FROM CACHE - en_header

Merge Customers

makers18
Excursionist
20 0 212

Has there been any updates or progress on the ability to MERGE CUSTOMER ACCOUNTS that are duplicates?  We have a ton and we basically began online sales in early March.  This is really needed to keep up with past orders and preferences.  We also offer rewards for our repeat customers and this system has really made tracking sales difficult.  

Replies 379 (379)
ilupo
1 0 1

Yes this would be extremely useful! 

MBowland
1 0 2

Merging is a necessary function of any customer database.  There are many ways a customer ends up duplicated.  An example:  Rose Thorn purchases online.  She sets up her account as R (first name field) and Thorn (last name field).  She then makes a purchase in store and we search the name Rose and nothing comes up so we re-enter her again.  Now I have some orders under one account and some under another.  Would be nice to be able to fix that.

FlirtyPineapple
2 0 3

Merging profiles is imperative for retaining customer loyalty. What's the point of showing how many orders someone has made when they may have different profiles? 

For us, it happens most when a customer enters their information incorrectly. Of course, I can revise it on that order, but now the customers profile is inaccurate for the number of orders they made. It may seem small, but when building customer loyalty, it is extremely imperative.

PapaOutang
2 0 1

As an example:

1. a customer made a mistake in his email during his second order. Thus a new (duplicate) customer account was created (hence not linking the new order with the previous one, treating it as a new customer who was making his first order).

2. Editing the email to correct it (and thus making it the same email as the one used in the previous order) does not re-establish the link between the two "customers" who are in fact the same person. 

=> Expected Shopify behaviour would be that correcting the email should "re-connect" the purchase history of both "customers".

Paul_vd_Dool
Shopify Partner
89 6 82

@PapaOutang, I recommend looking into changing the customer on the order.

1. Click on the 3 dots in the top right corner above the customer name

2. Click "Remove customer"

3. Confirm you want to remove the customer

4. Where the customer name was there is now an input field

5. Find the correct customer account

6. The order is now linked to the chosen customer account

7. Be sure to also update the email address and/or phone number on contact information section of the order

8. You can choose to remove the other customer account as soon as it has no orders associated to it anymore

Doppelganger - Managing duplicate user accounts
PatchPat
Tourist
3 0 0

ETA: Pretty sure I messed up my comment in this forum tho. Haha. In case it's not appearing as a reply, what's working for me is what Paul_vd_Dool  suggested.

This is working for me! It would still be WAY better to be able to just select every duplicate account and have a single action that allows you to bulk merge them (or even one at a time would be a time saver) into an existing account of your choosing.

But in the meantime, especially because I am such small potatoes, doing it manually like this is definitely a workaround that will help me. Thank you!

PapaOutang
2 0 1

It worked perfectly, Thanks for taking the time to help : )

edcorusa
Excursionist
15 0 3
A few issues with this. First, I do not have three dots I have an "X", not that big a deal. But the main issue is that it does not transfer the Timeline posts. So, if you have any Timeline posts, like when an order was created and such for the customer, you lose it. This is a work around, but not a fix of the problem at hand. This does not truly merge customer accounts.
PatchPat
Tourist
3 0 0

Agreed on all counts. It worked for me, but as a workaround. I was able to consolidate the customer's complete order history into one account by manually changing the customer associated with each order and archiving/disabling the duplicates once they had 0 orders associated.

Timeline comments and auto entries for invoice, shipping, etc were not transferred. I lost that as well as the earliest "customer since" info, which was associated with one of the duplicate accounts that the customer is no longer using. I definitely want a true merging functionality and think it should be a priority for Shopify to make this feature available and accessible.

Paul_vd_Dool
Shopify Partner
89 6 82

They're currently working on a "true" solution.

At the start of June I got asked to be a part of a beta program for a "Customer Profile Merge" feature. I'm still waiting to hear more about it. I believe they are still working out some kinks.

NatalieCreamCo
1 0 2

We see this happening when people check out on their phones and use a separate email from their core account. Would really like to see this feature prioritized.

Parmengo
Tourist
3 0 0

I agree with you this is a basic functionality and it is RIDICULOUS that it's taken more than 5 years to get it fixed.  We've had Shopify for the past 7 years and all they have done is increase their price and drastically reduce functionality. Time to go somewhere else.

Cathyem
Tourist
4 0 2

Sometimes customers make a new account or checkout as a guest because they might have forgotten their login info etc. This is a huge pain when people are collecting points on our loyalty scheme.  Merging customers is a must!

badnicolez
2 0 2

We desperately need the ability to merge customer accounts or at least have two accounts have the same email address. Would it be easier and quicker for you to fix that functionality?

When a customer enters an email address with an error in it, it creates a new account and we have literally no way to fix this issue. It negatively affects the customer because of our rewards program being linked to the amount they spend with us. We also have customers create new accounts instead of updating their original account with the new email address. 

CVT
Excursionist
19 0 7

I like this suggestion a lot. Unlike most of the folks on this thread, I do not think adding this function will be easy. I think it's necessary but seems like a much better first step is reducing the creation of duplicate records. Thanks Badnicolez!

osm123
2 0 2

It actually is fairly simple but it would require having companies in shopify then multiple names orn emails can be associated with the same account. Thing is they only have this in the plus which costs $2,000 a month. Even me $50 a month crm has this functionaliy. 

badnicolez
2 0 2

Even better, what if they just made it possible to move orders to different accounts instead of having to merge them? Then we could just move the orders and delete the empty account. Seems like that might be a quicker and easier solution as well for the developers.

Paul_vd_Dool
Shopify Partner
89 6 82

Hi Nicole,

That's currently possible. Follow these steps.

1. Click on the 3 dots in the top right corner above the customer name

2. Click "Remove customer"

3. Confirm you want to remove the customer

4. Where the customer name was there is now an input field

5. Find the correct customer account

6. The order is now linked to the chosen customer account

7. Be sure to also update the email address and/or phone number on contact information section of the order

8. You can choose to remove the other customer account as soon as it has no orders associated to it anymore

There are some downsides to this though. First, it can be quite cumbersome as you'll need to do this for all orders that are made on duplicate accounts. Second, it doesn't combine the customer timeline. Some information will get lost.

MichelPlante
Tourist
8 0 5

Paul, I'm sorry and I understand you have an app to push, but THIS is not the solution, the downsides you mention (especially the 2nd one) which is basicclay the most annoying effect of having same peole under different account, just make it an undesirable solution. What we need ia real Merge accounts like the one in Klavio (exemple) Sorry :my 2 cents'  ...

MichelPlante
Tourist
8 0 5

Abosolutelly. A simple CRM like Pipedrive has this function, you have the 2 accounts side by side, check the info you want to keep, then [ MERGE ] ...