What is the process for generating my Shopify "Thank You" page URL?

ggee9227
Tourist
5 0 0

How do I come up with my "Thank You" page URL? I need to send it to an app support guy because the app is not tracking conversions (sales). HeeeLppp!

Replies 48 (48)

Max
Shopify Staff (Retired)
583 19 93

Hi, @ggee9227 

This is Max from the Shopify Team.

Each order creates it's own unique "Thank You" page we call this the order status page. It can be revisited by customers at a later date.  Are you still having trouble tracking order details on your shop? If so, these docs might point you in the right direction:

If not, let us know some more details. What app are you trying to enable? Where are you trying to review these conversion details?

Cheers,
Max
support@shopify.com

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Rion
Visitor
2 0 3

Need the same info. Right now I'm trying to set up a funnel on Hotjar. Need to drop a JS Snippet in to fire goal.  You'd need the same snippet to set up goals in GA or Tag manager though.

fonko
Shopify Partner
7 0 2

i also need to set some custom script to redirect customers to a thankyou page. My  payment option is pagseguro which has a specific "boleto" that customers need to print in order to pay, and this is not going to a thnk you page so my facebook ads are running very low on optimization!!! please help!!! how can i redirect to the correct thankyou page??

Tony_Doppeltree
Tourist
4 0 14

I need the same info as well so I can track purchase conversion in Google Analytics (GA).

GA is asking me to identify purchase conversion by:

Page URL >>> contains >>> [USER INPUT] . What do I need to include for [INPUT]?

Screenshot 2019-10-02 15.11.52.png

REDKEYUSB
Tourist
5 0 21

Come on shopify, can we get some clear guidance on this? We are subscribing to this service, there are literally dozens of versions of this same question on this forum. Store owners need to track thank you page hits for tracking on google ads. If the URL changes every time then this is unusable for google, we need a simple solution. 

MojoPin
Tourist
7 0 13

@Tony_Doppeltree wrote:

I need the same info as well so I can track purchase conversion in Google Analytics (GA).

GA is asking me to identify purchase conversion by:

Page URL >>> contains >>> [USER INPUT] . What do I need to include for [INPUT]?

'checkout' is the easiest answer. You will not be able to add GTM to any of the checkout pages other than thank_you on the Basic plan anyway. But you need to make sure that your GTM only fires once on that page by using 'first time accessed.' If you don't use 'first time accessed', the Facebook pixel will fire every time the page is accessed thus tracking the same conversion multiple times. 

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/orders/status-tracking/customize-order-status/first-time-accessed

Pazeña
Shopify Partner
3 0 2

I would also need an url for the thank you page or maybe the order confirmation in order to create an audience in Connectio. Thank you

danieltpc
Visitor
1 0 4

Hi, I'm trying to set a GA Funnel step.  Where can I find the URL for my thank you page?

Thanks
DanielScreen Shot 2020-04-26 at 7.13.47 PM.png

HandHugs
Shopify Expert
198 1 60
As far as I know, You can't 😞 the url is unique to each purchase.
varunbhardwaj
Tourist
5 0 2

Hi @Max 

I need to add an iframe pixel tracker for a specific product in our website. How to do that ?

HandHugs
Shopify Expert
198 1 60

There is no one URL for this because each order thank you page is unique - If you want to do this in HotJar you can set it up as "Contains" and then put "/orders/" in the input field. That will ping every time someone sees the thank you page - either immediately after they checkout or if they click the View your order button in their email confirmation.

SiteSpeedShop
Tourist
4 0 3

This is huge progress but let me ask you this.  You say it will ping when the thank you page appears but ALSO when they click on the link in their email confirmation.  If a customer opens the email, then will that report two separate sales for me and duplicate the value on my funnel or will it realize it already pinged that order?

HandHugs
Shopify Expert
198 1 60

It won't happen when they open the email but if they click the link IN the email itself, it might - you may be able to set up tracking in  your GA to track only unique visits?

