Reporting a scam store

Hughgo
Excursionist
13 0 14

I'm a Shopify store owner, Shopify has for my purposes been a fantastic product. However, as soon as I decided to purchase something from someone else's Shopify store, I was sorely disappointed by a scam website. 

After looking into the site, Strouz, I found that the store owner is operating more than one scam site ripping people off for counterfeit phone cases (Vorus Men, Strouz). In my case, after a product did finally arrive after a month, it's not the same product as advertised, and it wasn't even functional. It arrived unbranded, broken and unable to be used with multiple manufacturing defaults. After attempting to get my money back as per the stores "refund policy", they refused and offered me only a voucher to purchase another case and now will not communicate at all. Upon checking their Facebook, there are only complaints describing the same issues I've had, and they won't allow comments on their Instagram posts for obvious reasons. I tried posting comments on their FB page that were promptly deleted by Strouz.

Why is there no way for us to report scam stores like this?

This kind of store should not be allowed to still be live, scamming more people as is evident by the new reviews on their FB page. Inevitably this kind of deceit only brings down all of the legitimate Shopify operators. Is there some advice someone can give me to have these stores taken down? I don't want more people to have their money stolen and time wasted.   

Replies 72 (72)
pb-cat
Tourist
4 0 7

Hi everyone,

I just wrapped up a long chat with Shopify Support and learned the following things:

• File chargebacks. If a store gets a high volume of chargebacks, Shopify's Risk team will investigate. File a claim with your CC company whenever possible to bring the store to Shopify's attention.
  • Report the store using Shopify's Acceptable Use Policy violation form. Shoppers can use the reason "Non-Delivery of Product" to report the scams. Sellers can report infringement with the reason "Intellectual Property".

I'm not sure how many chargebacks/reports are required to trigger a review by Shopify, but hopefully those points are a resource for shoppers and storeowners. Please report where you can and hopefully these stores get taken down!

RonelS
Tourist
3 0 3

Why is Shopify not verifying the company registrations.  If Shopify is facilitating these transactions then they are facilitating a crime.

RonelS
Tourist
3 0 3

Shopify - when are you responding to this post. I am interested in seeing your response. If this platform is not secure and facilitated scammers.

RonelS
Tourist
3 0 3

Shopify - why are you not doing your due diligence? 

lio53
1 0 0

this site (https://italiansmart.it) has been scamming users for months without anyone intervening, even shopify has been alerted but obviously it is not of interest

pdescham49
1 0 2

Another reported shopify scam scite.

https://harlandco.com/

Honestly though... this vendor. 'CHICV HONG KONG HKG' and 'CHICV UK' just spins up another site every 2-6 months and starts all over again. 

Chekout the list of sites I wonder how many of these are / where shopify sites (below)

However...

if shopify added some mechaism to "verify" the merchant and log fraud complaints. They would be blocking a revenue stream. 

Feels like Shopify may be a part of the problem. 

Here's a list of sites by 'CHICV HONG KONG HKG' and 'CHICV UK

2SBest

Airydress – This scam site habitually steals photos from Lulu’s and attempts to pass them off as their own.

Annie Cloth

AreaLook

ArielAvenue – They have stolen photos AND scammed people by charging them for products they never actually bought.

Azbro

Balanla

Beachside Bunny

Beachsissi

Beaulite

BelleLily

Bellizo

BerryLook

BerryModa

Blongdays

Boho Beach Hut – Stole photos from Lulu’s and other retailers.

BohoLady

BohoFactory

Bonboho

BooBeauty – Stolen images from bloggers and other reputable stores.

Boots N Bag Heaven

Brielle & Co – Steals photos and deletes negative comments from people.

Callbeau

Carine

Charmeric

ChicBoho – I’ve added them to the list because they stole one of these photos from a blogger that features a dress from VICI, a reputable boutique, and used it on the front page of their website.

Chicbohodress

ChicHola

ChicKeep

Chiclila

ChicMe

ChicMolly

CHICNICO

ChicNora

ChicNowa

ChicPopo

ChicTale – Steals photos from bloggers.

Chicylook

Choco & Cream

Choies

Ckdress

Cichic

CICI lookshop

Colabingo

Comfyfree

Cucumoda

Cupseek

Dekorhea

Depway – Lots of stolen photos.

