Why does Apple Pay display a store pickup option on Shopify?

Davide_Angelett
Excursionist
12 0 8

Hello,

We do NOT have "Pick Up at Store" enabled

However, we have an issue with the checkout when customers use Apple Pay. By default and only God knows why, there is a pick up at store option (how come??). Anyway it is driving us mad. We do not offer Local pickup especially now with Covid19. It generates confusion and every day we need to reply emails over emails to explain that this is not possible. 

I was wondering if anyone is experiencing the same issue and hopefully Shopify will come up with a solution. Ta 

Replies 28 (28)

tfusarachel
Visitor
2 0 2

Strange I'm having the opposite happen. I need my Apple Pay customers to be able to select our only shipping option OR pickup in store and all they're being offered at checkout is our shipping option and not pickup. Any advice since we can't currently reach customer support right now would be great so we're not having to double up on the "pick up" option and make the system more confusing.

Cll22
Tourist
6 0 11

We have the same issue as @tfusarachel. We do offer Local Pickup and want it to be available via Apple pay.

Any thoughts on this Shopify?

Goldberrycoffee
Visitor
2 0 7

We are also having the same issue...interested in the response

Miles
Shopify Staff (Retired)
480 68 156

Hi, @Cll22 and @Goldberrycoffee!

I'm Miles from the Social Care team at Shopify. Thanks for letting me know the errors you're currently seeing.

At this stage, it looks accelerated checkouts (Apple Pay, Google and PayPal Express) currently aren't able to offer the local pickup option. We do have some feedback coming in around this at the moment, so I've passed on both your posts to that feedback so we can look at implementing this for those checkouts. At this stage, local pickup will appear using Shop Pay and through the normal checkout process. We have more information on this right here: https://bit.ly/2ZDgbJa.

Adding local pickup options into those checkouts is something we're working on as mentioned above. In the meantime, one workaround is to create a shipping zone with just the State or Province within the region of their "pickup" location and add local pickup rates to that so that they can at least be available to the provincial level. If your business relies on in-store pickup options, you can consider removing accelerated checkouts as an option temporarily as well.

You can also make use of third-party apps to implement your pickup options there. You can view a full list of apps providing this option and I have also recommended 2 below.

• In Store Pickup Local Delivery

• From $5.99/month. 14-day free trial.
    • Allow customers to select pickup or delivery date time.
    • Limit orders per slot, set blackout dates, different slots for delivery & pickup
  • Store Pickup + Delivery

• From $29/month. 14-day free trial.
    • Let your customers come to you and save money on picking, packing and shipping their items by offering store pickup.
    • Flexible shipping calendar with blackout dates, advanced notice, future order restrictions.

I appreciate your patience while we work to implement these changes.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

spacehotdog
Visitor
3 0 0

This is extremely helpfull!

I have two questions:

1. Can you still have other shipping options available when you have custom shipping rates?

Is there any way for a smaller location than states for shipping zones? 

Do any of these apps work with accelerated payments? 

Thanks! 

Miles
Shopify Staff (Retired)
480 68 156

Hi, @spacehotdog!

Thanks for your questions. I've answered them below, but if you need further guidance, please let me know and I'll be happy to take a look for you.

Other Shipping Options
You can absolutely mix shipping methods together using the built-in shipping features. In the same zone, you can add multiple shipping options. The checkout will display all available options to the customer.

Here's an example of how that could look:

In the example above, I have 5 different shipping options for the one zone. In the checkout, the customer will be shown all the relevant options. In the example below, it shows them all of the options (except free shipping, as the cart total is under $100):

Smaller Shipping Areas
Using Shopify's built-in shipping rates, you're not able to go below region/state level. To do this, you would need to use the pick-up in store (at the expense of losing the accelerated checkout pickup option), or use an app.

Accelerated Payments on Apps
The use of accelerated payments would depend on the app you've chosen to set up your rates with. Generally speaking, most shipping apps would automatically adhere to your checkout, but it's always best to double-check with them. When you view an app in the Shopify App Store, you'll see a section where you can request support. This will allow you to send a message to the app developer, who will respond via email.

In summary, custom shipping options are a great choice, but if you do need a smaller pool for local delivery, your best bet is to use an app. Accelerated payments should work with their setups - but it's always best to check with them directly to be sure.

Please let me know if you require any other assistance.

Anderson7
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi @Miles,

Hoping you can help with an issue I'm having re Apple Pay....

I seem to be receiving quite a few orders where the customer has not realised they have selected 'Collect in Store'.  After a little investigation I've found that when the customer is paying with Apple Pay it selects COLLECT IN STORE as the default method - see attached.  

