Merge Customers

makers18
Excursionist
17 0 124

Has there been any updates or progress on the ability to MERGE CUSTOMER ACCOUNTS that are duplicates?  We have a ton and we basically began online sales in early March.  This is really needed to keep up with past orders and preferences.  We also offer rewards for our repeat customers and this system has really made tracking sales difficult.  

Replies 244 (244)
Kevin_Hartman
Excursionist
15 0 33

That could be true.  But why would they not let us know this?  At least it would settle it.    But they could also put a disclaimer popup when we do merge customers that would hold us responsible, and I am willing to take on that responsibility. 

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
3811 273 780

@Paul_vd_Dool wrote:

you can't actually reproduce an order to the letter. It will get a different order id and an order date of the time you're creating it. So an order that was actually made last year will now register as if been made recently.

that messes with metrics and might force you to get really creative with your bookkeeping since revenue from last year will now show as revenue from this year.

Old way was nixed in ~2017

https://community.shopify.com/c/api-announcements/upcoming-changes-to-the-quot-created-at-quot-value... 

So in a way ,when the default properties aren't reliable after a merge , a current blocker for app/workarounds acceptance is an inability to supplant other properties, like metafields, to get back accurate reporting.

It would still be kludge with created_at not being backdate able, but maybe shows a fundamental feature request sidestepping the core issues that could have more chance to be made than account-merging.

What I mean by using other properties as an alias of another property i.e. created_at swapped for processed_at , order.metafields.account_merge.created_at, etc etc in places like reports/analytics. Like an admin setting

Note properties like processed_at are not exposed in places like liquid for themes or notifications so yet another alias is needed. More kludge.

New Feature - Metafield Definitions now available on Orders, Collections and Customers
Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a ☕ Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org
Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com
PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
3811 273 780

@ all, In case you missed it there is a older sister thread, thatcurrently has some very good shopify replies with info and a bit of internal insight as to why this is such a hard problem that will take time: 

Shopify-Gabe: Yes, this feature request goes back to even before 2015 unfortunately, and we currently have a few request tickets in our developer backlog. Good News: The collective status is now "in planning"

https://community.shopify.com/c/shopify-discussions/merge-two-customer-accounts-into-one/m-p/1330405... 

New Feature - Metafield Definitions now available on Orders, Collections and Customers
Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a ☕ Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org
Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com
Kim-and-Isa
1 0 0

Yes same issue with us.. very frustrating.  There should be a way that when they create an account with the same email address shopify recognises it and merges automatically with account being created.. 

Fogo_Andrew
1 0 0

Would love to see this ability. Super common with work vs personal email addresses or nicknames ending in multiple accounts.

-Andrew

Steven_Forrest
1 0 2

@Rae After some searching, it seems that people have been asking for this since 2016. It's almost 2022. Any plans to make this a reality? I have a customer that had a typo in their email address when they placed their order and it would be great to combine the two accounts so all their orders are in one place.

yumshi
1 0 2

I’ve just had the exact same problem. A customer ordered with an email address. Then ordered again with the same email but with a typo. They didn’t receive confirmation so contacted us. Now I can’t change the email as they are now two different customers on the system.

CDRess
Excursionist
13 0 18
I also have multiple customers when the new person uses different methods
of payment. They don't understand why they have to give me their email
address or phone with EVERY transaction because isn't in the system when
they pay with a new credit card, or use a different email. Not a good
customer experience. Not to mention that they also get multiple marketing
emails that way *and if you're paying per email, it's costing business
owners to send duplicates, too.

It's impossible to see true customer data with multiple "accounts".

All very frustrating.
Rich_Hamilton
Excursionist
21 0 101

Multiple times - every single week - I get emails from customers with duplicate accounts, that I currently have no way of helping with a lasting change due to the Shopify limitations. All I can do is manually hunt down orders and send them links, which costs me in labor and takes away from other work I need to be doing. Reflects very poorly on the Shopify platform.

bongfooodie
Excursionist
14 0 5

Sometimes customers create account with an email address and sometimes with mobile numbers. A merge feature would help us to lookback into order details of such customers. Alternatively block users to create an account if their contact information is already in the system.