REQUEST - 'Auto-add' option to 'Buy X Get Y' Discount

Ben31
Trailblazer
195 8 141

Hi There,

Successful promotions are promotions which are easy to use.

So when we force customers to refer to an explanation email, while getting them to visit multiple product pages to add multiple products to their cart, we create a far less successful promotion - or even a pointless promotion with some demographics.

To make the Buy X get Y discount more successful in 2020, it desperately needs an option to auto-add the gift product when a qualifying product is added to the cart.

That way, we create a one-task offer. Simple, stress-free and more successful.

See the pink arrow in the visual below...

Buy-X-get-Y.png

Cheers

Ben

Replies 12 (12)

Ben31
Trailblazer
195 8 141

As a follow-up to this, we installed and tested 6 of the highest recommended gift apps but they either required code editing, or don't work with product variants.

Also, the app we ended up using has failed around 40% of the time since running the promo - so 40% of transactions don't contain the free gift!

We assume this is a browser issue because it works for us every time and it's worked for others who've purchased the same products. But as noted elsewhere on these forums, because you can't manually add a product to an existing order and discount it, adding missing gifts is proving messy, requiring us to explain to customers what's gone wrong - very painful sorry.

It's not unreasonable to expect a well-supported Shopify solution to running simple 'free gift' promotions is it?

kelleysoonskin
Tourist
5 0 1

Hi Ben - we are running into the same issues. Do you mind sharing which apps you have added and tried?

Thanks!

Ben31
Trailblazer
195 8 141

Hi There,

Looking at my email, I think we tested: Secomapp, Gift on order, Upsell for products, Infinite Options by ShopPad, Gift Box and Auto Add to Cart.

We ended up using 'Auto Add to Cart' but about a quarter of the people didn't get the gift. We made it through the 4-day promo by manually adding gifts to orders at our fulfilment house because Shopify also doesn't allow you to add products to existing orders and make them free. Instead, you have to create a seperate draft order (just for the gift) which was truly mind-numbing!

We've since uninstalled the Auto Add to Cart app and are not sure what we'll do next time, hence this feature request. Hope that helps and sorry there isn't a built-in Shopify solution.

Cheers

Ben

kelleysoonskin
Tourist
5 0 1

Thanks for the specifics.  We're working through our options right now, and appreciate your feedback on apps that didn't work for you. If I find anything, I will let you know.

Ben31
Trailblazer
195 8 141

Just to clarify the other plugins didn't work for us because they either required code changes or didn't work with product variants - they might work for you.

RevitalashUK
Tourist
9 0 3

You have the same issue that we have. It's ridiculous Shopify does not provide this option straight out the box. I've messaged them countlessly who are reluctant to get back to me unless I curse in a public forum, then they respond instantly. so here we go just to prove a point. Get your ass in gear developers and answer this issue that 80% of your userbase has.

kelleysoonskin
Tourist
5 0 1

We ended up installing Selly and it has been working well for us! I recommend trying that. 

JackTheJack
Tourist
7 0 4

We are in the same situation looking for a solution to make this work. Have tried numbers of apps including Selly but none worked as they use "Draft order" system that adds free gifts at the check out, which causes conflicts with Shopify scripts and Shopify default discount system.

Ben31
Trailblazer
195 8 141

OP here, we're now bumping longstanding issues to keep things front and centre.

lincsa03
Tourist
5 0 0

Any luck with this problem being solved? I don't understand the concept of an "automatic" system that isn't "automatic".

Ben31
Trailblazer
195 8 141

It sounds ridiculous but we no longer run these types of promotions because we can't find a plugin that isn't bloated, sh!t, or both.

This aspect to Shopify is truly mind-numbing sorry.

webserviceXXL
Shopify Expert
9 0 1

This "feature" is really extremely confusing. Every one of my customers has a question about it and wonders why the coupon code they created doesn't work. I really have that question every single time.

I mean, from a technical perspective, I fully understand the problem. The voucher code is entered at the checkout. And at this step it's not possible anymore to change the items in the cart, but from a user (store owner, as well as customer) perspective, this "automatic" discount isn't "automatic" at all.