Klaviyo and Gorgias are handling this duplicates merge. Looks like very easy... And if a person have 3 clinets acounts, you can merge 2 into 1, then 3 in the 'newly merged 1+2' => 1. At the end you end  up with 1,2 and 3 all merged together in 1

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6274 573 1319

@MichelPlante wrote:

Edit ; You guys at Shopify should give a loook at how Klaviyo and Gorgias are handling this duplicates merge.

Bad apples to oranges comparison, those are just marketing companies.

They are not international ecommerce companies integrating with a massive array of payment gateways, bank networks , monetary apis , and an even wider array of merchant facing ecommerce features that would break if not done slowly and properly. 

Save time & money ,Ask Questions The Smart Way

Confused? Busy? Get the solution you need paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com

Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org

Will_Cervarich
Excursionist
23 0 31

Thanks, @Shay. I hope you'll pass along the frustration from myself and many others in this thread. I'm still holding out hope that once the credit card thing is resolved we'll get some use out of this, but as it stands now, we weren't able to merge any of the customers we tried merging today for various reasons. This issue should not be marked solved and I hope it will stay on some team's roadmap to continue iterating and address as many of these roadblocks as possible, hopefully all of them.

makers18
Excursionist
21 0 214

I am sorry, but this doesn't seem to make sense at all, nor does it provide any type of solution.  As you can see from the 400+ comments, many people are in need of this feature and we would like to be able to consolidate and organize customers.  This seems so basic, yet Shopify refuses to listen.  

scom
Excursionist
39 0 46

Once again I find myself on a thread regarding a basic feature that the Shopify developers in their infinite wisdom have decided not to implement. 

Seriously? we need a plugin to merge duplicate accounts, come on, fix this ASAP!

scom
Excursionist
39 0 46

Hold on, i just noticed this .... 

20221021114829.jpg

AlexanderKunz
Tourist
9 0 20

Hello Scom.  Have you tried disabling the account and then merging it?  Just curious if anyone has.

SCTrading
Tourist
6 0 10
The account is disabled - but we didn't do it. Apparently the customer did
it from her end. Still won't merge.
scom
Excursionist
39 0 46

@AlexanderKunz not tried that but why diable the account? I have been using it on active accounts without any issue

TCS1
Visitor
1 0 2

Does anyone know why the button for Merge Customer Profiles now exists but if the customer already has a profile, you can't merge? Any way around this?

TCS1_0-1666546899004.png

bongfooodie
Excursionist
21 0 10

Though they have a "Merge Customer" option activated under the profiles however they are inactive if the customer already has an account. I think they still need to fine tune it. The whole concept of merging two account is to avoid duplicate accounts and make reporting clean.

However, appreciate the steps taken by the team to make some advancement.

bongfooodie
SCTrading
Tourist
6 0 10

Same here. I have a client who entered a work address account, and wants it merged with her main account. Click on merge account, and it can't do it because client "has a customer account and can't be merged." Well, that's the whole point. 

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6274 573 1319

@bongfooodie wrote:

Though they have a "Merge Customer" option activated under the profiles however they are inactive if the customer already has an account. I think they still need to fine tune it. The whole concept of merging two account is to avoid duplicate accounts and make reporting clean.

@SCTrading wrote:

Click on merge account, and it can't do it because client "has a customer account and can't be merged." Well, that's the whole point. 

Yes, It seems part of the initial problem here is the verbiage around all this makes for a confusing feature in the UI and confusing discussion. customer as a synonym for customer-account.

"Merge two customers"  is leaving out a ton of qualifiers and gotcha's:

Shays list of hardblocker gotchas https://community.shopify.com/c/shopify-discussions/merge-customers/m-p/1772210/highlight/true#M3178... 

🤔 Is "Merge two accountless customers" more accurate for mergeable customer profiles? 

And as @TCS1 screenshot shows even the error messaging seems contradictory it says someone has a "customer account" which is like well duh obviously they have a customer account that's what this whole merge feature is about:  multiple "customer accounts" that need to be merged.

Save time & money ,Ask Questions The Smart Way

Confused? Busy? Get the solution you need paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com

Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org

chubbell
Excursionist
12 0 11
Perhaps they need to not associate account with account number and just name that comes up on the card- bc account numbers changes all of the time and each customer doesn’t pay eith the same card all of the time!

ekeshen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
12 8 10

This is an accepted solution.

You can now merge customer profiles. Thanks to your advocacy and feedback - you can merge customer profiles to ensure you have the most accurate view of your customers.

Identify duplicated customer profiles with the same name, phone number, email address, or another overlapping attribute then merge customers to make sure you maintain quality customer data.

To merge customer profiles:

1. Search for a duplicate customer in the Customers page of your Shopify admin
  2. Click on the customer’s name and review their customer profile data to identify what data needs to be kept or removed. 
  3. Click into one of the duplicate profiles 
  4. On the bottom right of the profile you will see a heading called, Customer Data
  5. Click the button in that section that says Merge customer
  6. Search for the customer profile you intend to merge. 
  7. Complete the merge steps. 

Keep in mind, not every customer profile can be merged. There are some limitations for merging profiles that you can review in the Shopify Help Center.

We know this has taken time, and we appreciate your patience. We are excited to be launching this improvement for you today and look forward to hearing your feedback so we can keep improving your experience maintaining customer data in Shopify.  

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Shopify
Shopify Staff
185 4 207

To help ensure feedback on the new Merge customers feature isn't missed we've created a single feedback topic, and locked this particular topic.

If you have any feedback to share please post a detailed message in this topic: Merge Customers - Feedback And Questions

Thanks!

Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

- To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog