Product tag - Can you have variant specific tags

Hubert2
Tourist
9 0 5

Currently when you create product tags, it applies the common tag to all variants under the specific product.  Is there is an option to assign variant specific tag.  Example : If I have a Product "Hat" and the variants are "Red", "Blue" and "Pink", if I assign a tag "Sports", it will tag all the variants with "Sports" but I might want variant "Blue" only to have an additional tag say "On sale".  The reason I need this is as I offer discounts on particular variants of my products and not all in many cases and I would like to create a collection of "On Sale" only items that I can then apply my discount code to.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

Replies 20 (20)

Ro-Bert
Visitor
1 0 2

I am looking for this answer as well. 

I want all the "blue" variants to show when searched. I seem to have been able to upload variant tags via cvs, but It doesn't show up in the product.

thanks

@Hubert2 wrote:

Currently when you create product tags, it applies the common tag to all variants under the specific product.  Is there is an option to assign variant specific tag.  Example : If I have a Product "Hat" and the variants are "Red", "Blue" and "Pink", if I assign a tag "Sports", it will tag all the variants with "Sports" but I might want variant "Blue" only to have an additional tag say "On sale".  The reason I need this is as I offer discounts on particular variants of my products and not all in many cases and I would like to create a collection of "On Sale" only items that I can then apply my discount code to.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

sdmca
Visitor
1 0 2

I also am looking for this functionality... Anyone from Shopify have an answer for us?

Joe_Force
Shopify Partner
1 0 1

I am as well. We not only want to tag variants for colors, but also clearance, as our top level products stay the same but we offer different colors for a limited time and don't always restock all colors. 

I'm surprised this isn't baked in to Shopify. Are there any apps that allow additional functionality to tag on variants. 

And the bigger question, does Shopify actually monitor and respond to questions? 😞

Joe

Robin_Anthoniss
Visitor
1 0 0

any response from Shopify?

Hubert2
Tourist
9 0 5
I not seen a response from anyone from Shopify not found satisfactory responses. There are probably apps that do it but have not personally tried. I am a small business and budget constrained. Shopify needs to really revamp the functionality so they are more responsive to needs of real business world.
quadri
Shopify Partner
38 0 8

Just asked the support via chat

Its not possible, the tags are on the product itself rather than individual variants

Valentina81
6 0 0

Hi there, 

I am looking for an option for bulk edit my tags so  my customers can use filters - I have more than 500 products and I can't see option to bulk add simple tags as "black" or "XL" for size, can anyone help with that. Since my store is not in English no tags have been automatically added with the same name as the variant. That is why I have to add everything manually.

shansalam
Shopify Partner
54 4 11

Hello @Valentina81 this should be possible by selecting multiple products from the products list and if navigate to More actions > add tags (scroll down in more actions section to see add tag option). Screenshot attached below.

Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 12.45.27.png

Shan | www.linkedin.com/in/shansalam

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
You can also contact me on shansalam@gmail.com for any queries
Valentina81
6 0 0

Yeah, I know that option - but that way I should already know what variants are there in each product. If it is black or blue and what sizes they are...

daphantomica
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi! Curious if anyone found a good solution to tagging variants (for purpose of filter, search, etc.). Thanks!

plfunkymusic
Excursionist
32 2 12

Did anyone find a solution to this problem.  We'd really love to be able to tag specific variants within a product, ideally to create a collection containing only those variants.  Does anyone know how to do this?

KAM22
Tourist
7 0 11

Is there any Shopify update or an app that allows you to tag variants?

Valentina81
6 0 0

Hi,

if you want to use it for filtering, Shopify added a free option for this - it works pretty fine - the app is “search and discovery”. Customers can filter price/size/colour variants/availability. 

movemama
Visitor
2 0 1

Shopify - Where is this functionality!? Seems pretty clear and simple that different variants may require unique tags! 

cdeshong
Tourist
6 0 2

Did you ever find an answer to this..? I'd really like to tag variants individually..

candlescountry
Tourist
6 1 1

This 1000%. How in this day and age can we not be able to tag at the variant level? I have a product I offer in 10 different scents and some are all year round which do not go on sale and some are seasonal which do. This limitation does not make sense at all. Shopify, when will this be changed???

ziadify
Shopify Partner
16 2 2

you can use metafields

movemama
Visitor
2 0 1
Can you explain this more?
ziadify
Shopify Partner
16 2 2

I'm not sure your issue here, but metafield can be added for product variants and can be used in the front, kind of similar to the product tag but with more options on the type of the metafield

cdeshong
Tourist
6 0 2

Same issue! Did you ever find a solution?