DressLily

Dresslim

DressLink

Dressshelike

DressTours

Ecochee (formerly known as Colabingo)

Elmily

EricDress

Eavah – Stolen photos from bloggers.

FairySeason

FancyWe

Fanysun

FashionMia

FloryDay

Shop FORGE – This photo was stolen from a blogger. It’s not actually a dress, but a top and maxi skirt paired together.

Fray – This photo was stolen from a blogger.

Girlish Avenue

Girlonstyle

Gracy Bee

HelloCloth

Hesimple

HeyJue

HiMrsCoco

IndieFit

Inslace

Jojocici

JollyChic

Joyshoetique

JudeDress

Jullymart

Jumia

JustFashionNow

KayaBop 

Kingsstart

LacieLara

Launiq

Lemonapparel

Lemonbaker

Lemonscoca

LilliGal

LinkShe

Liviane

LookDora

LooselyStore

Lopezdress

Loracmoon

Lukalula

LuluLike

LuluNina

Luula

Luvyle

Milanoo

Milk And Choco – Added to the list because they stole this photo from the Nordstrom website as well as other photos from popular bloggers.

MissArty

MissingBay

ModCurvy

ModFancy

Moditown

ModLily

ModMiss

Mollyca

MollyStylish

MolyPretty

Momnava

MookyBoutique

MyBestHoney

My Complete Boutique

MyLadyStar

Nananova

Narachic

NastyDress

Neobeau

NewChic

Noracora

Nossa Vida

NovaShe

Oasap

Oflike

Orsle – This picture advertising a jumpsuit was taken from a blogger’s Instagram page. The actual jumpsuit is available for sale at Revolve for a considerably higher price.

OShopLive – This “boutique” features the exact same product images as ChicBoho.

Perimiss

PickMyBoutique

PinkClassy

Pinkinshe

Pinsdaily_us

Popgirlmart – 

PopLuna

Popmira

PopPoly

Popzora

Romful

Rosegal

Roselinlin

RoseWholeSale

RoseWe

Rotita

Saletolady

SammyDress

Serengel 

Shecici

Sherop 

Soarswe

Souisee

StayBoho

StayingSummer – Stolen photos.

Streettide

StyleWe

Stylishmolly

Stylish Vovo

Summer Bring – Stole photos of this Lilly Pulitzer swimsuit and tried to pass it off as their own.

SunnyMeet

Swellshe

The Calibar Collection

TheStyleMode

Tidebuy

TopAbove

The Boho Boutique

TrendsGal

Villeio

Vivimuses

VeniDress – One of their dresses is being advertised with a stolen photo from this blogger’s Instagram. The actual dress is available at Forever 21.

VSChic – This dress they are advertising for $19 is actually a $158 dress by Eliza J sold at Nordstrom. I couldn’t find any reviews on them, as they appear to be relatively new, but many of their photos are stolen from other bloggers/websites.

Wanelo

Wish

Wotoba – Tons of stolen images.

YEEZIM – Has stolen images from several reputable online stores.

YOINS

YouKime – Tons of stolen images.

ZoeSweet

Zoyne

Skipiduweinau
Excursionist
21 0 20

I pay about 100-200€ to Shopify every month as they take 2% of commission. We who try to build some honest business there is lots of Spam shops out now from Shopify. Why do they should care when they get commission of all the scams as well. No verification process has not been made that business is legal and the owner as well. 

Julien40
2 0 1

Same thing happenned to me, I've been robbed by a Shopify website that's supposed to be hosted in France but it's in Canada.

A site that clearly claims to be located in France (French flags everywhere), supposed to have 7/7 Customer service through tchat and email.

The payment worked well but I never received my order and no responses to any contact request.

The site is: https://mon-horloge-murale.com/

I wish Shopify (as a leader in the industry) would do something about it, it's just umbelievable that anyone can create such a fraud site on such a big platform and there is almost nothing you can do about it.

Julien

Melloone
2 0 1
I wish shopify would pay closer attention to these bogus sellers like give them 6 months to prove themselves or in fraudulent stores ban them.I also noticed when they start getting bad scores and feedback they quickly change their names. That should set off warning bells right there to Shopify. Unfortunately I believe Shopify is more interested in the money the retailers give them than the people who use those retailers.
Skipiduweinau
Excursionist
21 0 20

But they get benefit from this even the scams are paying customers so of course they welcome the extra money. Same shit is at Facebook marketing. They not care the scam ads when they get the money.

WmH2
Tourist
5 0 1

Pb-cat, when I reported the 3 or 4 companies who were scamming through the platform, Shopify never once said that there was a formal process to report them.  Even though the stores were still open and still taking live scans...  even when I presented the invalid contact information on their shops, they did nothing... even when I presented them with invalid tracking numbers for items that were supposed to be in transit, they did nothing.  Shopify's policy to protect their scammers has been proven time and time again.  I now consider anyone using Shopify a scam PERIOD.

pb-cat
Tourist
4 0 7

Thank you for the long list @pdescham49 ! That's exactly what I was talking about. One or a few companies spinning up duplicate sites and running the same scams. I hope your post comes when shoppers search for info about those companies.

@WmH2 It would be safe to take that stance, but there are companies on Shopify who are trying to run an honest company and don't have the budget for development of a custom site. I do wish that Shopify would take more of a stance against these scam stores, though, since it erodes trust with shoppers like you and could hurt their legitimate store owners in the long run.

Julien40
2 0 1

Is there any Shopify employee looking at those posts? 

What's the official Shopify position on this topic ?

Do they just ignore all reports of scam stores their solution supports?

WmH2
Tourist
5 0 1
Their official stance is that they have a contract with the seller. They will not intervene. So it is on us to contact the seller to resolve our issue. Regardless of how much proof that I have supplied in the past to them of corruption was going on. They believe that we can always file a dispute with our credit card companies.

Which makes me wonder if we should be reporting Shopify to the credit card company as the corrupt entity to shut them down.
Skipiduweinau
Excursionist
21 0 20

Perhaps Shopify will start do something about it soon before they start lose the important customers.

Look what Financial Times wrote about them

https://www.ft.com/content/0280592d-0adf-4dcb-a831-4f8a85f414bc

21% of the shops are risk to the shoppers!

The Shopify itself is a bit scam overpriced.

Skipiduweinau
Excursionist
21 0 20

I also think this is what Shopify and Facebook do with your customer data not only by the scammers. 

Shopify has been one of the big corporate winners of the pandemic, with brick-and-mortar retailers rushing to the platform — which offers tools to quickly start selling online — as lockdowns took effect. But con artists have been just as nimble. Some shops appeared to be fronts for collecting personal data without any intent to actually deliver a product, FakeSpot said. It also identified a range of other issues including brand infringement and extremely poor customer service.

MrMagpie
2 0 0

This one has popped up too - I've removed the hyperlink to prevent accidental clicks through. They've ran a sponsored facebook ad on the 23rd December going to this same link, which is a pretend article imitating a UK newspaper website. All links on the site go to the same place and the article is fake too. I've reported to Facebook, but shocked that Shopify have no reporting function for stores that I assume are breaching some T&Cs. 

Hopefully me putting this here might provoke someone at Shopify to investigate further to ensure their reputation isn't suffering: 
https://travel-bench.myshopify.com/apps/lpao/bsab/?fbclid=IwAR0JHWL6SVZ5sRJoYDTQacZc01uK_Kv9bPvLhqYmFLl-moj0OV6qJTsTK1I  

Actually just as I write this there's now a redirect to http://ww6.ilovechaina.com/ from the above link, so the person behind this is likely still active. 

MrMagpie
2 0 0

Another one and seemingly no response from Shopify on this thread:
https://enprofrira.myshopify.com/products/singita-sweni-game-lodge?fbclid=IwAR0BxRDYzCOYugLdf3enTVc8tXzVjnDk7MohrZGQY_R7x1kEURFrq6XHaww  

Ran on a Facebook sponsored ad (which clearly looked fake) and links to a fake Daily Mail article hosted on Shopify. This is harming the reputation of Shopify! 

Ninagt33
Tourist
3 0 0

I just ran into same issue.

This store Justincase LA is scamming people trying to sell phone cases.

SHOPIFY - How are you allowing these people to create merchant accounts with you guys.. I will trust no store hosted by you guys ever again.

Ninagt33
Tourist
3 0 0

Seems like we are all being ignored.

I work in the Fintech industry and my company will never partner with this type of business.