Do you know if there is a way for the regular delivery to be the default method?

IMG_8632.jpg

Many thanks

Mark

Miles
Shopify Staff (Retired)
480 68 156

Hi, @Anderson7!

Thanks for your question.

I've had a look at your website (using the screenshot from your comment). From what I could tell when checking out with Apple Pay as well as checking out through the normal checkout is that you have our built-in Store Pick Up option enabled, but you also have a "Collect Instore" option enabled in your shipping settings. When going through the checkout without Apple Pay, I can see "Collect Instore" as well as "FREE UK Shipping - Orders +£250".

To ensure your Apple Pay customers don't see this option, you'd need to remove this option and just leave the built-in pickup option enabled (see the screenshot below).

Note: if you do this, as per the threads above, Apple Pay customers will no longer have the option to pick up the items in store, and will only see delivery options.

Your other option is to remove the pickup tab on the first page of your shipping. Then, you can delete the "Collect Instore" rate and re-add it underneath the shipping options, so that it displays last in the list. Apple Pay will automatically default to the first option displayed for shipping in your checkout, which is why your customers are currently seeing that as the default option.

If you do have any questions on this, please let me know and I'll be happy to clarify any confusion you have.

wccrane51
Visitor
2 0 1

Yes Miles, you were helpful. However, I am another shop that would like my express payout customers to be able to select local pick-up !!!

Miles
Shopify Staff (Retired)
480 68 156

Hi, @wccrane51!

Thanks for letting me know you're keen on this feature as well. I've added your details to our current feedback feature request. We're aware of the current limitations with this and our team is looking to implement this in future. I cannot guarantee a timeframe for this at the moment, but I encourage you to read through my previous replies on this thread for possible workarounds. If those workarounds are not suitable, please let me know so we can work together and try to find a way around this issue for you.

Thanks!

dontyacant
Tourist
5 0 1

Hi Miles,

Our issue is related to these issues but a little bit different - We have two options for customers to get their orders - local delivery and shipping. When customers use an accelerated shipping method they only see shipping. We would like them to see both options regardless of how they pay. Why are these issues occurring with accelerated pay? How can we fix it?

We are not using a 3rd party app for delivery.

thanks!

Miles
Shopify Staff (Retired)
480 68 156

Hi, @dontyacant!

Thanks for letting me know you're having the same issues. At this stage, both local pickup and local delivery are not supported with Accelerated Checkout. If the customer chooses an accelerated checkout method other than Shop Pay in the first step of the checkout, then the delivery option is not available. If the customer pays using Apple Pay, Google Pay, Amazon Pay, or PayPal, they will only see the option for the main delivery selection.

I'd also like to note that this is a known limitation and not a bug, so I've passed on your feedback to the team to consider. I think it makes sense to offer all options using accelerated checkouts, so I'm behind you 100%. Passing on this feedback for you won't guarantee a change will occur, but as I mentioned earlier, the more feedback we get on things that Shopify does not offer, the higher chance it will be considered.

Thanks!

Jeremy_Griffin
Shopify Partner
7 0 4

Hi Miles, Any further progress/status updates on this limitation re. Apple Pay and local pickup?

Cheers,

racquetb
Tourist
4 0 2

Asking this entire community if there is any recent development on this simple need?

racquetb
Tourist
4 0 2

Hi Miles

Following up on your comment dated end 2020. We are www.bechocolat.com. Still the same issue: Several of our customers expressed the same concern that expedited checkout (using ApplePay) does not show local pickup, and they do not want to pay 8$ shipping when they live down the street. For us, they either delay their purchase to a future store visit, which we could have ready for them, or not buying at all.  
With Thanksgiving and increased in-store foot traffic coming soon, we need this solved. Your ApplePay plugin is able to pass calculated shipment rates (the basic function is fairly well done) it HAS TO include 'pickup in store' by now. Would you prioritize this functionality in the pipeline? It seems a lot more simple than the custom shipping rates that are already there. And for us every sales count, it is super useful to stay organized (and not lose business).

WoodenTops
Visitor
1 0 1

Hi Miles,

We are also having this problem too whereby Applepay payments are automatically taking our full shipping rate off customers without giving them the option of local delivery or collection from store - during Covid here in the UK you would think that this would have been a priority for Shopify to sort out as many stores are trying to offer different delivery options to retain business.

It's causing no end of problems as we are having to refund shipping charges constantly which in essence with Shopify's update saying that you will no longer be refunding fees is going to cost us money. 

