Problems Printing shipping labels on Dymo LabelWriter 4XL

Texomatans
Visitor
1 0 1

I am trying to print a shipping label for a product that was sold and the Dymo printer is only printing half the label.  The test label prints fine but on my customers shipping label the preview is showing only half the label.  The paper size is set a 4X6 which is the correct size and scale is 100%.  I can take the scale down to 50% and all the information is there but it is really small at that point.  Anyone have any suggestions on a solution to this?

Thanks

Replies 24 (24)

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @Texomatans

Rae from Shopify here. Welcome to the Community! 

I can certainly take a closer look into this situation, and help ensure your shipping labels are printing correctly. 

When printing a label from your Shopify admin, are you following these steps? If so, after you buy the shipping label, on the 'Print shipping label' screen, make sure you've selected '4 x 6' as the format here: 

20-12-wv0w5-021hd.png

If you see the size '8.5 x 11' showing here instead, just click 'Change format' to select '4 x 6'

When you select this size and click 'Print shipping label', a print dialogue will appear on your computer to show a preview of the label. On this dialogue, is the label displaying correctly, or does it look cut off? 

Please keep me posted on how this goes, and if you're able to print a label successfully after following these steps! 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

RaquelC
Visitor
1 0 0

First time encountering this issue:  I used to be able to print on my Dymo4XL with no issues, but now it automatically saves the label as PDF and the format is saved as landscape.  When i attempt to change the landscape to portrait it still doesn't help and it keeps printing the label as landscape and it comes out small.  It should be as portrait but not even changing it on my settings has helped.

I'm not sure why it's even coming out as PDF

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @RaquelC

Thanks for reaching out about this. 

Has this same problem happened with multiple shipping labels, or only one label?

Selecting the 'Change format' option before purchasing a label and ensuring you're choosing the '4 x 6' size may help resolve this. This is shown on the screenshot I shared above. If you've already purchased a label and need to change the format of it, you can void it, and then repurchase it in the correct size and format. 

Additionally, which browser are you using to print out shipping labels? Have you tried using another supported browser to see if the same issue occurs? To check this, I recommend using either Firefox, Chrome, or Safari to try printing a new label. 

Please give these steps a try, and let me know if this resolves things! 

moonglo
Visitor
1 0 0

Finally found it! Thank you!

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @moonglo

Thanks for following up to let us know you were able to find the correct page.

To clarify, was there a specific step you were running into troubles with, or somewhere in your admin where you were getting stuck? If so, feel free to share more information on this and I'll be happy to help clear up any confusion. 

In the meantime though, to find the page in your admin where you can change the shipping label format, just follow these steps: 

1. Log in to your Shopify admin. 
  2. Click 'Orders'
  3. Click on the order that you've already purchased a shipping label for. 
  4. On the righthand side of the page under 'Print options', click 'Change format'. We recommend using the '4 x 6' size. 
  5. Click 'Print label'
  6. A window will appear where you can select the printer you're using and choose the paper size. 
  7. Click 'Print'

This help document also outlines the steps needed to print a shipping label. 

I hope these details help, but if you were referring to finding a different setting in your admin instead, just reply back to me here and let me know! 

GeekyLori
Tourist
11 0 13

I’m having this problem also.  Labels display fine, but when I print, it cuts off half the label and it only prints the first label in the batch.  

I managed to do a “fix” by downloading the labels, reducing the scale to 90% and some of the time that works.  

it’s a LOT er effort and wasted labels.  I should only have to hit print and be done. 

Shopify you need to fix this. 

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @GeekyLori

Thanks for joining this thread, and letting me know that you're running into this issue.

I understand your frustration, and I'm happy to help look into this situation further. 

To confirm, did you try following the steps I shared above to ensure your label size is set to '4 x 6' on Shopify's end before you print the label? You can find the steps to do this here: 

When printing a label from your Shopify admin, are you following these steps? If so, after you buy the shipping label, on the 'Print shipping label' screen, make sure you've selected '4 x 6' as the format here: 

20-12-wv0w5-021hd.png

If you see the size '8.5 x 11' showing here instead, just click 'Change format' to select '4 x 6'

When you select this size and click 'Print shipping label', a print dialogue will appear on your computer to show a preview of the label. On this dialogue, is the label displaying correctly, or does it look cut off?

Please let me know how this goes! 

GeekyLori
Tourist
11 0 13

Rae,

Yes, I've tried all those settings.  It's impossible to get a complete label at 100% scale to print.  It looks super unprofessional.

The best I've been able to do is to print the labels at 94% scale and it still doesn't print the whole label, but any smaller than that and it looks worse.  

Shopify needs to fix this.  

All you should have to do is hit print labels and print them.  It takes me 15-20 Minutes to print a set of labels.  It's ridiculous.

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @GeekyLori

I appreciate you following up to confirm these details. I'm sorry to hear that you're still having troubles, and I absolutely understand the need to reach a resolution on this. 

Can you please clarify which label printer you're using? Is it a Dymo LabelWriter 4XL, another one of our supported printers, or a regular computer printer? 

Additionally, which part of the label is cut off? In some instances, the tracking number may look like it's cut off, but this is typically not a problem as the label can still be scanned by the carrier to display the entire tracking number. 

Please keep me posted on this, and I'll be happy to continue helping out. 

Best, 

GeekyLori
Tourist
11 0 13
I’m using a Zebra LP2844.

