Solved

"Domain name should not contain special characters"

lemonbasket
Visitor
2 0 0

Please Help!!!

When i go to buy a domain name a red box appears with "domain name should not contain special characters". I don't have any special characters. Help would be appreciated. Thank you

Accepted Solution (1)
Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @Maxxxxxxxx

My name is Rae, and I'm helping out my colleague Ted here. I appreciate you reaching out in this thread with these details. 

Thank you for verifying that no special characters are shown in your name, or within your settings. Since this is the case, I'd like to have our Support team look into this further to help determine why this error is appearing, and how to resolve it. 

To contact our Support team about this, please visit our Help Center, log in to your account, and submit a support request with our team there. That way, we can help discuss this with you in more detail over live chat, email, or through a callback. 

Since this is the best way to help resolve this issue, I've marked my reply as the solution to this thread. This should help other Community users who are also running into this error. 

We hope to hear from you via our Help Center soon! 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 7 (7)

Ted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1255 115 137

Hi @lemonbasket,

Ted here from Shopify, thanks for posting your query! 

Would you be able to share the domain you're hoping to buy with me here? I'm happy to take a closer look into this with you! If you would prefer not to share the domain with me publicly, our support is available here 24/7 as well. 

Happy to help! 

Ted | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

lemonbasket
Visitor
2 0 0

lemonbasketclothing.com

Ted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1255 115 137

Hi @lemonbasket,

That's perfect thank you!

It looks like your domain name is fine, however, it's likely that your billing address has a special character listed and our domain registrar can't process that character. If you log into your Shopify account and click Settings > Billing, can you replace the wording with a different character? For example, if "ó" is listed please use "o" instead. After that, please try to buy the domain again. You can always change the billing address back to the original address after the domain has been processed. 

Let me know how this goes and if there is anything else I can help you with, I'm happy to help!

Many thanks, 

Ted | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Maxxxxxxxx
Visitor
1 0 0

Hey! I wanted to buy a domain, but I also got the error "First name must not contain special characters", I tried to change the settings, names, there are no special characters
How to solve the problem?

cloudstoreonly@gmail.com
Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @Maxxxxxxxx

My name is Rae, and I'm helping out my colleague Ted here. I appreciate you reaching out in this thread with these details. 

Thank you for verifying that no special characters are shown in your name, or within your settings. Since this is the case, I'd like to have our Support team look into this further to help determine why this error is appearing, and how to resolve it. 

To contact our Support team about this, please visit our Help Center, log in to your account, and submit a support request with our team there. That way, we can help discuss this with you in more detail over live chat, email, or through a callback. 

Since this is the best way to help resolve this issue, I've marked my reply as the solution to this thread. This should help other Community users who are also running into this error. 

We hope to hear from you via our Help Center soon! 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

MoritzKlein
Visitor
1 0 2

Hey there, i actually had the same problem.

But i just did not get it right maybe thats your problem to.

Im my case the "address" was not about the domain but the address where I am living . When I changed it in the settings from ß to ss  it worked.

Maybe its your problem too

TRG-Ventures
Visitor
1 0 0

"Straße" to "Strasse" 😄 Thank you for the tip, that exactly was the problem!