FROM CACHE - en_header

Merge Customers

makers18
Excursionist
20 0 198

Has there been any updates or progress on the ability to MERGE CUSTOMER ACCOUNTS that are duplicates?  We have a ton and we basically began online sales in early March.  This is really needed to keep up with past orders and preferences.  We also offer rewards for our repeat customers and this system has really made tracking sales difficult.  

Replies 351 (351)
jeffbryght
1 0 2

Adding our voice to this too.  This is desperately needed as it significantly impacts our customer experience and is a huge burden on our customer support efforts.

tkshajanes
1 0 2

This is still needed BADLY!!!  Please help get this fixed, it seems so simple.

FionaDillon
1 0 1

Are there any updates from Shopify on this?

This happens for us when a customer updates or changes their email address. They email us asking us to update their account email address but both emails (old and new) have orders placed on them so we can't merge the accounts. 

We can merge profiles/email addresses on Klaviyo, it would be so helpful and great for customers if we could do this on Shopify too - it's really frustrating for customers. 

evanhill
Tourist
3 0 1

No brainer value add for all Shopify customers. I don't see any downside or complications from adding the feature. It's a pain point that needs fixing 

Paul_vd_Dool
Shopify Partner
85 6 75

Shopify is busy on a solution.

A few weeks ago I got asked if I would like to join a beta program for the "Customer Profile Merge" feature. I still have to get more info though.

It's coming.

Doppelganger - Managing duplicate user accounts
CDRess
Excursionist
16 0 19
That sounds promising!
BrandyFS
Tourist
3 0 2

Thank goodness. I have yet another customer asking me to help them merge their logins. I hope it comes soon!

CandiGraves13
1 0 0

Replying as this is a needed service for our company as well.  I'm unsure how it's happening.  It's possible customers forget their email login and simply create a new account, sometimes they forget to login to complete their purchases.  This feature is needed.

Steven_Holowien
Tourist
3 0 1

I vote for needing a merge function as well.  Desperately needed indeed.

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
4219 304 902

If you look around at the recent releases notice there is now going to be B2B customer accounts and all that implies,  so yeah there is movement just no timelines or public details.

So merchants should still pursue solutions that are available now that fit their situation.

Finally Combinable Discounts - EARLY ACCESS ONLY - Use Free Shipping With Other Discounts

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org
Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com
denisezucco
1 0 1

How has this still not happened?  This thread started in 2020.  That is 2 years ago and there have been over 25K views of this issue.

MudandHoneyCF
Excursionist
16 0 29

Exactly!! Two years of asking for a simple feature!!

kristasands
2 0 0

Hi Rae,

Any updates on merging customers in Shopify?  From our end it looks like our customers have created multiple log ins and not purchasing in person. 

Thanks, Krista

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
4219 304 902

This thread started in 2020.  That is 2 years ago and 

Yup, issues older than that this is just the biggest collection.

there have been over 25K views of this issue.

For perspective about features remember shopify is hosts millions of stores.

25k "views" is not a petition , it's barely a blip .

Always make direct feature requests to shopify support, then loudly and clearly let other merchants know you have and that they should too.

Finally Combinable Discounts - EARLY ACCESS ONLY - Use Free Shipping With Other Discounts

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org
Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com
JAYTAY
Tourist
6 0 10

Ok "genius"....as if it that hasn't been done already...by many of us.  

LeFoCo
Tourist
7 0 5

"So merchants should still pursue solutions that are available now that fit their situation."

Please, let us know what is now available to do this.

LeFoCo
Tourist
7 0 5

Paul,  

That's awesome!  If you have a mailing list for when your Doppelganger upcoming features are released, please add me to it.

~Steve

RequiemSalvage
1 0 0

18 months later and still no way to merge customers. PLEASE help get this on the dev list. I’m judging from your questions about it to previous user, it isn’t on the list. How does a duplicate get made? Shopify makes the duplicate if a returning customer without an account makes a modification to their information on the shopping cart. Super annoying as we push shopping cart links (draft orders prepopulated with customer’s previous information) to customers all the time and there are 3/4/5/6 versions of them all with one order so you can’t delete. Only workaround I see is forcing the customer to make an account which we view as an obnoxious additional step. 

Paul_vd_Dool
Shopify Partner
85 6 75

Hi @RequiemSalvage,

Perhaps you could look into moving orders from one account to another.
If you're on an order detail page, near the customer name there is a three-dot icon. Clicking this will give you the option to "Remove customer". After doing that, the customer name will change into an input box where you can search for the account you want to move that order to.

As I said earlier in this thread, Shopify is working on it but this is not something you want to do half-assed as there are a lot of dependencies you need to take into account.

And sorry for the shameless plug, but I've built an app with which I aim to help deal with duplicate accounts.

Recently, I added a feature that automates the steps of changing the customer on an order as much as possible. Shopify doesn't give me enough access to automate all of it just yet so there is still some manual work.

I'm currently working on updates to the app that will make it easier to find and keep track of duplicate accounts.

Check it out if you want, it's called Doppelganger and comes with a 7 day free trial so you can try it out.

Doppelganger - Managing duplicate user accounts
evanhill
Tourist
3 0 1

And herein lies the problem and why we will be waiting ... The game of gaps being filled by Developer apps