Solved

Can I automate sending shipping confirmation emails on Shopify?

joviandamien
Visitor
1 0 0

tried looking just about everywhere,on how to send automatic Shipping Confirmation Emails (Fulfilment Emails with Tracking) to my customers but cant seem to find out how to switch that on. Can someone help. 

Already shipped out all items with tracking today but none of my customers got emails for them. 

Accepted Solutions (3)

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @joviandamien ,

Nick here from Shopify. 

Great question. When you set up automatic fulfillment there should be a box to tick with different options about your fulfillment and one of them is asking you about notifying your customers that the order has been fulfilled and that it is being shipped. To configure your shipping settings you can take the following steps:

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @Blake6,

No problem at all, you can re-send the shipping email to your customers should you wish, you will need to do it manually one by one though. You can do this by going into the order in question and click the Add Tracking tab seen below:

20-01-3nv0k-87v1i

Once you click the Add Tracking tab, you will see some new options open up where you will once again see the box to tick to send the shipping notification to the customer. Once you tick the box and click save it will either re-send or send the shipping email confirmation to the customer. You can see what this looks like from the screenshot below:

20-01-hudg8-lqsyr

Any other questions, just let me know. 

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @Cheelim12,

It's very difficult for me to look into this for you without actually seeing your store admin. We can't see store specifics via the community so your best next step is to reach out to our support team about this and talk to someone in real time (for example in a live chat) about this and they can see your store admin and guide you best on it. 

You can contact our support team here and log in, put literally anything into the search bar and click "Search"

After that, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click "Contact general support" to select live chat. 

Replies 37 (37)

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @joviandamien ,

Nick here from Shopify. 

Great question. When you set up automatic fulfillment there should be a box to tick with different options about your fulfillment and one of them is asking you about notifying your customers that the order has been fulfilled and that it is being shipped. To configure your shipping settings you can take the following steps:

Blake6
Visitor
2 0 4

I fulfilled my first few orders without realising that I hadn't ticked for shopify to automatically notify my customers.

I have now selected this option moving forward.

How do I send the shipping confirmation email to the customers that I already have.

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @Blake6,

No problem at all, you can re-send the shipping email to your customers should you wish, you will need to do it manually one by one though. You can do this by going into the order in question and click the Add Tracking tab seen below:

20-01-3nv0k-87v1i

Once you click the Add Tracking tab, you will see some new options open up where you will once again see the box to tick to send the shipping notification to the customer. Once you tick the box and click save it will either re-send or send the shipping email confirmation to the customer. You can see what this looks like from the screenshot below:

20-01-hudg8-lqsyr

Blake6
Visitor
2 0 4

Worked perfectly thanks!

@Nick wrote:

Hi @Blake6,

20-01-3nv0k-87v1i

20-01-hudg8-lqsyr

md3
Visitor
2 0 2

Hi Nick, 

I have a similar issue but the difference is I already added the tracking information however automatic email notifications were not turned on. I have since turned it on but how do I go back and send emails to the customers for the orders that are already fulfilled?

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @md3,

If this has happened and is the scenario then can you try the steps I explained above where it is the Accepted Solution and see if that works for you please? Let me know. 

tsu
Visitor
1 0 2

I have the same issue as md3, I already have tracking info added to the order but I want to send the confirmation email once the package is actually shipped. Your previous solution does not apply since I already input the tracking info

AdsUAE
Tourist
7 0 4

I have the same issue -tracking number is already added but no email confirmation got sent. Now the orders are archived.  Please assist

Real
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi @Nick ,

I have the same issue as @md3.

Any solution to this?

I have already fulfilled the order without inputting an email address. I have the email address now, and would like to send the order confirmation. I tried the above solutions you recommended, but it did not work.

Please help!

Thank you!

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @Real,

If the email address was not put in before the order was fulfilled you will have to email the customer manually outside of Shopify to let them know this. Once an order has been fulfilled you can add an email to the customer but it's not possible to send an email on that particular order with those circumstances. 

@haesel there is a help guide Shopify has on adding tracking numbers which you can read here. Does this help and answer what you're looking for? If not, can you give me any more information at all about it, please. It's difficult to know why this could be happening without any more information. 

Wildcatlashes
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi

Would really like some help please , I’ve read through and followed the steps you have suggested to send a shipping confirmation but it’s not working the way I would like . I would like for it not to automatically fulfill orders and I would like to send the shipping notification when I’m ready to send it and not automatically when someone pays 

thanks 

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @Wildcatlashes,

You can change the settings to fulfill the orders manually instead of automatically if you like. This would separate the email notifications out for you, and send one at the time of purchase for order confirmation and then another when you fulfill the order saying it has been shipped. You can see how to apply manual notifications for it here

AMax
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Nick,

I wonder if you can help me. I have a similar issue but I do not see the 'Add Tracking' Button. I did not have the customer's email when I made their order and purchased the shipping label. I do now and I would like them to receive the shipping emails. I have searched all the drop down menus that appear on the order page but I can find no option to add tracking or resend (send) email.

Thanks,

Andrew

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @AMax,

That does seem a little odd. Have you already shipped the item and fulfilled it from within your admin yet? 

Shopify does have a help guide for adding a tracking number to an order once it has been fulfilled and I'm wondering if that might help you. You can see it here

If it's possible in any way, if you could screenshot the order (but please block out any names/private information) to see what it shows where it would normally show to add the tracking. No worries if you can't, this would be a bonus to be helpful. 

marioofx
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi. I was looking for this and even thou you gave the explanation, it is actually ridiculous that the option to send order fulfilled confirmation you need to have this auto fulfill option on. Can shopify not program it so manual fulfillment will send email as well? I am using aliexpress DSER system, and they do not want to have autofulfill option on because their system fulfill orders, but this is causing your system not to send the order fulfill message to customers, I need to do this manually for every order after DSER system fulfill orders. Is this going to be changed soon? Any info on this? it is actually pretty simple thing to program I assume and do not see reason why this option cannot be added to manual fulfilment. Regards

Mariusz

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @marioofx,

Thanks for your feedback on this. This would be the only way to do this now, in saying that though, I will take your feedback and put through a feature request for you. 

SMH125
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello, 

I am trying to send a confirmation email to an already fulfilled order. The email was added after the order was placed by the store administrator on behalf of the customer. I do not see a place to "resend email" in the timeline at the bottom of the order page, and there is no "Add tracking" to the payment or shipment area. Where can I send a confirmation email?

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @SMH125,

I just did a test order with the same principals (added email after fulfilment) and there doesn't seem to be a way to send an email once the order has been fulfilled unless it was sent initially also. 

You can see a screenshot of what I see in my test store order below: 

29-54-y0rl9-m6xa7

It only shows to Resend the SMS as it must have had either a phone number or email to create the order. I would say your best bet is to send a customised confirmation email separate to Shopify, in this case, to make the customer aware and keep them in the loop of their order. It's not ideal, but it would be the only way to email them order information. 

haesel
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Nick,

I have the same issue however I'm not seeing the "add tracking" button but "reprint label" instead.

Any advice?

Thanks

Cheelim12
Tourist
6 0 3

I cannot find the "Add Tracking" button on my order page. Can you help?

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @Cheelim12,

It's very difficult for me to look into this for you without actually seeing your store admin. We can't see store specifics via the community so your best next step is to reach out to our support team about this and talk to someone in real time (for example in a live chat) about this and they can see your store admin and guide you best on it. 

You can contact our support team here and log in, put literally anything into the search bar and click "Search"

After that, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click "Contact general support" to select live chat. 

EmaStore
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi @Nick - I was hoping if you could help me with the same query. I can't seem to find the option "add tracking".

Similar to this query, I already fulfilled my order and AliExpressed has shipped out my product and now i am trying to send the customer a shipping confirmation email with the tracking number - however i can't seem to find the option shown in your screenshot ("Add Tracking").

My shipping confirmation template has been updated to pickup/show the tracking option - however i am not how the shipping confirmation email will pick up the tracking number AliExpress/Oberlo.

Thank you,

Anika 

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @EmaStore,

Similar to my reply above, this is something I'd need to take a closer look into your store admin. We're unable to do this via the community right now and because of this your best next step is to talk to someone in real time on our support team. Once you have verified an advisor can look into your store admin with you in real time and hopefully find out what's happening here. 

ajoyforever
Explorer
57 0 17

This does not work if you've already added tracking but forgot to check "send notification" and completed the transaction.

TexasLocalFood
Visitor
2 0 0

Nick,  please help me today if you can.  We're doing emergency food ordering and pick up.  But the confirmation email being sent is not the one I've edited in our Settings "confirmation Email".  So our customers don't know where to pick up their food boxes.  I've not set up auto fulfillment since we'll fulfill when we give the food to the customer.  What is the email template sent to customers for unfulfilled orders?  Thank you!!  Sue Beckwith Texas Center for Local Food.

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @TexasLocalFood, Sue, 

An email will be sent when a customer makes an order and then once the order is fulfilled. There wouldn't be a way to send one in between. Shopify has a help guide going into some detail about new order notifications which you can see here. Is this what you're looking for? 

Is the pick up place the same place every day for your customers? If so, I'm wondering if an announcement bar could do the trick for you here. It would be displayed in your theme at the top notifying anyone who is picking a product up where to do so. You can see some of the announcement bar apps from the Shopify App Store below: 

Let me know if you think this could work for you. 

TexasLocalFood
Visitor
2 0 0

Thank you Nick.  It seems the problem was the "if" shipping statement in the email code.. I'm no good at HTML5 but I found a way to include the pick up details in the confirmation email code.  So now the customers get the info,  I am not fulfilling until pickup day which is, for now, one day a week at various times.. Customers pick the time as if it were size or color.  https://texas-local-food-store.myshopify.com/

We are doing veggie box pickups to support farmers who were wholesale and are *quickly* pivoting to retail (We're in full harvest mode here in TX).  It's working very well in general.  But I see we can't get the "pick up" delivery option since we don't use Shopify POS.. that's a bummer and maybe I'll sign up for POS just so I can get the pick up option.  

I sure would love to be communicating with customers ahead of their pickup day.. for example to send them pix of their beautiful veggie boxes that are being readied for pickup.. and even harvested by the farmers.  Doesn't seem possible in Shopify.  Would help get folks excited about local food and how local farms can support resilience.  We could be a Shopify poster child 🙂

Appreciate you!

Sue

natalie87
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Nick, I have just come across this thread as I am trying to add an automatic email confirmation that is sent to customers once we have manually fulfilled their order. 

I do not have the option to select "Notify Customer of their shipment" in the checkout settings under oder processing. Has this feature now moved elsewhere? 

I want to draft a generic email that is sent with the tracking number that is input when fulfilling the order - but I don't want to have to write the email every time. Is this possible? thank you.

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @natalie87,

What you're looking for might be in the notifications section of the admin now. If you take the following steps: 

Home Admins > Settings > Notifications > Shipping and it will look like the screenshot I took from my test store below. 

25-01-c2blk-50eg8

Is this what you are referring to and looking for? 

Bernice01962
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Nick

I have read through your comments and have a question.

My orders are fulfilled manually.  Unfortunately I didn't check the box to send shipping confirmation.  There was a problem with delivery and the customer fed back that it would have been helpful to have received confirmation the product had been shipped.  On your last comment you mention for manual fulfilment you will be prompted.  Do you mean a message displays?  I just see a check-box to be ticked, which clearly you can ignore as I did.

Thanks, 

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @Bernice01962,

I'm not sure where I said that exactly, can you quote it in a reply for me please to get the full context. 

For manual fulfillment if the box was not ticked, this would generally be the only way to go around it: 

If the email address was not put in before the order was fulfilled you will have to email the customer manually outside of Shopify to let them know this. Once an order has been fulfilled you can add an email to the customer but it's not possible to send an email on that particular order with those circumstances.

Lacessere
Visitor
2 0 0

Dear people,

I would like to disable shopify's default order confirmation email, because I created my own email via Klaviyo for the order confirmation.
How can I turn this off? I don't see anywhere how I can do this?

Can you help me? I will appreciate that very much!

I hope for an answer.

Lacessere

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @Lacessere,

Great question. Klaviyo have built an integration so you wouldn't disable the order confirmation with Shopify's notification but integrate it with Klaviyo. Klaviyo have some great documentation going through all it can do and how to integrate it to your Shopify store. 

It's not possible to disable the Shopify email notifications, only edit them.  

George_C
Trailblazer
155 1 145

Here’s potentially the way to work around this missing feature:

• On the fulfilled order page, click the ellipsis (three dots) in the top-right area of the order fulfillment section, then click “Edit tracking” in the pop-up menu:

B8819889-2000-4C32-821D-16E043760E4A.jpeg

• Next, this “Edit tracking” pop-up window will open up. Just click the “Add another tracking number” link, and a blank row will be added, which enables the “Save” button. Make sure “Send notification email to customer” is checked. 
  • Leave that new row blank, leave the original row’s info intact, and click “Save”. 
  • a shipping conformation email should be sent. I saw it in my order “Timeline” 

9D2CE675-A198-47A4-A3B5-31CF9AC8011F.jpeg

Hopefully Shopify is smart enough to send the original tracking info and not an email with blank lines for the added tracking. 

Monster, creature & cryptozoology patches, buttons & stickers.
thernandez
Tourist
9 0 8

Automatic shipping emails and all subsequent emails (out for delivery and delivered) have stopped working as of 02.16 when using a batch order processing tool like stamps.com or ship station. We are seeing this with multiple stores and multiple fulfillment methods. It does still appear to work if we 'manually' fulfill which is very time consuming when processing a large number of orders. When does shopify plan to fix this? This is 100% reproducible on all orders and started occurring on 02.16 with no changes to our store or others we have checked with.

Mike_Ridenhour
Visitor
3 0 0

We are experiencing the exact same issue.   

jont1
Visitor
2 0 0

Is there a fix for this? We're relatively new to Shopify and using ShipStation and have been banging our heads on the table trying to get Shopify to send the shipment emails to no avail...