Half of the bar code is cut off if I don’t change the scale.
Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @GeekyLori

Thanks for letting me know. 

The Zebra LP2844 isn't a Shopify-supported printer, so I recommend reaching out to Zebra directly for more help with this. They should be able to troubleshoot this situation to ensure your printer settings are correct, and explain how to get labels printed without the barcodes being cut off. You can contact Zebra about this here

Best of luck with this! 

Vancoga
Visitor
2 0 0

I've been using Shopify for years with absolutely no problem printing labels or packing slips until the holiday season. I was using the same Dymo 4XL I've used from the start. It started with my shipping labels not automatically printing portrait without me tell them to. Then the packing slips began printing in extremely poor quality. I'm thinking the printer is old maybe it needs new labels and a good cleaning. Nope. Not only was the print quality crap, but the packing also slips OUT OF NOWHERE started printing at a much smaller scale. Like the others, I figured out the workaround (downloading each slip and printing individually adjust the scale on EACH AND EVERYONE.

This has been beyond frustrating and time-consuming. So I decided to purchase another printer, a Rollo. It was delivered and set up today. Guess what? It wasn't my printer its Shopify. I need a fix and don't bother sending me the link on how to change my print settings while printing a shipping label. It's correct and not my problem.

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @Vancoga

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you've experienced. I absolutely understand your frustration with this situation, and I'd like to help look into this further. 

Can you please confirm if the shipping labels and packing slips look correct in the print preview dialog that appears on your end when following these steps? If your labels and packing slips are showing up in this preview at the wrong scale, or in the wrong position, just let me know and our team can help look into this further. 

However, if these items display correctly in the print preview dialogue, then it likely means the issue is tied to printer settings instead. I know you mentioned that your printer settings are correct, but it's definitely worth double checking this to confirm. To do this, please follow these steps and ensure you're using the '4 x 6' size when printing out your labels. 

Keep me posted on this, and I'll be happy to continue helping out! 

Vancoga
Visitor
2 0 0
The shipping labels are set up, display, and print properly. The
problem again is with the packing slips for me. When you create a
packing slip it opens a pdf window. In the past, I could print them
just fine on a 4x6 label portrait (as displayed) or landscape
(preferred). Now, it prints at a reduced scale either way. There were
no changes made to my computer. My Etsy labels and packing slips
continue to print correctly.
Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @Vancoga

Thanks for following up with these extra details. I'm glad to hear that your shipping labels are printing correctly! 

In terms of the packing slips though, if you prefer to print them on 4 x 6 inch labels, we recommend following the steps outlined in this forum post. These steps will help customize the packing slip template to ensure it's optimized for printing in 4 x 6 format, rather than being set up for printing in 8.5 x 11 format, which is the standard setup on Shopify. 

Please let me know if you've already tried these steps, and if you're still running into the same troubles. I'm happy to continue troubleshooting this situation to ensure a resolution is reached. 

Best, 

temobeekeeper
Visitor
2 0 0

This also fixed my issue using a Dymo label writer 5XL. 90% scale does the trick

Ophelia43230
Tourist
4 0 0

@Rae 

i am new to Shopify and just purchased the dymo printer from you.

trying to do a test print and only the half label is printing out

i have almost gone through an entire rolls of thermal

paper.

I have also check the paper size as you suggested

I thing is working

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @Ophelia43230

Thanks for reaching out about this, and confirming that you're already using the '4 x 6' paper size. I'm happy to lend a hand to work through some more troubleshooting and determine why your labels are getting cut off. 

As a starting point, can you please confirm if your shipping labels appear correctly in the print preview dialog box that shows up on your end when following these steps to print a shipping label?

Let me know if the labels in this preview are displayed at the wrong scale, or in the wrong position. If this is the case, our team can help look into this further on our end. 

I hope to hear back from you soon! 

Grace2020
Tourist
5 0 1

I’ve been back and forth with support for the last several hours. I’m having this same issue.  I’ve gone through all the steps and can’t get a full label to print. Have uninstalled and reinstalled the print drivers. Used chrome and safari and still the same result. This is beyond ridiculous. Support is telling me I have to wait for another team to come on line during business hours. Meanwhile…I have orders to fulfill. This is unacceptable. 

Ophelia43230
Tourist
4 0 0

Hello

i have to agree

i have had no success with this and eventually gave up, started printing from my own personal printer.

however, my goal

is to go plastic free with my shipping materials. This does not work when I have to get a plastic shipping sleeve for my new labels.

I would like to know the return policy for this item.

Thank You

colleen

Grace2020
Tourist
5 0 1
ShipStation solved this issue for me. I set up account and integrated with my Shopify store in about 5 minutes. Printing with no issue now and ShipStation's support is outstanding.

As soon as I signed up, I was immediately assigned an account manager who was able to assist with getting me onboarded. So far so good!
Ophelia43230
Tourist
4 0 0
Hello

I ordered the dymo label
Printer. I have followed all set up instructions and still the label
printer is only printing on half the shipping label
So half of the shipping label is blank..

I think there is something wrong with the machine and would like to return
it.

Thank you

Salt and earth vintage.

refind
Visitor
1 0 1

I am having the same problem from the thread it looks like its a shopify thing not a printer issue since its happening with zebra and dymo?? im trying to print barcode tagging labels can you advise?

Grace2020
Tourist
5 0 1
I switched to ShipStation. Zero issues since doing so.