Pazeña
Shopify Partner
3 0 2

I also need an url for the thank you page or order confirmation page for creating an audience in Connectio. Thank you

josiemcgraw
Tourist
6 0 3

Do I need to create a custom Thank you page on my own and then link it to the final check out page somehow? If so, please advise steps on implementing that. 

If not, what do you suggest for Google analytics goal tracking—since there isn't a standard Shopify Thank you Page?

Options are: 'Equals to', 'Begins with' and 'Regular expressions'. (screenshot below)

Then, which URL do you suggest to use?

/thank_you

/thankyou

/thank-you

All of these are not able to be verified by GA. Rendering the Goal useless. 

So I have added /checkout but that won't provide accurate data as people abandon carts.

Please advise. Thank you!

Screen Shot 2020-05-01 at 4.06.22 pm.png

HandHugs
Shopify Expert
198 1 60
HughC
Visitor
2 0 2

what do mean you think it will work? Where is the correct answer?

savanna_t
Excursionist
26 1 12

Same question... working in Google Analytics and don't know what to put in the Goal details field.  Anyone know what works since the order confirmation URL's are specific to each order?

Screen Shot 2020-05-16 at 3.15.39 PM.png

HandHugs
Shopify Expert
198 1 60
Contains "/orders/" should work
savanna_t
Excursionist
26 1 12

Thank you for the reply... in Google Analytics there isn't any "contains"... only options are:  Equals to, Begins with, and Regular expression

Do you know which one I should select?

Screen Shot 2020-05-16 at 9.15.34 PM.png

DBooker
Visitor
2 0 0

There is no "contains" in Google Analytics. Looks like we need an actual URL

JonWright
Shopify Partner
818 123 361

I use Equal to '/checkout/thank_you' which works and tallies with the actually orders in Shopify.

If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution

Owner of Neuralcandy Shopify Agency
savanna_t
Excursionist
26 1 12

Appreciate the help.  For some reason I can't get it to verify... do you use?

/checkout/thank_you.html

or

/checkout/thank_you

Thank you!

JonWright
Shopify Partner
818 123 361

just - /checkout/thank_you

savanna_t
Excursionist
26 1 12

Thank you!  Wish I could mark this "Solved"!   

I think this is the answer @ggee9227

JonWright
Shopify Partner
818 123 361

No problem

The_Strategist
Visitor
1 0 0

Hey @savanna_t ,

Any results on using  "/checkout/thank_you" to track your sales?
It may be a little early to ask, I know...

josiemcgraw
Tourist
6 0 3

Yes, this verified and started tracking. 

/checkout/thank_you 

DBooker
Visitor
2 0 0

I tried and it isn't working for me. Hasn't registered my sales and currently isn't verifying

JonWright
Shopify Partner
818 123 361

@DBooker That's strange. Does that page show in your pages report?

If you go Behaviour>Site Content>All Pages and then filter on the word 'checkout' you should see all your completed checkout steps (assuming you've had tracked sales). These are then the URL parameters you can use to build your funnels & goals.

Screenshot 2020-05-21 at 11.10.47.jpg

Cheelim12
Tourist
6 0 3

Hi, I have a question. How do you enable sale tracking at GA4?

savanna_t
Excursionist
26 1 12

Hey @The_Strategist !  Yes, it's working! 

And look at what @ shared... that is what I needed all along!

Go to Google Analytics & then on the left you will see "Behavior", etc.  I didn't even know that was there!

Tangarastore
8 0 0

@savanna_t  @The_Strategist   

Where it says "Conversion scripts you want to run only once" Should we replace that with "/checkout/thank_you" or which one then?

Original code is:

{% if first_time_accessed %}
  // Conversion scripts you want to run only once
{% endif %}

// Scripts you want to run on every visit

Because we just want to run it only once then it should look like this?

/checkout/thank_you
{% endif %}

Please confirm! I am kind of lost.

Thank you very much!

savanna_t
Excursionist
26 1 12

I wish I could help, but this is above my pay grade.  Maybe @JonWright can help to clarify?

FurnaceX
Shopify Partner
49 2 48

@Tangarastore,

Are you trying to add google analytics(GA) tracking?  you should add the code you get from the GA site between the

// delete this line and place the code from GA here!
{% endif %}

Then in Google Analytics you need to set up a "conversion goal" using the "thank_you" as the trigger.

If you need some assistance, I can be hired for a reasonable rate.

Scott

AbigailE
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi I'm trying to set up a GA conversion goal and have put /checkout/thank_you  but it is not verifying

Any ideas?

Cheers

Abigail

HughC
Visitor
2 0 2

Very confused, this thread does not provide definitive clarity. How can Shopify not have a page that can be tracked? Is it /orders/ or is it /thank-you/ ? Why the confusion, no other shopping cart has this issue (bug).

LittleAshé
Visitor
1 0 0

Every thank you page URL either contains "/thank_you" or "/thank-you".

I suggest seeing for yourself with a test order or viewing the page in theme editor.

This page 

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1116091?hl=en&utm_id=ad#matchTypes&zippy=%2Cthemen-in-di...

clarifies how Google will identify your thank you page via Regular Expression.

You can use this site to create regular expressions:

https://itsallbinary.com/simply-regex/regex-builder-tool

I highly recommend upping your level on this topic. You can identify any given number of sets of characters inside a text with regular expressions.

Doing this you will come to the conclusion that using the regular expression "(?:\/thank_you)" or "(?:\/thank-you)" will tell google to trigger your trigger when the TYP is initiated.

Cheers

DaneCollins
Visitor
2 0 3

I've spent a month building an ecommerce site for a client, and now that I'm setting up tracking--which obviously would be easy to setup in the largest ecommerce platform--it turns out I can't track the checkout page at all and there's endless ambiguity about how to track conversions at all.

This is bizarre.

I set this site up specifically for Google Ads, so now what?

I'll try /checkout/thank_you and cross my fingers.

Y-Designs
Tourist
3 0 1

I was trying to do it for Google Tag Manager and found these videos very helpful! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8o7CBqa-C4

dklebine
Visitor
2 0 2

My conversion goal works with /thank_you I placed an order on my own store and checked the URL on my own thank you page. I suggest you do the same because I'm not sure if all thank you page URLs are the same.

ecompro
Tourist
57 0 2

That also works

A 1 second decrease in load speed can increase conversions by 1% – 7%. Get your store optimized by a Shopify expert

sallyjohnson
Explorer
182 2 6

Hey there, you can use an app for this and these apps are really helpful and there are a lot of customization features you can search for these type of app from the shopify app store or you can use one of these apps such as Thank you page customizer  or Better thank you page  etc.

As well as, I would like to suggest you to try a good shopify landing page builder such as Layoubase https://apps.shopify.com/layoutbase-pagebuilder

which can help you and make your work easy and handy without any coding, It is a drag & drop page builder. Thanks

Sally Johnson - Layoutbase.com Ambassador

EcomGraduates1
Shopify Partner
80 3 7

You would go into any ones order  and click "view order status  page"  to view 

Blizzard21_0-1654476833172.png

We design and develop stunning websites to make your customers fall in love with your business.
5 star reviews https://ecomgraduates.com/

kalmearthmarket
Visitor
1 0 1

Was there an answer that works? I need the thank you page URL for Facebook retargeting but don't want to use one from an order because it might release the customers info. 

Daliliano
4 0 0

please i have the same issue .did you resolve it

Natural4Busines
Visitor
1 0 0

Google Analitycs 4 GA4 already allows the "contains" expression at page_location condition. 

So...I´ve used: page_location - contains - /thank_you

I don´t know if that will work. 🙄

onescales
Shopify Partner
25 1 9

There is no set thank you page as every order changes the url slightly.

Mostly likely what you're looking for is to add code to the thank you page to identify it for tracking pruposes. 

You can do this by going to shopify backend management, Settings -> Checkout -> Order status page -> and adding your code to Additional scripts

OneScales.com Creates Tutorials, How-To's and Share Insight about Shopify, E-commerce, Web, Tech, AI, Analytics, SEO, PPC, Marketing and More.