My store is https://wooden-tops.myshopify.com

Sophia 

Inkwell
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi Miles,

I have also been experiencing this accelerated pay issue for some time and would like to add my name to the list requesting the feature be added for local pickup and delivery.

Cheers!

Andrea

browniebarstore
Visitor
2 0 0

We have a shipping option available in our store, but we let customers select delivery day. And Apple Pay skips the step where customer can select delivery day. Can you advise if there is any workaround for this issue?

silasstarr
Visitor
2 0 3

This isn't true. When I was on BigCommerce, ApplePay and Google had an option for shipping/pickup within their payment ecosystems. This issue is a @Shopify issue and I wish it could be fixed, as it is very confusing to customers and leads to lost sales.

Miles
Shopify Staff (Retired)
480 68 156

Hi, @Davide_Angelett!

I'm Miles from the Social Care team at Shopify. Welcome to the Shopify Community.

As you haven't linked your store, I was unable to test this for you, so I will walk you through some of the possible reasons you're seeing pickup options for payments with Apple Pay.

Jump into Settings > Shipping and Delivery and scroll down to the Local Pickup section. Make sure the location there says "Does not offer pickup". If it doesn't, click into it, and make sure you turn it off. If it is off, head to "manage rates" at the top of the shipping page, and just make sure no pickup options are selected in any of your zones.

If the above doesn't resolve the problem, please reply to this thread with a screenshot of the pickup option you see when paying with Apple Pay, and a link to your store so I can test it out for you.

Thanks!

WildBeeBoutique
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi - I am having a similar problem, but I don't know if it's coming through Apple Pay or what.  My local pick up options are turned off, but some customers still get the option for pick up and then don't pay shipping - this is costing me a lot of money.  Here is an example Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 12.48.59 PM.png

Miles
Shopify Staff (Retired)
480 68 156

Hi, @WildBeeBoutique!

Thanks for sending through the screenshot. It looks like an app called CommentSold is responsible for this one. CommentSold is a non-supported third-party app, so I'm not sure of what the app does, but looking at that timeline, it looks like the order was placed via that app. Do you have shipping set up in there at all? If so, you may need to remove the shipping options displayed in there, as it looks like Local Pickup was added as a note. If you're not sure how to remove or update that, my best advice would be to reach our directly to them for assistance.

It's also worth noting that the payment processor also seems to be CommentSold, so I can see no indication of whether this was paid via Apple Pay or another method.

I'd be interested to see how this pans out, so please feel free to let me know by replying to this thread so other people with the same issue can also resolve this on their end. If CommentSold advises you that they are unable to fix this, please also let me know then, and I'll be able to take a deeper look into this for you.

Thanks!

GediminasM
Tourist
5 0 4

Miles, you replies are quite misleading, because our customers using ApplePay are not offered any delivery options. We have 3 delivery options but ApplePay just skips this step entirely. I had to disable ApplePay for this reason. Any ideas as to when Shopify will be able to offer proper checkout for ApplePay customers?

Miles
Shopify Staff (Retired)
480 68 156

Hey @GediminasM!

Sorry if the above thread is a bit confusing. There are a couple of different situations people have raised, but based on your comments, your current issue is around the local pickup and delivery options not displaying.

If you're using Local Pickup and Delivery on Shopify, these options will not appear for accelerated checkout (Apple Pay, Google Pay, etc). This is a known limitation with these providers and we're working to implement these at a later date.

One workaround in the interim is to create a shipping method. I have supplied this earlier and you can find it here.

I'll add your feedback to the work being done to implement this feature. In the meantime, I suggest using the workaround above. If you have any questions, please let me know.

GediminasM
Tourist
5 0 4

Hi @Miles , thanks for the reply. Just to elaborate, I am using three different shipping methods within my country: inter-city, intra-city and local pickup. As you can probably see, not being able to select them when using Apple Pay is a big problem so I had to disable Apple Pay. This is exacerbated by the fact that our courriers have an interface with the shop so the deliveries are assigned to them automatically based on the delivery method chosen by the customer...

Katya_
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Miles,

We have similar issue with the previous one but a bit different. We have only free shipping option available in our store, but we let customers select delivery day. And Apple Pay skips the step where customer can select delivery day. Can you advise if there is any workaround for this issue?

Thanks!

michaelduff
Tourist
4 0 5

We (inyourfaceskincare.com) would also like the ability for Express Shoppers (Apple Pay, etc.) to be able to select "Local Pickup." Thank you!

Island-ish
Tourist
6 0 3

Did this ever get solved for you? We run into so many issues with this as we have an active brick and mortar with people wanting free pick up and using Apple and google pay. @Shopify