Merge duplicate customers

Rich_Hamilton
Excursionist
18 0 78

After being a Shopify customer since 2012 we have many duplicate accounts and there's a significant need to clean this up. It is directly impacting our ability to manage our relationship with our customers. Here's a listing of things I need to effectively manage my customer base:

- Customers need to be able to change their own email address at will. They should not have to contact the Shop vendor to do so.

- When a duplicate customer record is created for whatever reason, the Shop owner needs to have the ability to merge the two accounts to provide a consolidated sales history. Cases where this might occur:

* Customer uses a different email address to make a purchase.
* Customer makes a typo in his email address.
* A Friend or relative makes a gift purchase and then we want to tie that account to the main customers.

We need to be able to "clean" our database as much as possible in order to identify repeat customers and to use tools like anniversary coupons, Sales level discounts, etc.

Also, since we sell digital product that requires downloading, having all a customers orders in a single interface is a must.

I need to be able to query the database on a name, and if the search results generate 2 (or more) records that I know are the same customer then I need the option to merge these accounts, including all order history.

0 Likes
Rich_Hamilton
Excursionist
18 0 78

Here's another thread from this forum full of people with the same problems:

https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-Discussion/Merge-Customers/m-p/963921#M211208

There's another one too, which had even more posts, but I can't find it at the moment.

Helen
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1289 165 214

Thanks for your feedback, @Rich_Hamilton. We appreciate that you’ve chosen to use Shopify for so long, and it’s important to us to continue to improve the platform to stay current for an evolving business like yours.

We certainly want you to have the best possible relationship with your customers, therefore, I have submitted the following two separate feature requests to our developers on your behalf. Thanks for elaborating on how these are important for the way your business operates. I’ve included your exact reasoning in the submission. 

1. To have the ability to merge customer accounts 
  2. Allowing for customers to be able to edit their own account details, including their email addresses

As I mentioned previously within this thread, the Shopify Changelog is the best place to watch for updates to the platform as they happen. Therefore, if/when these upgrades are made, checking the Shopify Changelog is the quickest way to be informed about it. 

Thanks again for taking the time to provide your input, and If I can help with anything else, just let me know. 

Helen | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
katiefinn
Tourist
6 0 1

We also are in need of merging duplicate customer accounts. 

For me, it's about point accumulation through a loyalty program and to look up previous orders.

My clerk is entering new customer info instead of looking them up first. We also had an issue with Mailchimp exporting a bulk email list which also created duplicates where an email address wasn't already attached to the customer name. 

Being able to merge customers sales and info is paramount to our loyalty program.

Helen
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1289 165 214

Thanks for contributing to this thread and being specific with how merging duplicate customer accounts would impact your business, @katiefinn. I have passed your feedback along to our development team. Thanks again, and please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Helen | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes