Paypal refund problem

RockItCool
Excursionist
21 0 6

Customer ordered a couple of items.

Somehow one item was not shipped.

Customer contacted me about the item, I asked if he wanted another item shipped or refund. He asked for a refund. I went to make the refund but it pops up "unable to refund while there is an open Paypal case". Seems he had opened a case in Paypal against the transaction. I let him know that I can't make a refund while there is an open case. He closed the case and I went to make the refund.

Now it seems that Shopify processed the refund despite the fact that Paypal rejected the refund. It shows the product has been refunded and added back to inventory but the item price was not deducted from the total.

I'm stuck in limbo.. unable to make the refund in Shopify or Paypal.

I can give the customer back his money by sending him the refund through Paypal but this will throw off my balance sheet as the shopify record still shows the total amount and nothing deducted for the refund.

I either need to roll back the refund in Shopify and process it again or something.

Also, Shopify needs to have a look at that process because if Paypal rejects the refund, then the entire refund should be rejected and NOT processed.

Help?

0 Likes
Anders3
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
224 1 41

Hi, there!

Anders from the Shopify Social Care team here. Thanks for reaching out today and I'm glad to hear you've been able to (somewhat) sort this all out!

When refunding any orders processed by an external payment provider (ie. PayPal), it is very important to begin the refund process on the processers end first to avoid any odd reporting. The reason being that since the funds were processed outside of Shopify, refunding the order on our end won't actually refund anything.

That all said, it sounds like you started the refund process on PayPal's end, but despite it being rejected, the order in your Shopify admin still showed as refunded but not for the total price? What is the current status of the order? Are you able to 'Cancel' the order under 'More Actions' along the top of the order detail's page? Depending on the order status, you may also need to first cancel the fulfillment first. 

If you can provide me with the status of the order in the admin and perhaps a screenshot of the order status, I'd be happy to see what options are available to make sure your records on Shopify's end are in order.

Thanks!

Anders3 | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
RockItCool
Excursionist
21 0 6

Hi Anders,

Perhaps I gave the wrong impression.

I was NOT able to work out the transaction and the refund is still caught in limbo.

Basically I tried to make a refund, paypal rejected the refund because the charge had a case filed against it, shopify registered that the product was returned but did not issue the refund and now shows that the product has been removed from the order without the refund being made.

I can't keep the customer waiting so I just made the refund without tieing it to a product.

Problem solved but issue is still there. When Paypal rejects a refund, shopify needs to roll back the item and the refund so that when the problem with Paypal is cleared, we can go back in and process the refund correctly.

Thanks,

James

0 Likes
Anders3
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
224 1 41

Hi, James! 

Thanks for providing these additional details. I've gone and sent an email to you from our system so I can better review the order and possibly pass along this feedback to our developers. You should be seeing that email in your inbox! Let's continue the conversation over there.

Speak soon

Anders3 | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes