moving website from GoDaddy to Shopify and SEO

Dudley
39 0 0

I am in the process of moving my website from GoDaddy Quick Shopping Cart to Shopify (have not done it yet). I am concerned how that will affect my Google rankings.

For example, if someone currently searches for a product “abc”, Google will present a link to my site www.mydomain.com/abc.htm

However, once I move it to Shopify, www.mydomain.com/abc.htm will not be a valid URL link anymore (will bring the 404 error). Instead, the abc product page will be parked under www.mydomain.com/products/abc  link.

Are my concerns justified? What are my options?

Thank you,

Dudley

Replies 6 (6)
Michael_Morales
Shopify Expert
195 0 24

Hey (again) Dudley!  

I see what you mean. What you need to do here is to create URL redirects. Just head to Navigation>URL Redirects (on the top right)>Add a URL redirect. 

If you have a lot of redirects to do, then this could become a chore to do manually. You could use an app like Traffic Control or Transportr to bulk redirect all your old links. 

Maukau - Shopify Experts in Paris, France
Tommi
Tourist
39 0 2

Hi,

you will suffer in Googler rankings if you don't redirect each (ranking) page to the most relevant page on the new system and URL structure. Like Michael M. pointed out, you can do this in Shopify.

EXAMPLE
Old URL for product "abc" is www.mydomain.com/abc.htm

Best practise for the new URL of product "abc" (in Shopify):
=> Create URL redirect from www.mydomain.com/abc.htm to:
www.mydomain.com/products/abc
(it might also be something else like /collections/mycollection/products..... depending what you have on your store)

Better than nothing solutions (for instance if the product "abc" doesn't exist anymore):
=> Create URL redirect from www.mydomain.com/abc.htm to:
www.mydomain.com

The reason why this affects Google ranking is linking and site quality. Google doesn't like broken links. In your example Google has indexed that the relevant information for the product "abc" is found at www.mydomain.com/abc.htm. If you don't tell Google's crawler that the address has PERMANENTLY changed, it will assume it doesn't exist and you will be eventually removed from the rankings. This is important for the users also because all the links pointing to that URL, for instance in bookmarks, won't work without redirecting the address.
The actual technical term is 301 redirect.

Dudley
39 0 0

Hello Michael (again) :) 

I did some research over the weekend and that was also the solution I arrived with. Fortunately, I will not have that many redirects so I can do it manually. 

Much obliged, as always!

Michael_Morales
Shopify Expert
195 0 24

That's good news Dudley! 

If you need any help with the transition to Shopify, feel free to get back to me:)

Maukau - Shopify Experts in Paris, France
Tommi
Tourist
39 0 2

Hi Dudley,

the best practise is to find all (ranking) page URL's from your current GoDaddy setup and redirect all of them separately to the most relevant URL on the new system.

EXAMPLE:
Best practise:
The product info page of product "abc".
OLD: www.mydomain.com/abc.htm
NEW: Redirect www.mydomain.com/abc.htm to www.mydomain/products/abc
(The URL on Shopify might be something else also, like .../collections/mycollection/products/abc)

Better than nothing solution:
Use this if there's no relevant page on the new system or the "abc" product has been removed.
OLD: www.mydomain.com/abc.htm
NEW: Redirect www.mydomain.com/abc.htm to www.mydomain.com (home or the closest one)

This is very important for search engines. They don't like broken links and URL's. If you don't do redirects you are basically saying to the search engine robots that "this page and content doesn't exist anymore and it's just generating an error" resulting you losing the value of the page in the search engine's database.
The technical term is permanent 301 redirect. As Michael M. pointed out, this is very easy to do on Shopify.

PS: I posted here yesterday but I can't see the post. However, I'm getting email notifications from this thread. Wonder what happened to my first post... :P

Norman_Gomez
2 0 0

hello michael, i am looking for the essay way to transfer all our products inputted from godaddy shopping cart shopify, can give me an idea on how to do it ? please....