FROM CACHE - en_header

Merge Customers

Solved
makers18
Excursionist
21 0 214

Has there been any updates or progress on the ability to MERGE CUSTOMER ACCOUNTS that are duplicates?  We have a ton and we basically began online sales in early March.  This is really needed to keep up with past orders and preferences.  We also offer rewards for our repeat customers and this system has really made tracking sales difficult.  

Replies 415 (415)
Paul_vd_Dool
Shopify Partner
92 6 85

Hi Michelle,

I totally agree. It's a step in the right direction but not perfect.

But Shopify is working on a proper solution. They've recently (1,5 weeks ago) asked me to review some code documentation for a merge functionality. It seems you'll be able to merge two accounts. From the current state of the documentation it does not seem you'll be able to decide which information from which account you want to keep. But rather you choose a main account which the other account will be merged into. If the second account has information that the main account does not, like a phone number, that information will be transferred to the main account.

I have not idea when Shopify plans to release this though. It's still in a very early stage. I expect it will be months still.

Doppelganger - Managing duplicate user accounts
Tough_Traveler
Excursionist
17 0 72

Just to point out, the solution Paul took the time to explain actually makes his app less necessary, not more. So, helping people out by giving them the only current solution to the problem is not pushing his app (except by making the rest of us think of him as knowledgeable and helpful).

Yes, Shopify should be able to do a true merge. But for now, this is the best way to accomplish unifying orders in one account.

ShiftSetGo
Tourist
7 0 3

FYI, I was just messing around and am now able to delete duplicate accounts. For the last few months we've been able to change the customer tied to an order. But, even if I removed all orders from a duplicate profile, there was still other data about the order that was associated with that profile so that it could not be deleted. Not sure when this changed but it has to be recent. You can now delete profiles with 0 orders, even if there was at one point order data tied to that profile. One step closer I guess.

Dave-Joelles
Tourist
6 0 5

I just discovered the same thing. Makes it somewhat easier but doesn't solve wrong info being entered and another customer being created. Baby steps!

Biordi
Tourist
6 0 3

You want to know HOW we have tons of profiles for 1 Customer? Shopify does not allow edits the Customer data after the sale is made. So SHOPIFY HAS CREATED THIS PROBLEM!

PROBLEM: If I try to update the Order with the Customer's email. Shopify's response is that email is already taken. 

SOLUTION: Have your programmers update the software to ask "would you like to update the customer to this one?"

Biordi
Tourist
6 0 3

AMAZING! 2 years later and Shopify has done nothing about this??? I know I am writing to a retired person. I just need to vent.

Ori

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
4765 390 1021

@Paul_vd_Dool wrote:

From the current state of the documentation it does not seem you'll be able to decide which information from which account you want to keep...  If the second account has information that the main account does not, like a phone number, that information will be transferred to the main account

Oof hopefully that's implemented as matching content an not purely overwriting indexes so things like additional shipping addresses are appended and not impurely pure 1:1 overwrites.

So two accounts one has 2 unique shipping address another has 3 unique address the merge should end up with 5 addresses not 3.

Finally Combinable Discounts - EARLY ACCESS ONLY - Use Free Shipping With Other Discounts

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org
Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com
PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
4765 390 1021

@Biordi wrote:

AMAZING! 2 years later and Shopify has done nothing about this??? I know I am writing to a retired person. I just need to vent.

The issue is much older than that this is just a main thread.

And other shopify staff are either in the thread, or read it occasionally for use cases and merchant insight.

Finally Combinable Discounts - EARLY ACCESS ONLY - Use Free Shipping With Other Discounts

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org
Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com
aahlswede
1 0 0

We also experience this problem. 

320hss
Excursionist
16 0 9

HAHA what a JoKE they still have not implemented this....just gotta laugh. 

dreamglow
1 0 2

This should be a HIGH priority for Shopify!!!

Tough_Traveler
Excursionist
17 0 72
It is now possible to remove customers from orders and replace them with
the correct customer. This mostly does what merging would do.
Katdrawdy
Tourist
6 0 5

So many duplicate customers!  For all the reasons already mentioned here but now that we are using Shopify payments, it seems like Shopify is automatically adding a new customer EACH TIME they use a credit card with a name attached!  For instance "Ms Smith" creates an account & becomes a customer. Then she shops in-store with a credit card that has her name on it and another "Ms Smith" is automatically created by Shopify.  Ms Smith comes in a week later and uses that same credit card and yet ANOTHER customer account is created....and on and on until poor Ms Smith has a zillion accounts, one for each time she shops.  ugh! 

David321
1 0 0

The only thing I can think of is that this exact scenario creates "tens of millions of customers" using Shopify businesses.  Sounds like a great marketing tool to increase their share price.

Biordi
Tourist
6 0 3

Can you show me how to remove a customer from an order?

Biordi
Tourist
6 0 3

Forget it! I just figured it out. Yay!

evanhill
Tourist
4 0 1

Yikes. I think I'm going to Twitter with an @tobi tag for a Hail Mary. This has to be a big problem ... don't get me started on inbox 

Paul_vd_Dool
Shopify Partner
92 6 85

You can save yourself the trouble @evanhill. They're already working on it.
Last I heard they were in a draft phase, thinking about how to solve this correctly. Next up would be to start development on the first version of the solution.

Dave-Joelles
Tourist
6 0 5

So, this showed up in my admin under a customer profile today (see attachment)... however look at the note: can't be merged because of a credit card? Then another account said "...has a gift card and can't be merged." 

Back to the drawing board...

Paul_vd_Dool
Shopify Partner
92 6 85

Oh wow, they're already rolling it out gradually it seems.
It's coming folks!